Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice discussion of paieo/primal/traditional diets on perfecthealthdiet page

gordo is offline Senior Member

Nice discussion of paieo/primal/traditional diets on perfecthealthdiet

Primal Fuel
    http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

I'm biased. I lean toward their approach, basically primal with a moderate number of safe starches. But then, I'm really active, so I fall under Mark's exemption for folks like me. Too funny.

Gordo

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Thought provoking, non-inflammatory website (at first glance). "They are really hybrid diets pairing the animal foods of a savannah hunter with the plant foods of chimpanzees and mountain gorillas." Did Grok really eat the equivalent of big assed salads? I don't think it matters for our practice. IMHO they are very healthy and delicious.

"The available plant foods were mainly the pith and underground storage organs of starch-containing plants." I eat potatoes several times a week. They don't seem to raise my blood sugar much. Of course, I pile on the butter. But I can't buy calling potatoes one of the healthiest carb sources. Compared to yams, etc., I just don't see any evidence of that.

"These Diets [paleo] Aren’t Tasty" - The menus he slams (from Robb Wolf) sound very tasty to me, although I like the heartier ones with more fat from Primal much better, especially in cold weather. Kind of a matter of taste.

The suggestion that paleo diets are too high in protein isn't really true of primal as defined by Mark, although many Groks do eat a high amount of it. I have not read Perfect Diet. Would be interested in learning more about the rationale for keeping protein consumption low.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    That was really interesting. I'd love to read more about this. I, too, have been finding that I feel better with more carbs lately.

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    I was way too low on energy with no starchy carbs, really noticed it the first time I tried a little jog, so added potatoes and rice back in to my diet. I thought I'd ordered Jaminet's book, but apparently forgot it. OTOH, while I believe the "primal" people are on the right track and I generally like where we're going with them, I'm not sure they've got it nailed down yet.

ewrutledge is offline Junior Member
    I have a feeling the reluctance to accept starches is because so many paleo "brands" have been built on amazing weight loss results. It's easier to lose weight if you skip the potatoes, so it's tough for guys like Mark to make a blanket recommendation when his livelihood hinges on weight loss. I eat starches several times a week, but I'm a big guy, extremely active, not trying to lose weight, and a little on the poor side. Plus I just feel better at a higher carb level. I can slip into keto after just a day of VLC but I never go out of my way to do it because I just don't feel as vital.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link, was a good read. They make some interesting points about good carbs, toxic grains, etc.

Their plan is much much better than the SAD and very similar to the primal lifestyle for active people as Gordo pointed out. Seems closer to PB than they admit, IMHO. Seems like PB is flexible enough to encompass many levels of carb needs. (but then I'm new here, I could be wrong)

Yeah, there's a huge overlap with primal, IMO. Before I went primal, I was following Michael Pollan's "Eat real food" mantra. I was losing weight, even eating soaked grains, potatoes, etc. I think Mark is smart to steer people toward the lower carb end of things because so many people have trouble with them. Just blanket saying that you've got to find your own optimal carb level will give some folks wiggle room that they shouldn't have at first. Going primal, losing your weight, getting healthy, and then seeing what happens when you add a few carbs back in makes way more sense to me.

Gordo

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I do like the idea of more starches and adding back rice but could be dangerous for me as not at goal weight. I'm sure I could still lose weight including starches but admit controlling myself is harder - always want to eat more.

In a comment they re ommend for weight loss:
    Women 1500 cals - 200 cals carbs, 400 cals protein and rest fats.
    (as an example).

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I'm sure I could still lose weight including starches but admit controlling myself is harder - always want to eat more.
    Exactly my point. Much safer to get past all carb cravings before potentially playing with fire.

Thanks, Gordo

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ct-Health-Diet

Another thread on this topic, may be of interest.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast