Page 86 of 1088 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788961361865861086 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 86

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Well, American Tribal dance is a mix of movements from Middle Eastern Belly Dance, Indian Dance, African Dance and Flamenco.

In class we start with stretching. The toughest part is the foot stretch. We raise one foot and do ankle circles then we stretch our toes. It definitely hurts when we place the top of the foot against the floor. It would probably be better if I did the stretches every day. The rest of the warmup is flowing movement. The music is hypnotic, mostly percussion and wind instruments. After warm up, we work on basic moves - hip accents , circles and undulations, arm movements. I am always surprised at how specific the movements are. At the end of class we put the moves into a sequence and dance together. I think the power of Tribal Dance is that it is all about women; their beauty, power and sensuality; and the celebration of sisterhood. The teacher often talks about how different and special we women are. Very Cool!
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 01-06-2012 at 06:28 AM.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    even more jealous now.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Yep. I was thinking the same thing. Jealous. How cool

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    WOW!! Sounds fun! So glad you are enjoying the class and get to perform!! Exciting!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

bigchick is offline Junior Member
    Sounds just brilliant and fun too!!!!!

I had my first bootcamp class last night. It is basically a series of cardio moves that incorporate specific muscle use. Ist sequence - 30sec Jumping Jacks, 30 sec jogging, 30 sec high knee running, 30 sec butt kicks, 30 sec mummys. You do it 3 times and try to go faster with each set.

I went in mentally shot. I had gotten some bad news about my sons' school progress, had a tiff with my husband and was dog tired from the day. I found that I could not do any of the moves properly, at the speed expected etc. The teacher gave modifications for each move. Well, I had to do them modified at half pace. It was a real blow to my ego and I was near tears the whole time. I hated looking like the weak decrepit one. By the end, I was getting the hang of it and My GoWearFit armband says I got 12 min of vigorous activity, a personal best.

I don't know what I was expecting. I know that I will get better at the moves and stronger as the camp goes on. The teacher kept telling us to modify and that form is more important than speed. My feelings certainly weren't her fault, but oh how my pride was bruised. Honestly, I almost walked out after the first set. Sometimes I can be such a baby, but I didn't want to burst into tears in front of everyone.

The good news is that my out of whack emotions tell me that my body has cleared all the sugar from my holiday of sin. I will soon be burning only fat!!! I have to realize that feelings are just feelings. They can't control my actions unless I let them.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Give yourself credit for attending the class. Sometimes, I won't even take that step because I don't want to be the "worst" (my own perception) one. And, I'm sure you already know, being mentally exhausted can totally impact a workout. You are going to get better as the camp goes on - hang in there!

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Huge props for attending. I would never consider a class called "boot camp". The fact that you went, hung in there, and were able to walk out is amazing!

Years ago, when I was living at the beach my sis and I decided to take an aerobics class together. We were in our mid 20's, walked and biked a lot, and thought we were in pretty good shape, both of us were basically at our 'healthy'' weights. So we find a nice, cheap class that meets 3x's a week. Go to the first one....now she and I are a tad competitive, so when we would start to tired we would look at the other and see they were keeping up so would push to keep going. The instructor stopped us about 25 minutes in, our faces were purple, and made us take a pulse, they were SO high, so we had to stop and walk around the room to get them to lower. After class one of the other ladies came up and said "oh, don't worry, we all had to build up our endurance for this class". But here is the kicker the class was a class for seniors, the youngest one in there besides us and the instructor was 72! Talk about blow to the ego. But we kept going and the old lady was right, pretty soon we could keep up with the instructor!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Thanks for the support. Now here's the positive. I went to my regular cardio kick class with the same instructor this morning and I kicked butt. She even came over and commented on how strong I looked. I fessed up about my mental state yesterday. She explained a little more about the boot camp and assured me that next week I would feel better because we are going to do lift stations. Yeah Baby, I can lift!

I have to say, I love this instructor. She is my friend/trainer Joe's sister. I chose to do the boot camp to support her because this is her first time doing it. I think it will help me make big changes this winter.

Product endorsement alert: The exercise room at my gym has carpet. Stupid right? It makes rapid movement difficult. That was part of my problem last night. My legs felt like lead. Well, today I wore my new "New Balance Minimus shoes" and what a difference. They have a thinner sole and very little tred. I chose these over vibrams because my toes are funny. I love, love, love these shoes.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    WHOOP! For the boot camp class- they scare me!!

YEAH for the minimus runners!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE mine! What color are yours?? Mine are orange GO BRONCOS!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.