Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In an effort to save money... page

OG Bobby Johnson is offline Junior Member

In an effort to save money...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm considering switching from grass fed beef to conventional. I get my meat from Whole Foods. WF's conventional meat is 2/3 pasture raised. My question is, compared to "normal", grain-fed beef you'd find in traditional grocery stores, is the omega ratio of WF's conventional beef better than that of the traditional stores beef? Does that 1/3 of grain feeding make a huge difference? Thanks.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Of course I'm not answering your question....but why don't you start getting your meat from your farmers' market or a local family-run farm or get in on a cowpool/pigpool? It's much cheaper than Whole Paycheck, higher quality, and you are helping your neighbors.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

gordo is offline Senior Member
    What exactly is "two thirds pasture raised"? If they are butchering an 18-month old steer that's been in a feedlot for six months, it is meaningless. In that case, you might as well drive right past Whole Paycheck and go to your local carniceria.

Gordo

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Beef contains so little polyunsaturates that it doesn't matter that the ratio of conventionally raised is worse than grass-fed. Saturated fat content, micronutrient content and hormone/antibiotic residue in the meat are the biggest differences.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    Saturated fat content, micronutrient content and hormone/antibiotic residue in the meat are the biggest differences.
    Don't forget flavor. Grass-finished rocks. But if I was on a budget, I'd just go for antibiotic-free. There's a limit to how much they can abuse those steers without antibiotics to keep them alive.

Gordo

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Don't forget flavor. Grass-finished rocks. But if I was on a budget, I'd just go for antibiotic-free. There's a limit to how much they can abuse those steers without antibiotics to keep them alive.

Gordo
    This is true. If you have beef that is antibiotic free, they can only "grain finish" which means typically less than 6 weeks of being grain fed.

I grew up in beef country in Alberta Canada. I have to say, even conventional Alberta beef kicks the crap out of other conventional beef. Maybe because they are mostly range fed?

urbansix is offline Member
    We were able to buy a grass fed steer from a local farmer and it came to $4.10/lb after al was said/done. We can barely buy grocery store feedlot ground chuck for that, around here, and the farm raised includes, steaks, ribs, marrow bones and all kinds of nicer cuts. All for a quarter more per pound than the cheapest grocery store meats. So I feel like we are saving $$ in addition to eating better. I recommend it if you can find one.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I will definitely have to try to find another source for grass fed beef in my small area. I want the benefits, but, good god, the taste was awful. I enjoy deer/venison, but the beef I had was almost unbearable. I probably gave away 10 to 15 lbs. of the 60 I had originally bought.

puddlefoot is offline Junior Member
    I don't think that there's a big difference between 2/3 pasture raised and entirely grain fed if you're looking at omega ratios. I'm assuming that 2/3 pasture raised means that the cows are finished on grain? From what I understand the omega 3/omega 6 ratio changes very quickly when they are fed grains.

http://www.grass-fed-beef-101.com/de..._fed_beef.html

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Cattle are often pasture raised and hay fed while on pasture for the bulk of their life, then brought in to the barn to "finish". Finishing usually consists of being fed hay, still out on grass, but in addition they are fed corn silage, barley etc. Alberta beef is generally barley finished, which gives it that amazingly rich, white marbling its famous for. Finishing beef on corn gives the meat a deeper, sweeter flavour. My personal favorite is corn finished beef, especially if its been raised "happy". Grain finishing is what puts that extra fat marbling in the meat, which is what improves flavour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast