Page 232 of 1154 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282332732 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 11532

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 232

canio6 Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    I'm going to make some phone calls home to see if I can light a fire under a few kids.
    Is that what they call it in NY? We always referred to it as 'applying the board of education to the seat of learning'

Seriously though, sometimes someone caring is all it takes. Most kids want to learn and do well, they just need someone to give a shit. I'm glad they've got you P.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I am in the process of reading Dean Dwyer's book Make Shi(f)t Happen. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Dean's book is about what to do when your initial excitement about the Primal life wears off. He believes that most people need to make huge changes in their thinking before they can truly and permanently change their health. The book contains some really amazing strategies for this purpose.

Personally, I have hit a mental wall of Bedrock (pun intended). I have gained and lost the same 20 pounds over and over for 6 months. I am in a high wt. place right now and honestly feel awful. I know how to eat and exercise for optimal health. Now it is time to get the mental/emotional stuff worked out.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    I hate the mental/emotional stuff! And I hate it when the body doesn't cooperate with the healthy changes because that just makes the mental/emotional stuff even worse. Ugh, weight loss sucks.

I have looked at Dean's website but haven't looked too deeply. I like his title though.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Jenn, Sadly, these are my students. They just hit all my buttons today. The speech and then the silent treatment/work combo was effective. They were freaked because I'm not like that.

Jon is correct. There are difficult kids at every level. Most of the time behind a difficult kid, you'll find no one. No one telling them what to do or how to act or just to listen and do their best. I'm usually really good with the at risk population, because I am clear about how to succeed. I'm going to make some phone calls home to see if I can light a fire under a few kids.
    I am glad I am not the only one having student issues. My 6th graders are morphing to 7th graders..eww and with it comes potty minds, mouths and bodies. I will be happy to send them on their way even though this has been a much better bunch than years prior.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    I am in the process of reading Dean Dwyer's book Make Shi(f)t Happen. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Dean's book is about what to do when your initial excitement about the Primal life wears off. He believes that most people need to make huge changes in their thinking before they can truly and permanently change their health. The book contains some really amazing strategies for this purpose.

Personally, I have hit a mental wall of Bedrock (pun intended). I have gained and lost the same 20 pounds over and over for 6 months. I am in a high wt. place right now and honestly feel awful. I know how to eat and exercise for optimal health. Now it is time to get the mental/emotional stuff worked out.
    Girlfriend I FEEL ya!!!! If I felt any worse I might just say f-it and give up.. grrr.. But instead I am drinking some nasty tasting 'green' juice-concoction and sipping lemon water and gritting my teeth to try and get through a kidney stone issue.. *sigh* why is it that when we were messing up and eating like crap we sufferred the consequences but then when we changed our habits and started eating right we still have to suffer? We should be rewarded for all of these 'healthy' choices!!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    So, my students were lovely today and so was I ; ).

I was at the grocery store about an hour ago and ran into one of my students and her Mom. We said "hello" and I moved on. This girl is one of the gems. She is obviously happy and well loved. I ran into them a second time. The Mom hung back turned and mouthed to me. "She Loves You." I grinned and whispered "Thanks".

What a difference a day makes.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    That's a cool story. That kid will remember you the rest of her life. I'm almost 40 and I still think about my old music teacher Mr. Smith.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Teachers hold a special place in kids' hearts and the mom's cherish that. My son absolutely adores his teacher (he's in preschool) and I love that he's got such a great relationship with her. DH went to school with DS's teacher so he knows her well and we were thrilled to find out that's who his teacher would be.

Teachers are special people.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Both good and bad teachers are remembered, albeit for different reasons. It's the mediocre zoo minder teachers that no one remembers. I was luck enough to have mostly stellar teachers in HS and 3rd grade. The rest either stifled me, ignored me, or bored me. The exception to those two categories were the 2nd grade teacher (bitch was not only psychotic, but she tried to force me to be right handed in the early 90s) and the hobo wannabe in 9th grade, as well as several tenured professors in college.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by skink531 View Post
    That's a cool story. That kid will remember you the rest of her life. I'm almost 40 and I still think about my old music teacher Mr. Smith.
    +1
    i still think fondly of my music teacher. i miss him.