Page 50 of 101 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal page 50

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    what's silverbeet?
    Ummm, kind of like spinach but darker and more intense in flavour. I think it might be the same as swiss chard.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Jenny, I think you're right about maybe not being able to get the day care to follow your instructions carefully. Souped up commercial sounds ideal.
    Don't get me wrong, our day care is really fabulous in many ways -- they're affectionate with the kids, they always seem relaxed and playful rather than overwhelmed. I pop in at random times of day and they're always interacting with some super-cool activity or the kids are being well-managed in free play. I'm totally impressed.

As I was saying the other day to Grumpy... in comparison, the other local chain with a good rep... I visited a series of them. Sour milk smells, sinks full of junk so you just know nobody's washing their hands, overflowing trash to the floor where kids are crawlng, kids trapped in high chairs crying with no toy or food while some lady reads a bodice-ripper... Ugh.

Anyway. The point is, they're great -- but they do have certain procedures for reheating milk or formula, their crockpots are a particular temperature... I don't want to make them change how they do it if I can get my kid basically the same health elements another way.

Same with snacks actually -- I know sometimes they give Buglet non-primal snacks but I just declare that part of her 20% so that she can eat the same stuff the other kids sitting with her do rather than being the odd man out. In Kurt Harris's terms, I guess that means we're promoting the candy cigarettes, but.

So, as for Zany's nutrition --
    1) We'll introduce egg yolk as one of her first foods.
    2) I am uneasy with the risk of super-high vitamin A levels in cod liver oil but I can certainly up her vitamin D and Omega 3. (we have both of those already for Buglet, conveniently.) She also surely gets some DHA from me (unknown quantity) and the formula (which is already supplemented with DHA).

So, based on the known quantity in the formula, I'll have to math out how much she should get of the extra Omega 3. (to be continued)
    Last edited by Jenny; 05-30-2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: to be continued

WAPF says one teaspoon from birth to six months of cod liver oil... and in two teaspoons is 1183 mg/10 mL of DHA, 803 mg/10 mL of EPA... so Zany should be getting about 600 mg DHA and 400 of EPA.

So the formula says... oh. Great. It doesn't actually list how much DHA/ARA it includes, just says that it does. Thanks for nothing, Similac!

Google tells me nothing on this front. What it does find is references to people supporting a ban of DHA from baby formula -- WTF?? Apparently because the extracted oils are classified as synthetic -- and therefore can't be included in organic formula. Some other organizations are declaring they shouldn't be included because they're possibly harmful.

And there's some murmuring from breastfeeding organizations that it makes people assume formula is OK for kids. I have to discount that argument... some people just can't make enough milk, sorry. Therefore I can't fathom the 'it will undercut breastfeeding!' idea that formula should NOT be improved to more closely approximate milk... By that logic formula should be as crappy as possible in order to drive more people into breastfeeding (yeah, that'll work... or not.)

I'm digressing. Let's look at Buglet's DHA supplement. ... oh. Turns out this IS cod liver oil after all. Duh, I'm pretty braindead lately... And actually the vitamin A doesn't look crazily high on the label.

The D in this oil is actually low, so I'll use this plus the D drops. (which she was already getting.)

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    yeah that really bugs me too. i can be somewhat of a lactivist sometimes, but i try really hard not to come off as pushy or condescending, because that's not my intent. i completely understand reducing advertising for formula on TV, but we should be making improvements to the formulas so that it's closer to breast milk (without all the marketing hype that it's "like" breastmilk). then again, i really despise the fact that pharmaceuticals are advertised on TV too. docs should have super-dry but well-organized pamphlets about the different formulas and their nutrient contents, etc. to pass out to parents who seek the information, as well as references to lactation consultants and peer-to-peer breastfeeding groups. but that doesn't really support the company's bottom lines, just the parents' pursuit of information. anyway, sorry for the rant.

i love the D drops. they are so much easier to use than the D supplements that my first kid's ped recommended. the first D supplement i tried contained artificial food coloring and artificial sweeteners. my kiddo wouldn't even gag it down. i can just put a few drops of the carlson's stuff on some food that my little guy is already eating, and he doesn't even know that it's there.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 05-30-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: double negatives

It's definitely a tricky balance... promoting and normalizing breastfeeding as the way to go, but also avoiding guilting otherwise-innocent and well-intentioned people out in an unreasonable way. As you say, giving people straightforward information and making sure they understand how ideal breast milk is... that's good.

I must say that as a mom who isn't in a life situation (or a hormonal situation) to give my baby 100% breast milk, even the "breast is best!" I constantly hear makes me sort of squirm. Yeah, no kidding it's best, I know -- but what's the point of feeling bad every time I'm obliged to mix up a bottle of formula, yanno?

You are quite obviously NOT like this, but I must relate a few stories:

There's the branch of lactivism that acts like formula is the same as child abuse. I have actually been told that I "shouldn't have even tried to HAVE a baby if I couldn't feed it properly." I mean... wow. By that logic I myself shouldn't be alive either, since my mom gave me formula.

Similarly even though we took our labor classes etc., labor with Buglet didn't work... yet I've been told "Well you only ended up with a c-section because you didn't care enough to avoid it." Gee, thanks. Bitch.

Ahem, enough of that...

What I always work on accepting is that psychologically, I need to be a little less hung up on the idea that formula is massively inferior. Instead of guilting about nutrition sources and delivery methods, focus instead on being emotionally available to my kids. So far, so good!

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Gawd there are some tossers out there!! I couldn't feed kid one beyond a couple of weeks (too young myself to figure it all out), kid 2 my plunket nurse accused me of starving her because she didn't gain weight at the accepted level and got me to supplement (that was the thin edge of a very short wedge). Kids 3 and 4 went well, fortunately - supportive new hubby, lifestyle that allowed me to relax and feed all day if necessary. My daughter hasn't been able to feed her babies and has had similar stories to yours. She rang me in tears when she decided to wean her youngest, and I could hear that she was afraid I'd tell her to try harder. I told her she'd done amazingly well to feed for 6 weeks in spite of how difficult it'd been. People just have no idea.

I didn't mean to malign the day care - just that when you are caring for so many children you'd have routines that work for you, and little or no motivation to adjust that routine for one child whose parents do things differently. Some workers would do it, some wouldn't.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    haha i love the term "tossers."

jenny, don't let the bitches get you down, you're an awesome mom! we are very lucky to live in an age when something like a c-section is a quick and relatively safe procedure.

a_phoenix is offline Senior Member
    I *really* hate those tossers. They make ordinary home-birth, extended lactivists like me look bad and make it hard to talk about problems in the medical system which may cause unnecessary interventions. (Plus, they're bitches.)

I didn't have c-sections because, thankfully, I didn't *need* them. No reason to judge women who actually did.
    First whole30 started 26 April 2011

Goals: Vitality, Joy, Play
    (also look good doing pull-ups by my 40th birthday)

My Primal Journal

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I wish I could have breastfed my girls. Unfortunately, I never knew until I was pregnant with my THIRD daughter that I have severely inverted nipples. If my doctor would have told me with my first that they were inverted, I would have bought those disc thingys that you were on your nipple to pop them out. Instead of knowing this, I almost lost my oldest because there was nothing for her to latch onto and she became severely jaundiced. Stupid doctors.
    Georgette

Oh, I know they are all tossers -- I love that term too -- and I don't take it too personally. They're just tales of crazy which I wanted to share. :D

It's still pretty sad because it means other women who are ... this is gonna sound sexist, but bear with me for a moment and then tell me if you think it IS sexist... other women who are already self-conscious and perhaps also more hormonal than usual end up having to deal with these same jerks, and they may not all be able to handle it as well.

So for example: I was shopping for a bra at the maternity store and my mom asked the sales gal, "Do you have this in a size 38D?" and she laughed at us and said "When you're that big you don't get to choose!"

Now, I know she's an idiot (particularly since that isn't even a super huge size...) and I know not to take that personally. But it was still worth telling her manager that she's an idiot because, you know, she's working in a maternity store. I've known way too many pregnant women who are freaked out that they're getting "fat" and would have just melted down crying at that point.

RE: making it hard to talk about problems in the medical system that may cause unnecessary interventions, I totally agree. Because so many (myself included) end up in this preemptively defensive mode, it's like you can't even make a statement without disclaiming it:
    "Induced labor ends up in c-sections far too often -- oh but in my case we really did need the c-section! Really!"

And I often wonder if every time I say "I NEEDED a c-section" if there's a sort of accusative implication against some women who maybe really didn't NEED it. Which just makes women defensive again.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. But, this kind of peer pressure / reading between the lines of the lines stuff is what makes being female such a joy. ;)
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Page 50 of 101 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast