Page 684 of 1129 FirstFirst ... 184584634674682683684685686694734784 ... LastLast
Results 6,831 to 6,840 of 11286

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 684

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have to be careful cause I tend to lose one as I add one.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Yep. I start adding too much and miss the forest for all my trees
    -- Ruth

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Heehee. I'm still back at rumble strips! I love hearing your thought process on all this so much, though. Sounds like this course is really expanding your thinking.

My incoming mail rumble strip seems to be working. The stack is managable, looks presentable on the book drop, and I've maintained it several times without thinking it was an ordeal. Next, I'm going to try and come up with one for the kitchen counter.
    Last edited by Sabine; 07-25-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: added the rest of a word

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I think that the idea of this course is not to (necessarily) do all of the recommended ideas together, but to try each system and see what works best for you for different issues. Some lessons seem to be an expansion of a previous thought.

So far the action recommendations have been. Create a Manifesto (Have a powerful Why?). Have Rumble Strips (Stack List). The recommended SMaC plan is a lot like the Flylady's Daily Routines.

Other recurring ideas are, will power can be learned, small changes make big results, experiment to see what works for you, create awareness of things you do subconciously.

I don't know if Dean is doing this cycling back through ideas on purpose, It is driving my prescriptive mind crazy, but I am learning some interesting things.

Oh I was referring to the stack list. It is a lot like what PN did with Ruth right? Where they say to start a habit with the smallest change that you can maintain for 3 weeks then add to it. I invariably lost the original habit.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Yes, I think that is what the stack is about. I was actually responding to Sabine's rumble strips comment and setting down some of my general thoughts on the course. I could be seeing it all wrong, but my mind wants to take what I am learning, make sense of it and make a plan. When the course is over I will go through the materials again.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Good Thoughts Everyone!

BIW mod 5 lesson 2. Manage Chaos

-Avoid extreme solutions. They are usually meant for hard core people, but deceptively marketed to beginners. ie. Extreme exercise/weightloss programs

-extreme programs are usually prescriptive in nature and don't help you formulate a personal plan

-extreme programs are mentally and sometimes physically taxing. Eventually you resistance to doing the program will build up and you will give up.
    This sounds like whole30 in a sense. You're supposed to be extreme and then slowly add things back in to find your personal plan, but most can't make it through the extreme unless they're very focused on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Practice - "Stacking". Choose the 3 most important minimal behaviors that will result in the changes that you are looking for and do those consistently.

Eat Primal Foods
    Weigh and Measure weekly
    Exercise 30 min 5x a week
    I also end up losing one when I add a new item... Stacking has never really worked for me - consciously - without a major volume of focus.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I sort of feel like it is the opposite of the Whole30, in the sense that he is saying (or it seems to me he is saying) create a system, and once you do it will work for every aspect of your life. That it isn't about the specific food plan as much as it is about the system you created to follow the plan you decide on.

I wasn't going to mention this, but in yesterday's lesson, Dean used p90x, the biggest loser and Whole 30 as examples of extreme programs. I called him out on it in a private email because he intimated that they used success stories to convince people to buy their product. I made it clear that the w30 program is and always has been free on the site. There is no mandatory purchase. I wrote a lot more in their defense. Heck, I have never finished a w30, but I have seen benefits even after one week.
    He responded that he did not like their 30 day format, but that my defense was sound. He will remove them from future versions of the BIW.

I have been feeling sick the past few days. Throat trouble with fluid build up in my ears. The cool Indian Doc I saw today said gargle with salt water and do nose breathing exercises. How very Zen of him. Sadly, I just wanted antibiotics. He thinks it is viral so drugs won't help.

I have decided to start cleaning up the food issues on Sunday. I have a summer party to attend tomorrow and have already blown today. That will give me one month to at least get back down to my low before going back to school.
    Am I hopeful? Eh.

I have been thinking about my Why? for eating healthily. I have two.
    1) I don't want to become ill with or die of a preventable disease. ( I already have some pretty scary illnesses.)
    2) My kids will need me for a long time to come.

These are not new Whys?, they just need to become more powerful than what I am getting out of eating badly.