Page 89 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal page 89

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Optimus, you're awesome as usual.

Namelesswonder, too shy? Awww! I suspect you'll be hard to spot in the sea of people. We might not be as hard to spot though... Look for a guys with dwarfism on a scooter, his chubby sister, and her skinny husband. Oh and... Kudos on the freehand dickerdoodles. XD

Dear Universe,
    Was it really necessary to pick this particular moment for the news show playing in the doctor's waiting room to do an elaborate, graphic news piece on wound care and maggot therapy?? I was grossed out enough already before I even got here. Waaaahgh.

Aila is offline Senior Member
    Thinking of you, Jenny. Seriously, that totally bites.

Given your waiting room tv experience, I will now forewarn you not to read Nom Nom Paleo's blog update from Cabo San Lucas yesterday. Wait a week.

Love seeing the great support you and Optimus are for each other. What lucky girls your kids are.
    48 yo single mom
    5'2", goal weight 110lb/50kg
    Healing from a very well-intentioned (but disastrous) near lifelong vegetarianism...

183.0 - CW FIFTY POUNDS RELEASED!
    233 - SW

Aila's Primal Journey

"If I cling to circumstances, I could claim to be not responsible. Only she who says she did not choose is the loser in the end." Adrienne Rich

Heheh, I've eaten bugs before. I have a deep appreciation for insects and their larvae, normally. I just reeeally don't need to see them in relation to wounds. >_<

So. The new doctor referred me to a different hospital's wound care center. Said they're really good. They won't commit to surgical revision just over the phone, of course; I have an appointment to decide that next Thursday. Then hopefully they'll have something a little more specific to do for me than "cauterize it another dozen times and wait!"

As for Optimus... yes, he's super-supportive and a great dad! This is crazy of me, but I actually worry sometimes that he's SO great that he will cause our girls to have totally absurdly high standards and they'll end up alone. (as if there's something wrong with having standards!)
    Last edited by Jenny; 12-22-2011 at 06:22 AM.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    interesting fear (if you don't mind me saying). i've never thought of it that way. maggots completely creep me out. they're supposed to be on DEAD things, not the living. and yeah, i know that the flesh is dead, but still. ick. i hope this new wound care center brings you maggot-free relief.

Thanks Saoirse, me too. I didn't watch the screen, obviously, but the audio was bad enough.

In primal news, trying to get more protein in... not an official "leptin reset" approach but it will end up qualifying, I guess. I figure it will help my weight loss as well as my wound healing!

I browned 1.25 pounds of ground chicken last night, mixed it with one of my already-meaty stews, added some boullion so it would still be wet enough to qualify as a soup. More spices like I usually use, too. Sliced that batch in half, and I'm having half of it right now for breakfast. The other half will be dinner, probably.

That's 649 calories each, 8g carbs, 39g fat, 64g protein. Yeah, there's some protein!

Question for people who know about cooking, soup particularly -- will the meat taste better in general if I precook (brown) it before throwing it into soup? Or is it basically the same if it cooks in the broth instead? I'm not sure if I can tell the difference right now.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    definitely brown it. when i add meat to soup, i prefer to cook it beforehand, make sure it's good and browned, and i generally don't add it until very late in the game. of course, that's assuming it's something like ground meat (like this case), chicken breast, or something else tender. tough stew meats are always browned and cooked for a long time.

Optimus did me a favor and browned the meat this time, Saoirse. I'm not sure if I can taste the difference, but the texture is different. It's yummy as usual, though!

My appointment with the new wound care center is this afternoon. I think I'm going to refuse more cautery if they decide to go that route yet AGAIN. Hopefully they'll have some other plan in mind. I'll drop in later and summarize the results!

(right now: still wounded, still hurts, but it's getting shallower and healing around the edges.)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Good luck at the new wound care center. I hope they can help you!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

I like them so far. Thorough discussion. No cautery, debridement instead (Do NOT google that word if squeamish.) And they used lidocaine so it wouldn't hurt when they did it (compare with the other place that basically gave me repeated chemical burns with no pain management.) I'll be whiny when the lidocaine wears off but I feel hopeful.

They also did a biopsy so they can check for any concerning bacteria. You know, again, the kind of thing the other place _should_ have done.

Going back every Thursday for more debridement. Whee!
    Last edited by Jenny; 12-30-2011 at 06:15 AM.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like they are doing a better job, but eeewww, I was eating raspberries in heavy cream while I read that
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Page 89 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast