Page 529 of 1090 FirstFirst ... 294294795195275285295305315395796291029 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,290 of 10895

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 529

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    NW, I think Paula is reaching for the 50 range for cancer prevention as per Dr. Seyfried in Dr. Ede's blog, but FBS would normally be considered good if it is below 100.

Paula, my kids sleep past noon on weekends so we have no worries there! And anytime they are both out of town (which is easier now that one is away at college) that works well. It will be interesting to see what happens when my youngest goes off to college and we are empty nesters.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Nameless Wonder,

ssn679doc has it right. Anything under 100 is considered a healthy FBS.

Like demuralist said, I was trying for a lower than normal FBS, between 55-65 for cancer fighting benefits based on Dr Seyfried's research. Anything under 70 is considered hypoglycemic and generally not desirable.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-08-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Dr. Cate Shanahan says that 100 might actually be a bit high, and sets the bar at less than 90. FWIW.

Hey James!

Yeah prefer mine to be below 90. They have been all this week.

Ok, some thoughts on protein.

I have done 9 days at the 65 gram level and have seen no marked change in my FBS. I think in order to reach Dr. Seyfreid's ideal FBS level, the second part of the formula has to be low calories. Dr. Ede got to the ideal FBS and the 4.0mmol ketone level (and was miserable) eating around 1000 cals and 50-60g protein. I do not see that as smart or necessary for me at this time.

**Dr, Ede has not yet posted this week's update...wonder why.

This week I gained 1.5% body fat, but still lost weight. My fluid intake was steady. This tells me I lost lean body mass, not fat. (Ddraig Goch, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.)

It is my plan to drop dairy this week. Unfortunately, dairy is a big fat contributor in my diet. I am going to allow my protein to go up to 20% and fat to go back down to 75%. Carbs will stay at 5%. I still plan to eat to my BMR (1746) as a minimum calorie level.

Here is a link to the protein levels recommended by several NK gurus. Unfortunately, they do not agree.
    Daily Protein Requirement
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-08-2013 at 09:53 AM.

For me to get below 60g of protein is actually hard work, and generally does not leave much room for a reasonable amount of protein at dinner. I think that the levels Dr. Seyfreid suggests are something I will definitely do should I be diagnosed with cancer. In the mean time, with cancer prevention in mind, I plan to keep my net carbs below 15 (as this allows me to eat the veggies that I love) and my protein in the 15% to 18% range, filling the rest with fat.

Currently my dairy consists of HWC and kerrygold butter daily, and maybe some gouda once a week. I refuse to believe it is a problem for me. I may get there if after very careful monitoring in the next few months I still don't lose weight. But I don't wanna.

p.s. I would think you are being very successful right now, no binging and losing weight, why are you going to the "no dairy" route? (I understand the increase in protein route though)
    Last edited by demuralist; 03-08-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add ps

This week, I was thinking of just cutting cheese intake. I am eating about 3 oz/day, plus butter and HWC.

However, you may be right. For the sake of being scientific, I should up the protein to the 20% level first for a week and then drop the dairy for the third week in March.

Dairy can sometimes keep you from getting into deeper ketosis. However, since I don't have a monitor. How would I know?

PS, I don't feel especially successful this week. Not sure why. I think the gain in body fat is pissing me off.

I get that, but you lost, and overall you have a good fat loss to LBM loss right? I saw someone who is taking note of these sorts of things on EMF say something about a ratio of body fat to LBM you can expect. was it Ddraing Goch?

And yes, only change one thing at a time, or you will never know what made a difference. So up the protein, then if that isn't enough drop the cheese. I don't think I could be happy if I thought I could never eat cheese. I could cut way back and be ok though. I actually think I am ok with an ounce or 2 of gouda, but cream cheese seems to be an issue-more of a trigger than stall though.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    you are successful.. you are learning so much from your body and that is success. I have wondered if the dairy is keeping me out of ketosis.. I am still not there.. I am like Chris though, I don;t wanna!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Hi Pebbles,

I would drop the artificial sweeteners before dropping the dairy. Having stopped taking sugar I originally looked for an alternative to make the odd non-grain dessert but all I could find were negative comments – even for stevia. Chemicals are far more likely to have am impact than real food like dairy even if you are slightly intolerant to it. It would be interesting to see what effect dropping AS would have on your binge switch.

Re the loss of LBM, If your LBM loss is >25% of your total loss you need to increase your protein, maybe by 5g at a time. Having said that, I suspect your erratic figures (overall loss but BF gain) is probably more to do with your salt experiment than straight loss of LBM (especially if you are measuring your BF with a BIA monitor). It doesn't make sense that you would lose LBM & gain BF (I believe the body would metabolise at least some fat before protein unless your BF% is in single figures). MFP shows your av protein for the week is 63g which is not that far off your HSIS goal of 77g. (Even given you are taller than average & your work outs over the last few days were strenuous I still don’t think you are that low in protein given the fact it need to be moderate to get into NK)

Lastly, for a valid n=1, I think you need to keep the variables the same for a few weeks, 1 week an experiment does not make (believe me I’ve been there) so personally I would stick with what you've been doing for a couple of weeks without changing anything. You have said you felt good this week, your posts have certainly sounded more positive & happy AND you managed to avoid binging last night. Why change things so soon?

PS: I have read in a couple of places this week, including Jimmy Moore’s blog My 5 Low-Carb Mistakes And How Nutritional Ketosis Rescued Me From Them, that the required macro for deep NK is P12-C3-F85 and your av for the week was 15-6-78 so if anything your protein is still too high & fat too low for deep NK. Even if this means you eat more cals, the health benefits of NK & steady lower weekly loss may out weigh lower cals & a quicker on/off loss

NB: Getting the macro right (whatever that may be for you) seems to be the most important thing re deep NK as a) with the right macro it takes 4-6 weeks to achieve NK, b) just a few g of carb/protein too much or g of fat too low can knock you out of it

Please note all of the above is only my considered opinion – I’m no expert but I hope some of it gives food for thought

PPS: I read your link re protein, confusing or what? Now you know why I think n=1 is the only way to go.
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-08-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: can't spell Pebbles & clarification having reread original post