Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The more I learn, the more I am confused page 3

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I hear you WeirdSteve. I am ex-LDS as well. Nothing against any that have chosen to stay. It just wasn't for me. As far as the Word of Wisdom goes, it mentions "hot drink". I grew up learning that meant coffee and tea. However, it seems that both coffee and tea are considered fairly healthy in moderation. I am not sure what was meant by "hot drink" exactly though.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had oatmeal in almost a year, and I used to eat it everyday. You are capable of any change you WANT to make.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lojasmo View Post
    Religion is not a good source for scientific information (among other things)
    +1. It's funny how people, myself included, could at times be both rational (as much as we ever are), scientific and then believe choose faith...which is best defined as belief without evidence.

Quite some years ago, I chose that my beliefs needed to be based on evidence or what I could logically construct based on the evidence. Believing in religion and god, is to me, tantamount to believing in, or worshiping, pink unicorns on Saturn.

Christopher Hitchens was absolutely right when he titled his book god is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. It's not hyperbole, it's not drama, it absolutely poisons everything. This thread proves the point. Out goes clear, rational thinking (with a nod to our unfortunate but evolved cognitive biases), poisoned, again, by religion which is nothing more than fantasy and fairytales.

The fear of hell or the desire to enter a (mythological) heaven seems to be poor motivation to do good when compared to the fact that we have only this one life to live....and not a day more. To me, that is eminently inspiring and all the motivation I need to be good (as much as I can), to do good and to live the very best life I can create for myself and my family.

Religion, on the other hand? I can't say that it's done such a great job. You can all think of many examples that illustrate that with clarity....aside fromt the obvious ones of...oh, the crusades, our current situation with terrorism and even something most will downplay in a most cruel way: circumcision. Religion, so so commonly, takes very good, otherwise thinking people, and causes them to do horrible, awful, unimagineable things.

Sam Harris is very readable...and a rather spiritual atheist interestingly.
    Christopher Hitchens is brilliant beyond measure.
    The Friendly Atheist is a good blog to start with.
    Nietzsche is good reading.

There is so much out there and once delving into it, the epiphanies become really embarassingly obvious.

All the best,
    Katherine
    Last edited by cillakat; 01-18-2011 at 09:07 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I have a ton of links bookmarked in my stumbleupon

username: cillakat
    tags: religion, atheism, christopher hitchens, sam harris

Public Reality Radio is also a great site for programming and has links to TONS of good podcasts.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    +1. It's funny how people, myself included, could at times be both rational (as much as we ever are), scientific and then believe choose faith...which is best defined as belief without evidence.

Quite some years ago, I chose that my beliefs needed to be based on evidence or what I could logically construct based on the evidence. Believing in religion and god, is to me, tantamount to believing in, or worshiping, pink unicorns on Saturn.

Christopher Hitchens was absolutely right when he titled his book god is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything. It's not hyperbole, it's not drama, it absolutely poisons everything. This thread proves the point. Out goes clear, rational thinking (with a nod to our unfortunate but evolved cognitive biases), poisoned, again, by religion which is nothing more than fantasy and fairytales.

The fear of hell or the desire to enter a (mythological) heaven seems to be poor motivation to do good when compared to the fact that we have only this one life to live....and not a day more. To me, that is eminently inspiring and all the motivation I need to be good (as much as I can), to do good and to live the very best life I can create for myself and my family.

Religion, on the other hand? I can't say that it's done such a great job. You can all think of many examples that illustrate that with clarity....aside fromt the obvious ones of...oh, the crusades, our current situation with terrorism and even something most will downplay in a most cruel way: circumcision. Religion, so so commonly, takes very good, otherwise thinking people, and causes them to do horrible, awful, unimagineable things.

Sam Harris is very readable...and a rather spiritual atheist interestingly.
    Christopher Hitchens is brilliant beyond measure.
    The Friendly Atheist is a good blog to start with.
    Nietzsche is good reading.

There is so much out there and once delving into it, the epiphanies become really embarassingly obvious.

All the best,
    Katherine
    +1,000,000

It's time for people to realize that religion is not functional, nor are its teachings true. It's time to evolve past that point.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

WeirdSteve is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I hear you WeirdSteve. I am ex-LDS as well. Nothing against any that have chosen to stay. It just wasn't for me. As far as the Word of Wisdom goes, it mentions "hot drink". I grew up learning that meant coffee and tea. However, it seems that both coffee and tea are considered fairly healthy in moderation. I am not sure what was meant by "hot drink" exactly though.
    Yeah, I apologize to the faithful if I was a little snarky, but I think the LDS church owes its members some clarification on this subject.
    What's that old joke about Utah? It's the only place where Coca-Cola is considered a hot drink! Since coffee and tea have caffeine in common, many assumed that was the issue, and avoided caffeinated beverages altogether even though church officials have no stance on the issue.

My dad once took the passages I quoted, and others, as justification to start the Atkins diet back in 90's. To me it sounds like, technically, Mormons should be grain-free vegetarians any time fruits and vegetables are available, which is always in this day and age. But from my experience, grains are upheld as the base of the Mormon diet, and I have never once met a Mormon vegetarian. Grains make sense for food storage though, which Mormons are supposed to have. Better oatmeal than starvation.

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    +1,000,000

It's time for people to realize that religion is not functional, nor are its teachings true. It's time to evolve past that point.
    You find this same thought in odd places.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng99hnxQmoI
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay Exeye View Post
    while this may be true for your world view not everyone shares that view.
    It's political nature might be up for debate, but the Bible is a dated document. That can be proven and is relevant to its dietary recommendations.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay Exeye View Post
    while this may be true for your world view not everyone shares that view.
    It's a fact, not a view. You choose to believe in something that's dated and no longer relevant, be my guest - but don't expect me to take any of it seriously.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Kay Exeye is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    It's a fact, not a view. You choose to believe in something that's dated and no longer relevant, be my guest - but don't expect me to take any of it seriously.
    not everybody would consider the bible dated, many people still find it very relevant today.
    no one is asking you to take it seriously, all i am saying is that not everyone shares those views. it is a view since you simply cannot just say the bible is dated and have the be the ultimate truth. it is very much a view.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast