Page 100 of 101 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1003

Thread: Jenny and Optimus Primal's Journal page 100

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    In the continuing saga of complaining, complaining, complaining, here's how the last month has gone:

The thrush I got from my antibiotics originally is gone. Whew.

Next up, the colonoscopy: revealed a nice healthy colon with no issues other than maybe some minor diverticula that won't require surgery.

BUT I woke up in extreme pain inside my lower left ribcage. I mean really extreme; I've been in labor before and had appendicitis (and the diverticulitis) but this was bad. It didn't relent and was causing me breathing problems. One ambulance ride to the hospital and a whole lot of testing later, I went home. They confirmed there's no puncture or anything like that, although they didn't (at the time) have a good explanation for the pain.

I spent the next week breathing very shallowly and gasping periodically. It basically felt like when you get a stitch in your side from running, but very extreme.

I did some reading online about exactly what causes side stitch. It's basically a pull of the ligaments that suspend your organs from your diaphragm. So the pain made some sense -- probably one of those ligaments got pulled during the colonoscopy. The doc had never heard of that happening before but it would explain the pain, especially since your digestive system doesn't even go up that high.

Meanwhile my knee continued to get better. There was some cartilage damage but nothing requiring surgery, thankfully.

So meanwhile, still shallow breathing although it was improving, so I wasn't worried about that either...

Then I came down with major illness: fever, dizziness, fatigue, headache, etc. Between that and my shallow breathing they decided to do an x-ray and whaddya know, I had pneumonia!

Fucking ridiculous.

So here I am now, weeks later after more antibiotics. And here's an interesting theory that the docs say is plausible: Ciprofloxacin (one of the antibiotics they gave me 6 weeks beforehand for the original diverticulitis) has cartilage weakness/damage as a major side-effect. This effect can last for weeks or even months after the original dose is done.

And what has happened to me since then?
    • Inexplicable knee collapse due to/resulting in cartilage damage, even though I did nothing major that should have caused injury at all.
    • Weirdly pulled ligament attached to my diaphragm, resulting in pneumonia.

Both of those things are cartilage-related and therefore might be related to the Cipro.

So suddenly this last month makes a lot more sense.

Yeah, I know I needed antibiotics for the diverticulitis, but wow. There's another one for my "DO NOT TAKE" drug list.

I guess it could be worse; I've since learned that some people on Cipro get tendonitis, tendon _ruptures_, limb weakness for two months...

Anyway. Back on the road to recovery yet again, armed to the teeth with lots of joint-supporting supplements. Yikes.

At the moment my lung capacity is nearly back up to normal. I disassembled my standing desk (of course) and I'll try that again in a few months when I know I won't be innocently causing injury to weakened cartilage.

Meanwhile I need to get back to doing stabilization exercises along with the knee exercises the doc suggested. I'll get back to walking, but for obvious reasons I will avoid anything high-impact meanwhile. Think I'd better get back to doing sprints in the pool.
    Last edited by Jenny; 11-19-2012 at 06:55 AM.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    At least you are on the mend now. That is the most important thing.
    Georgette

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Oh Jenny, I'm so sorry! Did you know that a similar knee injury sent Dr. Kruse down the Primal path? I REALLY don't agree w/ everything he says but he does have some good points. Sounds like you need some serious gut rebuilding. Hope you have a joyous Thanksgiving.
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Thanks gals. Feeling much better now. I think my lung volume is back up to normal finally, although I still have some nights of major fatigue. My knee still gets tweaked occasionally but it's nothing that feels like a setback. More like "Ouch, whoa. I'll be glad when I'm stronger and safer from that happening."

Nope, hadn't heard that about Kruse! I don't know much about the guy. Think he's worth looking up? (sounds like maybe not.)

Status report. Doing well. I've lost most of the weight that I regained last year, so that's nice too. Now at -60 from my original starting point. Losing a pound or two every week or two. Still have a chunk to lose.

(Of course I use "weight" as shorthand for "fitness and overall health" which is my real priority...)

I got a Fitbit and I've been walking more as a result. Been roller skating with Optimus a few times too, which I really love. I seriously want to open a roller skating rink someday! Doing more push-ups for muscle workouts. Sprinting up the block from my parents' house.

Food -- it's all primal but maybe too high carb. Gotta dial that a bit more, I think.

How're you all? (If I could take some time to visit various other journals, I'm sure I could find out....)

geostump is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like you're fully healed from all the scars reopening then? Glad to hear you're doing well with losing and gaining health. Working on the same myself.
    Georgette

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Fitbit, eh? I'll have to check that out!
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Geo -- yeah, the last time it reopened was... gosh, I guess a year ago now! Woohoo!

Patrick -- I suggest the Fitbit One if you're going for the deluxe model. It's the same price as the Ultra, but the Ultra model is older.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Duly noted! Thanks!
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You're back!!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy