Page 374 of 1107 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375376384424474874 ... LastLast
Results 3,731 to 3,740 of 11062

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 374

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    My little Toyota Corolla seems to be a good little car. Changing the oil is a pain in the ass, because it's a cartridge filter, but it's a good, dependable, safe little car. I know Geek has a used 2007 Rav4, and it's still going strong. He previously owned a '98 Mazda 626, and that little car was tough as nails. He only gave it up because replacing the CV joints would cost more than the car was worth. Still running well, but she was finally showing her age.
    Anyways, Toyota and Mazda are my recommendations. Hyundai is really a coin toss, depending on the year. Stay the hell away from Daewoo and Saturn.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    I had a toyota corolla, was my first new car. I treated it very poorly (rarely got oil changes), and I had it until I met DH, I put 250,000 miles on it and when he found out I rarely did any maintenance he was afraid it was going to fall apart so we sold it. If it was me, I would buy the least expensive, toyota or honda, with the least amount of frills, new if possible, and know that I would have if for many many years to come.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Sorry, Pebbles............ car woe's really are a pain in the a$$! My son's car is constantly having issues and I'm hoping as soon as he gets settled into his house he will go buy a different car. Doesn't have to be new but needs to be reliable. I hope you get it worked out over the weekend so you can start the week on a happy note.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    If you ask any mechanic or anyone in the automobile industry, why would you buy a car with a 10yr 100k mile warranty? Means the car is not worth what you are paying for it. Most everyone I know with a Hyundai, they die at around 75k and are stuck with a POS.
    cuz its a gimmick and you dont need the warranty?? Mine was solid and still runs great. My mom has over 100,000 miles on hers and its still going strong. Low maintenance and tough as nails works for me.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Last night I went to bed so down, I cried myself to sleep. I binged all day of course because that is just so helpful in this situation. We are in bad financial straits mostly because my husband has only worked part time for most of our marriage. this was good for the kids when they were little and great for my Mom when she was sick, but now we find ourselves with no savings and poor credit due to "robbing Peter to pay Paul". We've never defaulted, but chronic lateness can easily tank a FICO score. I didn't even call my in laws last night to ask for down payment help because I was so ashamed.
    When my Mom died, she left us a legacy of about $45,000. I wanted to pay off our van and buy another car. Bill wanted to do some home improvement. Due to the disagreement, We did nothing but live on the money and now it is gone. We do have a nice big screen TV and some new dining room chairs...
    This was both our fault, but last night I was very angry, with him especially.
    Before I fell asleep I remember praying in desperation. "Lord help me to figure this out and help me not blame my husband. It is not ONLY his fault."

I woke up at 2 am with a to do list running through my head. I got up and wrote down..."Run credit report and FICO score" "Research Ford Fiesta, decide on max price and trim" "Call M & D and ask for $1000.00" "Go to credit union with credit info and apply face to face" "Visit Ford dealer and ask for what you want". For 2 hours I worked on research and credit report stuff. then went back to bed for 2 hrs.

Today my eldest son and I followed my list. The banker thought my score wasn't so bad (It is a D) and I may qualify. I chose to go with the base model Fiesta with the manual transmission, got the info, but did not sign anything. Tomorrow I will go look at the Nissan Versa. It starts at a lower price point, so I could get a higher trim model for my $15,000. My max budget is actually $16,500 if I get approval on Monday. I'm not going to worry right now about not getting approved.

So far in my research, the Versa is winning. There are some very bad reports on the Manual transmission of the fiesta. The funny thing is if I go with a higher versa model, I have to go automatic. Certainly easier for my sons to learn on. The Versa is not as sexy, though.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Good job making your list and plugging away at it. It is what it is, and you can use your energy to fret and apologize for it, or use your energy to move forward.
    When I was dealing with our one creditor whom we could not pay in full during the joblessness, it was a great relief to me to know, that although I was not doing all THEY wanted, or all I wanted, I was doing all I COULD.
    No one is expecting us to be perfect, or even do our BEST all the time. But if we just do SOMETHING, it is good.
    Hang in there, Pebbles. The wheel turns, and things get better. Just keep plugging along so that you are still standing when it comes. We're all rooting for you.
    I'm sorry about the anger and despair. I know where you are coming from. Hugs, that's all I can say, hugs.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Hey, good work, P! Sounds like you had some grieving time and are moving forward. I hope you can get a sexy car, but just having a working one is obviously a priority
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I guess I should add that it hit me today...I am very upset over "losing" my Mom's car. That is part of the reason I did not trade it in in the summer for a new car. I wasn't ready. I feel like I lost a piece of my Mom. Not logical or true, but the feelings are there all the same. I said as much to my son while we were out together today. I got a little tearful. He said. "I wondered how you were feeling about that. You will never lose Nana, she is watching over us from Heaven." I said, "Do you remember how we used to laugh over stupid things?" He said "I bet she is making God laugh now."

At least the car was preserved for posterity in the movie "Sisterhood of the Night". Well, if I'm having this much trouble letting go of her car...imagine what will happen when her cat dies.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    It's not silly, Paula. I have had trouble letting go of a lot of my grandparents stuff (although it was somewhat easier because they lived in WY and me here...I couldn't haul that much stuff).
    -- Ruth

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Hugs P. Here's to better days
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony