Page 660 of 1134 FirstFirst ... 160560610650658659660661662670710760 ... LastLast
Results 6,591 to 6,600 of 11332

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 660

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It is ridiculous how much people have given to our kids for high school graduation. I got about $600 which I used to buy an old used red Fiat Spyder convertible. I didn't get any money upon college graduation, although my aunt gave me a beautiful leather portfolio for my design drawings. Most people now have given the kids between $25 and $50, but it was a lot of people.

We gave each of our kids their choice of computer to take off to college. DD chose a Mac 15" top of whatever they had at the time. DS has chosen an HP Envy 17.3 top of whatever he could get on it.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    My parents were divorced and remarried so I had two graduation parties. I was gifted $1000 between the two parties. I blew half of it on drugs that following summer ans the other half on college textbooks...

Paula, sending my love and hugs regarding the sitch with Bill. I hope you guys are able to find a way to get along whether you change your behavior or whether Bill changes his. Good luck, hun!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    My parents were divorced and remarried so I had two graduation parties. I was gifted $1000 between the two parties. I blew half of it on drugs that following summer ans the other half on college textbooks...
    I think I got $50 and a case of ramen noodles. I'm feeling a might bit cheated.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I got nothing for high school graduation. I was the first, in a very large extended family, to graduate from college, paying for all of it myself, and had to pay rent when I came home for the summer.

I received a set of Fingerhut luggage for college graduation. A few months later my parents gave the luggage to my sister.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Billy is excited about the party. He has no expectations for the money he will receive. He is excited to intro his girlfriend to his family. Next week he will, register for college classes, get his permit and start learning to drive my car. Lots of good stuff coming.

how exciting! My DS will be spending the summer practicing his driving so he can get his license right before school starts. He needs the ID, plus he needs to be able to drive in case of emergency, but he has to pay for his own insurance and it goes down by 75% when he goes away to school.

There is a free driving school called "Driver's Edge". They bring in cars the kids particularly like (BMW's), slick up a huge parking lot and then teach them to get out of a spin. Tape the whole thing. They also did a display that showed the consequences of not wearing a seat belt, and had beer glasses so they could see how little it takes to effect their driving. Home | Driver's Edge I highly recommend it! You sign up and they send you an email to let you know when it will be in your area and when the registration opens. You need to register the minute (literally!) the minute the registration opens. Probably more important in an area where you guys get icy roads. It is not a big scare thing, the kids learn a lot and enjoy the experience.

PrimalLaurie is offline Member
    Wow! I'm glad I'm learning so much from those of you with older boys. The thought of mine driving makes me want to stick my head in the sand! or hide.

I got lots of $$ for high school graduation, but it caused massive problems within the family. I was the first of all my cousins to graduate and my grandmother wrote me a sizable check to go towards my books and living expenses at college - I was on scholarship for tuition. She then proceeded to write checks in varying but smaller amounts to my siblings and cousins as they graduated. And by varying I mean less than 1/2 of what I got. My sister still says that is when she realized how much my grandmother played favorites (my sister is right it is terribly obvious). Needless to say it resulted in some very hurt feelings especially since it dragged up history among the aunts and uncles of how my grandmother also played favorites when they were kids. Not a fun situation, but very eye opening.

Paula, I'm so sorry things are so bad at home. Have you considered going to counseling even if it is alone? Having someone in your corner who is trained to deal with situations like these can only be a good thing.

Hope the festivities go well!
    Laurie

GAPS/Primal - Working on Getting Healthy!

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread88988.html

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Thank You all for your advice and support.

The thing is, you guys don't know me. I am part of this equation and not innocent of bad behavior by any means. I think our personality traits do not gel well. What that means to our future? I don't know.
    I agree, you are part of the equation-- the only part you can change. So, my suggestion stands. Change what you are doing, how you react. He will either change accordingly, you will decide you deserve better, or you will shut up and put up. All are choices we all are free to make.

As a side note, I read somewhere, in my search to save my marriage, that we tend to pick partners that can help us(both) heal our childhood wounds. However, it takes both people to acknowledge the wounds and the need to do differently to be successfully.

It takes two to make a marriage work. But one unaware/unwilling/selfish/self-centered person can destroy it because they do not see it as a team.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Last night Bill's brother arrived with his family, my in laws and another niece. We had a bbq, bonfire and camp out. I slept in my own bed. Lol

Today will be super busy, then fun after 1 pm.

Congrats to your graduate! Have fun.