You know I've struggled with this issue myself this week. Here's some thoughts I'm having (hope it's okay to post these in your journal since we're "discussing" the issue):
* Daily weighing makes me crazy. If it's a "good" number, it's a "good" day. If it's a "bad" number, it's a "bad" day. How seriously crazy is that?
* If it's a "bad" number, I get this mentality "might as well eat XYZ anyway, since the scale doesn't move in the right direction when I eat well anyway". This is not good.
* I do not want to weigh in daily for the rest of my life. Yes, I want to lose weight. Yes, I want it now. But, I want everything I do now to enable success - permanent weight loss. If I can't do it now without daily weigh-ins, how will I do then?
* I was much happier when I didn't weigh-in daily (see all the reasons above).
* Would daily weighing have changed the weight gain? I don't think so. I have other issues I'm currently working through (and, until I get those nailed down, I'm not likely to stop bouncing my weight around). And maybe that's the key for me...at least right now.
On the other hand...
* Not weighing daily...I was worried every day about how I was doing. It was almost as bad knowing the number...
* When I would eat in a sub-optimal fashion, I would tell myself it was okay, I still had plenty of time before I weighed again. To certain extent, this is true. But, it turned into the way I was eating everyday. Not so good.
* The tape measure moves slowly. I totally think it's the best signal of how I'm doing, but I'm a goal-oriented person. I need feedback. And sometimes the tape measure isn't moving fast enough for me to see it. It's somewhat the same with health. I need signals that I'm moving along the right track. [The solution to this might be having 3 goals I'm aiming for everyday and seeing if I can cross each 3 off each day...or something like that so that I can visually see progress toward goals. I don't know.]
* The scale has become a crutch, but I don't have to change every single habit in one fell swoop. I'm not sure it's so bad to use it now and then, when I get some other good habits ingrained, work on the scale habit.
Anyway, you know we'll support your decision no matter which way you decide to go. It had to be a rough morning. Hang in there. As I keep saying: We. Will. Get. There. Might not be fast or easy, but you will get to where you want to be.