Page 74 of 1091 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576841241745741074 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 74

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    my dh is totally non-combative, it would not occur to him to be upset at the guy. To be fair, I can have an explosive personality and dh figures I do a great job of handling things like that, and often sends me in to argue situations because he knows I won't hit or get hit and I can be a bulldog, I don't let go till I get what I want. I would have eventually shot back at the guy like you did, but doubt I would have gone back to finish my workout. Cudos to ya for going to class afterward.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I am so proud of myself. We had a holiday party after our cardio kick class. The teacher worked us over good for an hour and then we ate. I took a small plate and ate 2 deviled eggs, 2oz of cheese, 1oz of nuts, 1 clementine and 4 oz of champagne. It was just enough and I don't feel deprived. I probably burned the calories I ate during class.

Petey came through his surgery well, but he stayed overnight at the vet.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 12-12-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Petey update

yeah Paula! and yeah Petey too.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    nice job Paula!!! See you can celebrate, stay primal AND hit your number targets!! WHOOP!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Wt. 217 My scale is being bitchy, but I don't care. I know that I am eating right.

I saw my chiropractor yesterday. He is the one who started me on this journey so I take his advice very seriously. He had asked me to write out a week of food logs so he could see what I am eating. I didn't do it for several reasons. Mostly, because my handwriting is terrible. I will run off a week of fitday logs for him soon.

Anyway I was telling him about how I have calculated how much protein my body needs and am making sure I get that in every day (150 grams). He said that is good, but too much protein without other things can cause inflammation. He feels that the vegetables are extremely important, and that people never eat enough in a great enough variety. In truth, the other reason I did not want to show him my logs is that I only get in about 1.5 to 2 cups of veg a day and the same ones (1/4 c of peppers and onions, 1/2 cucumber and 1/2 sweet pepper, 1-2 cups mixed greens...BORING) . Thirdly, he is not a big fan of avoiding root veg and fruit to lower carb counts. AND shudder he would prefer I not track my food so closely because it perpetuates the diet mentality. I know that this is good advice, especially for when I am maintaining. He comes from the standpoint of eating Paleo to avoid disease. I would really like to get into this mindset too, because after all I'm in this to avoid PEs, diabetes, heart disease and cancer all of which are almost a sure thing for me if I ever go back to the SAD.

So, I need more veggies in my life. I only get about 35 carbs a day so I can afford more, but I am honestly afraid of starting to gain weight. Maybe I could add 1 cup of a different vegetable each evening with my salad doing a root veg 2x week.

Any Suggestions? Thoughts? Encouragement?
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

spag. squash is a nice change of pace. In fact, I have been experimenting with all the more exotic squashes out there right now (turban, fancy etc.) If you are only getting 35g carbs from veggies there is room for more. Raw is usually lower carb than cooked so you can really bone up on that as well. What about a veggie soup?
    Karin

I will go through each point...

-regarding the protein, pretty sure that the SPEED book has a research article that addresses that issue, ie. you are not getting too much.
    -veggies, VERY important. One of the things I do is to do NET CARBS. This is my total carbs minus fiber. Since I don't eat grains the fiber basically comes from veggies. If I am doing 30 to 50 net carbs, I am probably doing 50 to 70 total carbs and 20 to 30 grams of fiber. Basically I use it as a reminder to eat more veggies!
    -regarding tracking...I just don't see how you can use information you don't have. If you start a consistent upward scale movement you can go back to your food diary and say "well, no, I am doing well so this is just water" or "well, yes look here I have been getting way too many carbs for the past week". also, if you start having some strange reaction to something, you can use the tracker to eliminate or pinpoint possibilities. NO diary NO info. I agree that it does sort of perpetuate the diet mentality, but lets be serious about this, basically right now, you are using food choices to lose weight and that is a diet. Once in maintenance, if you are comfortable doing it, you can stop tracking then. Most importantly, you have to do what you feel comfortable with.
    -right now, veggies soups are great! I make one with a ton of different veggies in it. and while I do eat it for days on end, there are a variety in it. also, shredded cabbage (pre-packaged for coleslaw) can be tossed on salads or mixed in with canned tuna or salmon. keep frozen veggies as you can throw these on a cookie sheet and roast for 10 to 20 minutes in a 45o degree oven and they are yummy this way. broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, all very good this way.
    -I strive for at lest 3 veggies at each lunch and dinner, I try to minimize carbs at breakfast, plus I do a mocha smoothie still, veggies are just not great in that.
    Chris
    Unknown

tinawalker is offline Junior Member
    Hey Pebbles!

We are very similar in some ways.
    I am 45 years old, and work in Crisis Communications.
    I have been married for 25 years and have two adult children.
    AND I am a twin.
    I have always...always...be carb intolerant. So - I was always what they called "husky" as a child. (I hated that term...my mom was a seamstress...and even at the young age of 7-8...I knew that "husky" was no compliment).

The challenge for me growing up was that my folks grew up poor...and while we were always on a limited income...my parents invested their money in cigarrettes and alchohol...and every meal (I am not exaggerating) was legumes, fried potatoes, or some version of fried carbs. I can't recall ever eating "clean" whole foods.

When I was a freshman in HS, I took control of my diet and began eating high protien, veggies and fruits. By the end of summer, I was fit...a complete transformation.

Well, I have played with veganism, vegetarianism, etc....everything you can imagine...as an adult to drop my baby weight (yea..baby weight...my baby is 19 years old...lol) nothing worked. I knew in my heart what I had to do...what worked for ME...and that was the whole clean foods approach (which surprisingly is Primal)

So a week or so ago, I was surfing the net...and somehow came across MDA.
    The support...information...everything in one spot...I had found my affirmation that what I had done as a teenager was what WORKED.
    Of course, NOW, I am better informed

So over the past week, I have cut out the chronic cardio, made the necessary adjustments to my diet...and am on the path to great health and fitness.

Thank you for posting.
    And, my fondest memories of school were my Language Teachers....conjugations and all

Keep in touch...keep us posted...and good luck!

Start Date/Weight: December 6, 2011 - 203 lbs

I agree no diary no info. I have been bad about mine lately, mostly because of IFing.

Chris- you are the veggie queen.. I am trying to follow your example
    Karin

For me it just came about because I cook one meal and 4 people usually want different stuff. So I tried to make sure there was always at least one thing for each person. Thus meals are generally, protein, salad, veggie, veggie (and in the old days a grain would have been included-I just dropped it and no one really said anything). There are also things like taco salads where you can add whatever you want, tomatoes, onions, avocado, shredded cabbage, shredded lettuce, olives, etc. I do the same with pasta, make it a pasta bar, so buttered pasta (for those who eat it) and various roasted veggies then the sauce, usually white, at the end of the line.
    Chris
    Unknown