Page 868 of 1086 FirstFirst ... 368768818858866867868869870878918968 ... LastLast
Results 8,671 to 8,680 of 10857

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 868

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Long ago, when I first started, all I had read was a few basics. Then I started reading.... What's funny is that I was doing well, dropping weight, and then I started tweaking based on my reading. Guess what? Most everytime I've tried to read and "improve", it's just led me further down the path. For me (and I know this doesn't apply to everyone) I do best to keep my calories in line (I know, I know) and eat mostly whole foods.

Hope you have a GREAT day.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Yes, I think we all tried that LC approach with very little success, cravings/binges get cha. Gotta do what works in the long run. For me I seem to do well when I cycle the carbs, but less planned and more situational. And yes, however I can manage to keep my calories in line over the course of the week, eating mostly whole foods, is the way that feels best and has the best results.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    I'm finding my best number for carbs hovers around 30% of my total calories - that's translates to the 80-110 range. I'm becoming more convinced that women just need a higher carb count than men. Must be a hormone thing??? I see so many men on this forum giving weight loss advice to women and it drives me nuts! Our bodies and our needs are different. We need different foods and we need different workout styles. I no longer read or listen to advice given by men to women. With the exception of Mark - and even then, I don't think he's really dialed in on the fact that its not a "one size fits all" program. His best advice is to tweak things until you find your sweet spot.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Wind chill only -10 today so no 2 hr delay. First full day of school since Dec 20th. What shall I do with all of this class time?

I am feeling mentally better. I slept well last night. Ate a good breakfast and am ready for the day. My husband and I are getting along.
    Billy and I finished the set up for his second semester. We rented all of his books off amazon for just over $100. The ball is now in his court. His father says we will only pay for 3rd semester if he gets B+ in all of his classes. I really didn't want him to accrue debt so soon, but maybe paying himself will make the difference.

Low carb Paleo - As you know, I have decided to eat strict Paleo from now on. (when not bingeing) I have been listening to Robb Wolf's podcasts. I am shocked to find out that he advocates low carb Paleo for weight loss. The first 5 days that I ate clean, I cut my fruit down to 1/day and cut out my daily 1/2 sweet potato. This may have contributed to my binge on day 6. It is possibly true that I could lose weight faster on LC Paleo, but what good will it do me if I continue to binge. Better to binge less and lose weight slower. I am going to have a whole potato every day plus two fruits. That with vegetable intake should put me at the 100 carb min I need for sanity. I am also interested in the science behind resistant starch.
    Everyone has a sweet spot and thats what you need to find for your carbs. I know yesterday I did not have enough and I went "looking" last night for more what? Carbs. So, today I planned better. I think LC is great in theory but we all have different needs. I totally hear where you are coming from in not getting enough nutrition and ending up on a binge. I am not all that confident you will lose weight much faster with LC as to just paleo personally.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    My experience with LC and moderate carb weightloss has been similar, so I agree with you.

The difference for me is all about mood. Yesterday and today I had between 100 and 150g carbs. I was happy and energetic. On Monday (before the binge), after 5.5 days of LC, I was really down. Add hormones, lack of sleep and stress and you have my personal recipe for disaster.

This morning, I ate a whole potato with my breakfast. It was awesome. I have plowed through a ton of work at school.

As far as looking for carbs at night, my best defense has been the 40-50 gram of protein breakfast. I have no idea why it works, but it does for all but my worst days.

I'm finding burger patty for breakfast is a great way to start the day. It gives me a big boost of protein and then I'm not hungry again until dinner. I've settled into a pattern of protein in the morning - and protein with carbs for dinner. It seems to be working well. I'm not craving sugar, I'm not scavenging for food when I get home from work, and I'm sleeping well. Plus, my weight is finally dropping again. Its all good.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I really feel for ya with your son's schooling. FWIW, I know many people who screwed around when parents footed the bill, but got serious when it was their bill to pay. Do you think he messed around and failed or was he caught by a new level of life that was tougher than expected? You are a teacher and his parent, so I feel you will know what is best. Also, you can always take care of or help with school loans when he completes his schooling. This way he thinks it is all his and has a grad gift at the end.
    Either way, I bet he has learned much through this experience. There is always some failure on your way to success!

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    I really feel for ya with your son's schooling. FWIW, I know many people who screwed around when parents footed the bill, but got serious when it was their bill to pay. Do you think he messed around and failed or was he caught by a new level of life that was tougher than expected? You are a teacher and his parent, so I feel you will know what is best. Also, you can always take care of or help with school loans when he completes his schooling. This way he thinks it is all his and has a grad gift at the end.
    Either way, I bet he has learned much through this experience. There is always some failure on your way to success!
    well said. My son finally stepped up when it was on his dime. Yes, he is still paying off the school loans.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    My son Billy has ADD and tends toward depression. He has a hard time with organization and following through. He just let things get too far behind.

He takes a low dose of ritalin. It helps a little. I have recommended certain supplements and that he eat more along the lines of Paleo, but it is hard for him to change. He is very skinny and has trouble eating enough.

With all of that, I'm not sure paying for it himself will help.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    The school that my kids go to has sessions to help students with organization and staying on top of things as well as tutoring them through the more difficult subjects, it is a very common problem with freshmen. I wonder if they have something at his school. I actually think that they are more likely to have that kind of help than at a bigger school.