Page 315 of 1153 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325365415815 ... LastLast
Results 3,141 to 3,150 of 11527

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 315

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hehehehehe, I know, but then again, I saw your fb post lol. 'Grats!
    Georgette

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for keeping it on the downlow.

So...I was offered my choice of two roles. Janette and Latisha. There was another actress that was up for the same roles and she was a perfect Janette. I chose to play the 20 something African American hairstylist from Chicago. However, the director has to ask permission to make major script changes to make her white. I actually suggested Spanish or South American because it would be ethnic but work with my looks.

In the end, the writers may say "no way". In that case I won't be in this show, but I liked the experience anyway.

I need to vent. Sometimes doing the right thing does not have the best results, but it is still the right thing. It was right to refuse the role of Janette because the other girl was perfect for it. It was right to send the following email to the director yesterday:

"Hi Tom,

I found this contact for you on the web site.

Last night, I did some research on the character of Latisha. I listened to the excerpt of her song on the main "Lust N' Rust" page. I must say that I am a bit concerned about how much would have to change with the role in order to make her white. It would be a shame to chop the character to bits, but I would still like to play the role. I wondered if it would help at all to make her hispanic instead? I can do that accent and could throw in a little Spanish to boot. Granted, I haven't read all of her lines or heard the songs, so I am not sure if it would work.

That said, If you happen to find a black actress in the next week, I won't be insulted if you want to have the role played as originally written. I'll be really interested to hear the reaction of the authors when you contact them.

I had a great time at the auditions. See you Tuesday night.

Paula"

Last night the director called me and said the writers were against changing the character (no surprise there) and that they are still looking for an African American actress. He said he read my email to the playwright who found the idea of making her hispanic intriguing. The author also agreed with me that the character would be massacred by making her white. The director still wants me to be in the show as an extra and understudy.

The funny thing is that I am not disappointed about Latisha. I never wanted that role or Janette either. I wanted to be Connie, the lead with the two love interests. The two men playing the love interests are good friends of mine. Anyway, my vent is about how I never had a chance. On Wednesday when I auditioned, I thought it was odd that I was only asked to read for Connie once. On Thursday I arrived for call backs and saw the reason why. There was a petite, pretty, blonde woman there. When I arrived, she was singing a country ballad to the director and his wife. She and the woman playing Tanya are already known members of the Coach House Players.

Anyway, it pushed all of my "unwanted, big and fat girl" buttons. It is not that she has a prettier face than I or is more talented, it is probably just that she fits the directors mental picture of the sweet little country girl. I have always been big and tall. Sometimes I hate it.

I know it is childish to feel this way and I don't want it to ruin my experience with this show. That is why I am venting here.

Last night I had a good "drama queen" cry over the whole thing. I will now put on my big girl panties and gladly play whatever background role is given to me. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 09-08-2012 at 03:53 AM.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Tough break! If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure that many famous and fabulous actors have had the same rant many times over. So often talent makes so much less impact than does the directors mental image of who should play a part. Your attitude in stepping back though may be what gets remembered out of all of this. Don't know if you remember the movie "The Big Chill", but Kevin Costner was the guy who commited suicide, and we never saw. He was supposed to be in many scenes, but they were all cut. He had such a good attitude about it that the director cast him in his very next film (Silverado) and you know where his carear went from there.

Wishing you a great experience even if it is not what you expected

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Anyway, it pushed all of my "unwanted, big and fat girl" buttons. It is not that she has a prettier face than I or is more talented, it is probably just that she fits the directors mental picture of the sweet little country girl. I have always been big and tall. Sometimes I hate it.

I know it is childish to feel this way and I don't want it to ruin my experience with this show. That is why I am venting here.

Last night I had a good "drama queen" cry over the whole thing. I will now put on my big girl panties and gladly play whatever background role is given to me. Thanks for listening.
    This is the primary reason I got out of acting in the first place. I got tired of hearing, "You have talent, a pretty face and beautiful eyes, but the body." After hearing that crap growing up from my mother, I thought as an adult, I wouldn't have to deal with that but apparently I was wrong. I could deal with rejection based upon not being right for a role but the whole body thing was just too much for me. Glad you still have to cajones to do this.
    Georgette

I am so grateful today. 6 clean days in. I did not binge last night while my husband was at work and my weight is coming down 1-2 lbs a day. I am still 23 lbs above my lowest Primal wt., but I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am feeling better physically and mentally as well.

Here is a rundown of my plan right now. I guess I posted this in the binge support thread, but not here.

Food I am eating 3 meals and one protein snack before bed. B: 2 eggs & peppers onions and mushrooms cooked in ghee
    L: tuna & mayo or left over dinner protein plus 1 serving veg D: Protein, veg and fat NS: 1 oz cheese
    I drink 2-3 cups of coffee with CM and 1 pkt stevia. When I am out it is H n' H and 1 splenda. Notice: Zero fruit, VLC.

I am not officially W30 any longer, but I am going for 30 days of no binges.

Supplements In the AM I take an adrenal fatigue supp, multi, B-complex, omega 3, D3, calcium, C, iodine, magnesium and Prozac (on days 14-28 of my cycle) PM is now just a second dose of magnesium and coumadin for my blood clotting disorder. I ditched the melatonin for sleep and moved the calcium to morning. Sleep is slowly improving. I have the most trouble falling asleep.

Exercise 2 LHT days, 1 belly dancing, 1 cardio kick at the gym. 3 days of apps at home push ups, sit ups, squats

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, Paula, so glad for the 6 clean days! I'm rooting for you!!!
    -- Ruth

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is great, Pebbles. Are you planning anything different as you move into the middle of your cycle? (To ward off hormonally influenced binges, I mean.)