Page 334 of 1089 FirstFirst ... 234284324332333334335336344384434834 ... LastLast
Results 3,331 to 3,340 of 10883

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 334

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The benefit of living in a dark scary place is nobody comes to our house for Halloween. We get to go out and have fun as a family.

I am torn between two Paleo ish books and ways of eating right now.

I have read the Schwarzbein Principal II and do see her point about having at least 15 g of protein at each meal. I usually feel pretty good on her plan and lose weight steadily. She allows non processed starches and low carb fruits and does not necessarily see grains as evil for all.

I am also re reading Primal Body Primal Mind and her arguements for eating VLC are very compelling. I wonder if I will ever be able to conquer the binge eating monster with SPII. I tend to have longer periods of sanity on low carb. Plus she is into very clean eating/living. **I need to say here that I no longer believe that my health crisis back in February was caused by VLC eating. It turns out that I was suffering from Adrenal exhaustion which can cause all of the scary symptoms that I experienced.

I think the solution may be a combo of both. VLC most of the time, then one higher clean carb day per week to keep things revved up.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 11-01-2012 at 07:50 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    My parents live on a dead-end street that's poorly lit. They always put lights and decorations on the front yard so people might be enticed to come down (they're only the second house in), but there aren't usually a lot of visitors anyway. This year, their front steps are falling apart, so they blocked them off with fake spider-webs and left the candy on the front walk on a chair. My mom and brother came down to my apartment and chatted for a bit, and my brother helped hand out candy. Handing out candy can be fun, but it's definitely nice to relax or spend time with loved ones too.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I am torn between two Paleo ish books and ways of eating right now.

I have read the Schwarzbein Principal II and do see her point about having at least 15 g of protein at each meal. I usually feel pretty good on her plan and lose weight steadily. She allows non processed starches and low carb fruits and does not necessarily see grains as evil for all.

I am also re reading Primal Body Primal Mind and her arguements for eating VLC are very compelling. I wonder if I will ever be able to conquer the binge eating monster with SPII. I tend to have longer periods of sanity on low carb. Plus she is into very clean eating/living. **I need to say here that I no longer believe that my health crisis back in February was caused by VLC eating. It turns out that I was suffering from Adrenal exhaustion which can cause all of the scary symptoms that I experienced.

I think the solution may be a combo of both. VLC most of the time, then one higher clean carb day per week to keep things revved up.
    I am wrestling with this same issue. I have not read primal body primal mind but the SPII and SoS are where I am at. They are so similar but there are a few differences.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    The first thing I noticed about getting my moods more stable on Primal was eating protein with every meal, especially first thing in the morning. When I started, I was having protein shakes for breakfast nearly everyday, mostly because it was helping me adjust to a work schedule (I was struggling with low cortisol levels and trouble waking). The shakes were chocolate whey protein powder that used stevia as sweetener and had 25g of protein, with coconut, cow, or almond milk. Sometimes I added almond butter. Sometimes I had scrambled eggs too. I think it was the high protein breakfast (protein shakes don't really fill me up) that helped me manage the Seasonal Affective Disorder (is that something you struggle with? don't know if you've noticed any changes with the sun getting lower), though it was too expensive to maintain. I recall that you were using whey protein at some point, not sure if you still are.

My thoughts on protein are that if amino acids help with my moods, then it makes a lot of sense that higher amounts of protein (I was averaging around 120g daily, which is 1g/lb of body weight, earlier this year) would help regulate them as well. My more recent digestive issues are definitely impacting my ability to absorb nutrients, hence why I need the 5-HTP again. Gut health may have a lot more to do with mental health than a lot of people realize, but it's a difficult relationship to figure out. I think your combination approach sounds like a really good point to start with experimenting.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Paula, I honestly think you exercise too much to eat VLC. See Mark's article about stalled weight loss (today or yesterday). He also mentions the tweaking issue, which was a big problem for me before I got off the scale. Staying off the scale has had the biggest impact on my attitude and my success at sticking with it.

I like SSoS because it makes sense to me, is flexible, and is backed by science. I like that it is not an all or nothing approach, and is designed to be customizable. I can actually accomplish it without feeling deprived or even that I am dieting. I shoot for at least 10 different veggies (you could also visit Dr. Wahls concept of 9 which she used to cure her MS) and 30+g of protein per times that I eat (usually 3 meals and 1 snack). I am photographing, but not posting or sharing the photos yet, every thing that I put in my mouth. Started that yesterday and it seemed to help.

Good luck with what ever you choose
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

OK make that 3 books. A friend of mine recommended Nourishing Traditions. She is a "normal" woman without any visible health issues, yet she says eating according to that plan has restored her health. Doctors were about to put her on antidepressants because they and she believed that her exhaustion was depression.

She is a cross fitter and a christian. She believes that as long as she eats things the way God made them, she can't go wrong. She does eat grains, limited to 2 servings max but sprouted, organic and non GMO. Now, for me grains are problematic, but it may be a way to get my husband and kids on board.

She found a farm where she gets raw dairy and organic free range chickens and has offered to take me some Sunday. Speaking of dairy, I've been eating full fat greek yogurt with breakfast. Yum.

So for now, I will eat according to SPII but aiming to find organic, grass fed sources for our food.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 11-02-2012 at 03:02 AM.

Theatre Update on "Annie Get Your Gun" I auditioned last Saturday afternoon. I was called back for the role of Dolly Tate, the asst. to Frank Butler who gets displaced by Annie and becomes the sort of villain of the show.

Callbacks were supposed to happen on Monday night but were postponed to next Thursday. I cannot go because that is the day before "Lust N' Rust" opens. I sent the director some references to call if he is still interested in me. I won't be terribly disappointed if I don't get the role. It is a 40 min drive to the theatre from my home.

And...I had my first professional head shot taken last night. They put pictures of the actors and actresses in the lobby of the theatre for the run of the show.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 11-02-2012 at 03:11 AM.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I have heard many good things about Nourishing Traditions.

How fun to have your "professional head shot" posted in the lobby, that kicks it up a notch! congrats.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    I have heard good things about NT as well. I personally think there are a number of permutations that will work. The key is finding what works for your body and sticking to it long enough to heal your body and then let it work.

VLC doesn't work for me - but it's because I don't enjoy it. I can reduce carbs, but I love things like butternut squash, pumpkin, etc. Rice, other grains? Don't need those I've often wondered if I was willing to eat more organ meats if that would change things for me.

I think it's hard because you see so many different variations that apparently work...and it seems like the success stories are about pretty fast changes. And so we keep trying different things - VLC, IF, etc. I don't know, other than it's all rather confusing.

Cheering you on as you find the workable solution for you.
    -- Ruth