Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark Chocolate: how much is too much? page

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member

Dark Chocolate: how much is too much?

I consider myself hardcore and with a strong willpower. All the whey protein I take is bulk and has a neutral taste. When I used to take creatine, I'd take it bulk as well... not many people could take it like I did. My sister's girlfriend almost threw up when she had a bit of it.

And yet, here I am, a little pussy when it comes to dark chocolate. I eat half a tablet on Saturday and at least half a tablet on Sunday, for a total of 1 and a half tablet a week (possibly 2 tablets at most), all in 2 days, Saturday and Sunday. So, around 150 grams of dark chocolate.

I just had 65 grams of dark chocolate (bit over half of a regular 100 g tablet), and here I am contemplating not eating any dark chocolate tomorrow, knowing I'll probably can't make it and fall to temptation.

Maybe I'm feeling a bit guilty since I've read people here saying they only eat a piece of chocolate a day, or on occasion... wow... I feel like a cheater. I just can't "just" eat a piece or two, that's why I save it for the weekend to eat it all.

I notice my girlfriend can't stomach some of the dark chocolate brands too well, at least Lindt, maybe because it has soy lecithin... I don't have a problem with it and I digest it pretty well, I think I was born to eat chocolate. On top of this, I also eat my occasional fruit...

By the way I also have some good old Porto (wine) with it. Porto rules, and it's not because I'm from Portugal.

But anyway...how much is too much?
    Last edited by JPA; 01-01-2011 at 08:00 AM.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I don't think you'll get one answer. Chocolate is full of beneficial compounds. It also contains compounds not so beneficial, like oxalate. Because of all the compounds in it, it's know to be one of the most allergenic foods around. YMMV is an understatement.

I eat about a kilo a month and feel fine ...

Gordo

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    If you feel fine and are meeting your health, fitness and/or look-good-naked goals, then I'd say whatever you're doing is fine. I keep a couple different bars in the fridge and every couple days break off a few squares to have with a cup of green tea. The darker the chocolate, the less inclined I am to eat more than just a few squares of it.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I drink the occasional beer and don't give it second thought. I feel like I do so much right, I'm not going to sweat the occasional indulgence. BTW, I hate the word cheat. Sounds to much like infidelity against a spouse.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Chocolate is the hardest thing for me to restrict. My goal is to have one square of ultra dark per day. Usually I can do that. But sometimes I wolf down a half or even whole package (what you are calling a tablet I think.)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I have 1/4 of a bar a couple times a week. That seems to be enough for me. Mark did a daily apple on it earlier this year. Take a look at it again, he even rates his top chocolate brands.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I like to buy Scharffen Berger 99%. With that I'd have to be binging to eat more than one square. It's incredibly strong, but delicious.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    I'd say see how you feel. If I eat too much 90% I feel off and it affects my sleep.

spughy is offline Senior Member
    I don't get the chocolate love - I could probably go for the rest of my life without chocolate and not feel especially deprived - but it'd probably be worth it to cut it out altogether for a month of so and see how that makes you feel, then add it back in at the level you're eating it now. If you don't notice any difference, then you're probably good with that amount.

BTW Port has a TON of sugar in it. Sure, it's naturally occurring, but it's like all the downsides of straight grape juice (hello, fructose!) and alcohol combined. Not saying don't drink it - Port sure is delicious! - but maybe not as a regular indulgence? A dry sherry might be a better choice for a regular indulgence, and it goes equally well with chocolate.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Port might have a lot of sugar but you're not drinking much, or at least I don't. A little goes a long way. I might drink four onces.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast