Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal page 5

Optimus Primal is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    PRIMAL LEAP POST 4

Week 2:
    It is now Wednesday of week two and I only just got to looking at the workbook. Over the weekend, we had friends and their child over, and we were were very busy. Then Monday morning I learned that we were being given a surprise audit at work, and I spent the next two days working very long hours and commenting a long way to prepare for and get through the audit. Through all of this, I did not make much time for structured exercise or these activities in the book.

Over the weekend, I mostly ate primally. I did, however, try some Mead that my friend brought. It was okay, not something I need to do again and again. I only had half a glass, maybe. I did also have a few Doritos and an eclair. I enjoyed the eclair, which my friend wanted to get among other things (she appreciates fine desserts), but, again, I don’t really want another. The only pastry thing i really like is a donut. I have not had one in quite some time.

Sunday afternoon my father wanted to go to Chevy’s, specifically. While I did have some chips, I did NOT order any of my favorite frozen drinks. I instead had water. I did finish off with a small scoop of ice cream, and liked it. What was remarkable about this trip was the meal. I had a primal main course. I ordered the sixteen dollar meat variety set, and left the beans and rice out. BUT, none of the meats even came close to what I fix myself almost every day at home. My conclusions: 1) I only like Chevy’s for the drinks and chips, and therefore should not go often, if at all; and 2) I can add this to the growing list of restaurants that don’t serve anything I want or enjoy as much as what I get at home. In terms of going out to eat, the only places I really enjoy anymore (if we’re not expecting to have yummy sweet drinks) are Japanese, Korean, and other Asian food restaurants. Who knows if I’ll want those places if I decide to learn to make sushi and Korean BBQ.

During the audit I did not eat enough and allowed myself to go nonstop for nine hours or more each day. I also had two slices of pizza, which were okay, but, again, I can let go of.

Diet Action Item 1: Sweet Spot
    I’m not trying to lose weight, so I should be going for the 100-150 carb range. I can work towards that by continuing to limit/cut out sodas, watch consumption of Fage yogurt cups, which have some sugar (18 carbs). I think I’ll start monitoring daily for a while on FitDay or SparkPeople.com, considering how this week has gone so far.

Snacks that I can enjoy include Fage yogurt, some milk, eggs, almonds and pistachio nuts, occasional dark chocolate, dried and fresh berries, homemade beef jerky, and a variety of veggies. I also have a few apples, bananas and oranges sitting around.

I’ve been dealing with energy lulls in the following ways: walk around the house, do chores that require movement, occasional naps, and eating snacks (nuts, veggies), BATHS, which force me to slow down (that may seem girly, but I like them!).

Sleep habits: Again, we have a baby. However, I have begun not staying up with the baby past when she needs it. Even if I feel like I cannot sleep, once the baby is fed/changed/soothed/calm, we return to bed.

Sweetened beverages that should be replaced by water/unsweetened tea (I reserve the right to have occasionally, but am now MUCH more aware of how much I have):
    Soda, including orange soda, occasional sprite, sarsaparilla, pepsi (Already I like these less than I did, and rarely have any).
    Sweet frozen drinks, like you find at places like Chevy’s
    Italian sodas at Olive Garden (which I am still willing to have, but we hardly ever go there)

Diet Action Item 2: Primal Meal Celebration:
    We kind of did this on a small scale, since we’re very tired after having the baby four weeks ago. It was not really conscious, but we fixed a meal of huge sirloin steaks, salads for those who wanted them, and tuna salad with olives and onions, for ourselves and our friends who visited. They know about the Pirmal Blueprint, and are on a different low carb diet themselves. So, while we did not really plan a large celebration, we had a very nice dinner and lunch with them.

Our families probably won’t go for completely primal meals. But we are making chicken and mashed potatoes for some-one’s birthday on Saturday. We will also have salads. I’m sure, however, that there will also be cake. I’ll take a very small piece out of politeness. In truth, I rarely like cake anyway. But this is demonstrrative of how conventional celebrations are the opposite of Primal. I’ll have to read some journals to see how Primal folks celebrate birthdays. I suspect some replace things like cake while others consider it part of the occasional twenty percent.

I will discuss exercise and lifestyle in the next post.

PRIMAL LEAP POST 5
    Week 2:

Diet Action Item 3: Week 2 Food Log:
    Primal Day 1 (Jan 12):
    Water to drink
    Fage full fat (with fruit stuff) yogurt cups x 6
    Sirloin steak
    1.5 cups pistachio nuts
    Dinner at in-laws: Chicken breast without skin, baked potato, cooked carrots

Calories: 2548 Carbs: 182 grams Fat: 152 grams Protein: 127 grams

Primal Day 2 (Jan 13):
    Water to drink
    Fage full fat (with fruit stuff) yogurt cups x 3
    A mango
    1 cup chocolate milk (very mild on the chocolate)
    Homemade beef stir fry that included: Beef, onions, carrots, celery, spring onions, green peppers, some soy sauce, and olive oil (I still need to learn more about Primal stir fry sauces)
    6 oz chicken breast, no skin.
    1 cup pistachio nuts
    Salad, which included celery, carrot, and grape tomato
    20 Doritos (which is a small serving for me, but DID affect my carb rating.

Calories: 2,438 Carbs: 220 grams Fat: 126 grams Protein: 121 grams

Averages:
    Jan 1 & 2:
    Calories: 5,135 Carbs: 207 grams Fat: 212 grams Protein: 242 grams

Jan 6 & 7:
    Calories: 3,109.5 Carbs: 204 grams Fat: 251 grams Protein: 241 grams
    (was 184 before the chips)
    Jan 12 & 13:
    Calories: 2493 Carbs: 201 grams Fat: 139 grams Protein: 124 grams

Comments:
    I am definitely getting better at controlling my intake, and am eating more primally. Since I’m not trying to lose weight, I’m not as focused on counting carbs, etc., but am still doing so to see how easy it is to get too many or to limit them. I could further improve my diet by limiting the chips or eliminating them altogether. I don’t want to give them up just yet, but I’ll limit them more.

One thing I continue to like is the sense of control AND enjoyment eating primally can provide. There’s plenty I like to eat that is not primal, and some of it I’m not willing to give up altogether (pop corn, rice, chips, occasional sarsaparilla), BUT I pretty much like everything that is on the list of good foods, so it’s not that hard to eat primally most of the time.

I still really want McDonalds sometimes. But last time I got it I didn’t like it THAT much...

Lifestyle Action Item 1: Self-Limiting Beliefs, Behaviors, and Lifestyle Circumstances:
    There is a section that deals with working to let go of self-defeating beliefs, etc. and reframing to become more proactive, realistic, responsible, and positive. I have spent years at this in the past, so I’ll only comment some here. I think that I still hold some sense of helplessness at work, where I have often found that I could not keep up. That was true, actually, but now I have more help. When at the office (I often work from home now), I tend to feel too busy to eat, take breaks, or exercise. That’s something I still need to work on. I suppose the belief that my work must come first is needing adjustment if I am to make time to exercise and break during the day. That’s mostly it at this point, though. My bad eating habits really come from two things: I like sweet stuff, and at work I hate to stop and take time for myself. At home I think I’m pretty well balanced and enjoying my life a great deal.

Lifestyle Action Item 2: Primal Leap Commitments:

There are several discussions here: Choose positive attitude, eliminate self-deprecating comments/beliefs. I think I’ve worked on those a long time over the years. I do like the discussion about making commitments. The basic message is that of Yoda: Do, or do not do. There is no try.

In keeping with that, I have made the following decision: The area I have most failed to commit so far is exercise. I am moving around constantly, but I have not done the structured exercises. I probably picked a bad time to start this, since we just had a baby and are hardly able to keep up taking care of her, lacking sleep, and keeping up with work as we have fallen behind.

Now that I am sleeping more and beginning to feel normal again, I think I can commit to starting the exercise program. Therefore, while I begin the third week of Primal Leap, I will start the exercise program at Week One. It will make this a six week program instead of four week. Additionally, if being a new parent interferes with any of the activities suggested, I will not sweat it. Sometime after my wife recovers, we’re going back through the process anyway.

Some goals:
    Diet: Eat primally most of the time. Cut back just a little on Fage yogurt.
    Exercise: Start the exercise week one program and continue from there. Have fun.
    Lifestyle: Play more, limit TV a bit more in favor of visiting friends/lovedones, playing
    Career: For now, just keep up at work.
    Personal: I’ll give this one more thought...

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Primal View Post
    Read it! It's really really good! Have you read the Walking Dead comic? It's very different from the TV show that is based on it (also good). There's also Feed. Good books all.
    No! Didnt realise it was based on a Comic. Excited it is Frank Darabont - big fan of him converting Stephen King, wish the series showed down here.

Your progress is a good read. The Leap kit sounds like it might be helpful...hope Jenny and Zany are well..

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hi everybody, I've been MIA. Kinda silly -- usually I'm a rabid poster and then start this new journal and go missing! I've allowed various aspects of life to kick my butt lately.

However! It has been a successful few weeks in the primal sense regardless, I think. I'm still tracking my food as a way to plan meals and I've been sticking with primal foods, so that's good.

And since I still can't seriously work out, weight loss is the main goal for me this month -- that's been good too! I was 200 lbs. not long ago and now I'm 190, which is awesome. The last few days the scale has been occasionally dipping into the 180s. :D

So although I haven't been reading or following my Primal Leap guidebook this week, so far so good! Clearly I'll need to restart that on the exercise front anyway once I can do that.

And speaking of exercise, although I don't want to overdo it, I am going to the pool tonight. Not going to be aggressive at all, this will just be "move at a slow pace" laps. I love the pool, it's relaxing -- and I have my waterproofed iPod + water headphones to keep me entertained.

I usually kick off every swimming workout with the Jaws theme, but perhaps not today since I don't need the adrenalin. ;)

Food...

Not my best food photography ever, but it's a good excuse to mention some of the simple cooking we've been doing. We wrapped chicken breast in foil with lots of oil... sage, thyme, garlic, pepper, salt... baked at 350. Really delicious result. The carrots got the same treatment and they were just perfect. Omnomnom!

Right now I tend to like chicken better than steak. Heresy, I know. But at least I'm eating meat, which is a challenge for me. I've been having a lot of those Applegate grassfed no-nitrate-added hot dogs too, with dijon/ketchup/mayo dipping sauce.

Now some replies...

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    at 5'5 125lbs I feel like taking your lunch money.
    Please don't steal his lunch money. I would be forced to Bring the Pain. ;) I'm scrappy and I have a long history of biting people!

My impression is that Optimus is not looking to get totally ripped but wants a good amount of functional muscle. Definitely needs it too, to protect his back from lifting and playing with our toddler and baby! (I need it as well, same reason.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    Jenny - that blue knife immediately caught my attention - I love colored kitchen stuff too! :) I have a jar of green olives in the fridge from Halloween (eyeballs for my kids) - I wonder if they are still good...
    The knife is by Kuhn Rikon. Works REALLY well and being nonstick makes it handy for sticky veggie chopping (and cleaning). Amazon sells 'em. http://www.kuhnrikon.com/products/to...ls.php3?id=210

As for the olives, they're probably still good even if opened IMO. In my experience green olives last basically forever because the brine is so damn salty!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Primal View Post
    increased ability to get excited about preparing fresh food, being given permission to eat a lot of meat, and increased appreciation for both primal foods and non-primal allowances I have made.
    Seconded! I don't do as much food prep as you do but I've enjoyed learning various prep and cooking techniques and want to do more with you on that front.

You do tons of moving at a slow pace, all day, and all your household-related activities; I'm sure this is a big part of how you manage to stay so skinny!

Setting up the Total Gym again sounds good. But don't forget we have that pull-up bar too and the woody bands to help us get started with that -- that could be more of a full-body exercise since it is less body-stabilizing than the machine (make sense?). I definitely wanna try that once I get cleared. And fail miserably no doubt, but with enough bands on there it should be doable. :D

P.S.: We've been trying to encourage our toddler to eat steak and she's finally chowing down on it -- and Optimus is sitting with her eating, so she informed me, "Daddy meat too!"

Last edited by Jenny; 01-17-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Mog
    Hey, welcome back!

You are a weight loss machine. 180s! you';; have to post another pic soon, that's tremendous. I have never heard of waterproofed ipod...hmmm.

Steak and strawberries...nice!

Yeah, looks yummy doesn't it? :D

I'm using an Otterbox to keep the iPod safe. The old ones with the pressure controls (not a touch style) can be controlled right through the skin of the box. Handy. :)

Not everybody has an iPod just sitting around ready to be put at risk like that... but, they sell cases for the Shuffles and they're pretty cheap. Works better than the "waterproof MP3" I've tried before too.

As for headphones, I keep my head partly above the water cuz I'm a lazy kickboarder, so the water-resistant Sony MDR-J11G work fine. I do own some waterproof earbuds which are basically like earplugs for swimming, but they sound Bad.

Mog
    Does look yummy. and she is being raised to like her steak medium rare!

I have never seen any of the waterproofing music stuff, so I just need to look for it. Though is it weird being underwater with music? you know that freaky feeling of not 'hearing' or 'sensing' what is going on around you? I don't know if I could deal with that with music blocking out everything in addition to the water. But must make swimming more enjoyable, so I guess its worth trying.

MOG:

Thanks for the comment. I was wondering if it might get boring. I like the structure. Yeah, the Walking Dead comic is good, very long, and still going on.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    PRIMAL LEAP POST 5, Supplemental

Week 2:
    Lifestyle Action Item 1: Self-Limiting Beliefs, Behaviors, and Lifestyle Circumstances:

I remembered one belief that is unreasonable and silly on my part: Sleep is a waste of time.
    Obviously, it is not. I’d like to need less sleep. Perhaps that will be an effect of living Primally. It is more likely that I will enjoy my awake time more if I am rested. Either way, for now there’s a limit to how much we can get as much sleep as we need. maybe after the baby is sleeping through the night.

Page 5 of 101 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast