Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 512

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Grades are Done!

It was a good day.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Hooray, Paula!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a good day. Nicely done.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I hear the relief. Yea!

I had the opportunity to stay home from school today, but have decided to go in. Maybe I can get a few more kids to make up work. Hope I don't regret it.

Today was supposed to be the Spec. Ed. annual review for my youngest son, but the meeting was postponed. I expressed our concerns to the SE Chairperson and we decided to have Kevin fully tested again to see if the self-contained setting is right for him. We feel that being in such a restrictive, non inclusive environment is not preparing him for the future. The class includes 11 boys of varying disabilities.

Unfortunately, although Kevin normal to high intelligence, he also has the Aspergian's tendency towards anger when overwhelmed. This may keep him in the self contained classroom.

Anyway, both my husband and I were proud of the way I handled the situation and clearly expressed our concerns. Even if the testing changes nothing, we tried.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Good for you, Paula. Glad he's getting the testing.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    Good for you, Paula. Glad he's getting the testing.
    Yup, this. Hopefully, they can find the best setting for him possible. As for anger when overwhelmed, I thought that was the male tendency. Huh, perhaps that is just me.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

It is a male tendency, which is why boys with Aspergers have more difficulty. My son Mike would get so wound up in middle school that he would just begin to release a string of obsceneties that would have made the father in "A Christmas Story" blush. I thought it was kind of funny.
    They would let him take a walk whenever he needed to. He seems to have found his niche in HS. They work on a block (90min) schedule, which is easier for him. Less movement, fewer things to forget=less stress. He is in a program created especially for kids with autistic spectrum disorder.
    Our only concern is whether he is getting enough education to pass the NYS Regents exams. The teacher in this program must teach to the level of the weakest student. In NYS all students including disabled and foreign born have to pass these rigorous exams or leave with out a diploma. Some parents are sending their seniors to live with family out of state to finish HS.

!@#$%^& NY

Good lord, that seems kind of rough. I can understand wanting a certain level of competence (exam or whatever), but if that is the case teach to the level needed to pass it not the level of the lowest student. And people wonder why I got out of education.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Yup, this. Hopefully, they can find the best setting for him possible. As for anger when overwhelmed, I thought that was the male tendency. Huh, perhaps that is just me.
    I get that way too... when I'm stressed/overwhelmed, I get pissy and snap at people. My children usually cause the feelings of being overwhelmed (non-stop requests for this or that while I'm trying to get dinner going, etc). I don't multitask very well and get overwhelmed easily. I always thought it was a symptom of my depression/anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer571 View Post
    Made it through my first clean week since before Thanksgiving!
    you again! Ugh... black triangle of death...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)