Page 514 of 1075 FirstFirst ... 144144645045125135145155165245646141014 ... LastLast
Results 5,131 to 5,140 of 10750

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 514

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    MA has mandatory state testings. My year was the first year they tried it out on 4th graders (the first year it was implemented at all). Used to be 4, 8th, and 10th grade, and required for graduation. Now they stretch it out over most years from 4th and up.

I don't know what will happen with my brother, who is 15, and not in a regular high school, and has Down Syndrome. He's high functioning, but I don't think he could pass those tests.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I am sort of surprised that they don't have a way for them to still earn their high school diplomas, that is beyond sad.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Up to a few years ago, there was a local diploma option. Miraculously, every kid in NY can now pass the exams.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    In Ohio, if you don't pass the graduation test, you get what's called a Certificate of Attendance and you cannot be at graduation. There were 2 kids in our class that received this so we all made up t-shirts to wear under our gowns in support of them. After we all received our diplomas, we took off our gowns and everyone had the shirts on. Ticked off the administrators of the district, but that was what my class was known for. Subsequent classes still do that in J-town. Heck, a class valedictorian got a Certificate of Attendance and was banned from graduation. How pathetic is that.
    Georgette

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Heck, a class valedictorian got a Certificate of Attendance and was banned from graduation. How pathetic is that.
    Seems that should have raised a flag that the test is bogus...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Seems that should have raised a flag that the test is bogus...
    or that grades are inflated...
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

High Stakes tests are bogus because many kids just can't do well taking a one shot 3 hour test. The worst one we have is actually in Global History. They take Global Studies in 9th and 10th grade. At the end of 10th they take a 3 hr regents covering both years. 55% of NY students do not pass it the first time.

In classes that end in a Regents, students must pass the class and the exam in order to get credit. All non Regents classes are are 3/4 class average 1/4 exam. If the overall average is passing, they pass.

All students must pass 3 math Regents, 3 science. 2 social studies, 1 english
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-28-2013 at 03:23 PM.

In other news, I am so glad that I chose to go to school today. I had lots of students make up work. Plus I was able to accomplish a lot of other work on my desk.
    For the first time this year, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. We have hit our local exam approval deadlines and are prepared for the end of the year. Observations are complete. My application to teach College 1 Spanish is in to the local college. (Funny thing, I've been teaching the course for 2 years, but they just asked me to apply for the position. )
    Now all I have to do is teach. Finally!

geostump is offline Senior Member
    When I had to take the state test to graduate, I had to take the math portion 6 times before I passed it. I remember passing it by the skin of my teeth. I'm talking one point away from being on the other side of the mat. They kept making the tests easier because they saw the number of kids fail it. That's why they're worthless. They're just dumbing everyone down. Ironically, Caitlyn and I had a similar discussion on this tonight. She started it.
    Georgette

February EMF Report

Weight 226.6 -2.6 lbs

Inches -5

BF% -2.2

I am happy with my results this month. Sadly, I had 6 binge days.
    Between the middle of January and Feb 10th I had a run of 25 clean days. I let myself get talked into eating some wheat and sugar at a party and completely lost my momentum. I have only been able to string together a few days at a time since. I have told my husband that "a little bit " does hurt, so please understand when I say "No!".
    I went back to the gym full time this month which shows in the inches and BF % lost.

This month I learned:
    that the lower protein experiment is working in spite of the binges.

that when getting back into ketosis there is a crisis at about 5 days to a week when my body will scream for carbs just before it changes over to fat burning. I have to make it past this hurdle.

that keeping hydrated and balancing electrolytes is essential to staying on track.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-01-2013 at 05:12 AM.