Page 188 of 1155 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188189190198238288688 ... LastLast
Results 1,871 to 1,880 of 11543

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 188

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I really like your rules. I'm going to have to put my scale in an inconvenient place or I will end up on it. I'm somewhat lazy, so if I do something like put it at the top of my closet, I'll usually think it's too much work and then not weight
    -- Ruth

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    I really like your rules. I'm going to have to put my scale in an inconvenient place or I will end up on it. I'm somewhat lazy, so if I do something like put it at the top of my closet, I'll usually think it's too much work and then not weight
    Haha I'm the same way!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I also like the periodically check your food journal...so easy to obsessed over!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I emailed my husband to hide the scale.

I often eat similar items, so I think I'll do the food journal 1x/week or on a day when I eat something new.

Lex26 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    I only found success when I let go of weight. I think being hypothyroid, as awful as it has personally been , helped me learn self acceptance.

I finally got optimally medicated in 2008, after 8 years of under-mediated hell. By the end of that year I was the heaviest I had ever been, including during my twin pregnancy.

I knew I had to do something and after allowing time for my body to heal I made a deal with myself. My agreement:
    1. My focus would be on health-- improving health markers, avoiding diabetes, getting off pain meds for severe
    osteoarthritis pain and sleep aids for insomnia.
    2. Go "low" carb but not often under 50grams/day as this had worked for me before.
    3. Exercise 5 days a week. Start low and slow and increase/improve at steady slow pace.
    4. Track exercise, make comments to self on positives & negatives
    5. Give myself permission to stay obese as long as I was successful doing 1-4.

My start date was 1/1/2009. I recorded weight weekly and measurements monthly. Always reminding myself they didn't matter since I was living 1-4 on a daily basis.

By 1/1/2010 I was off pain meds and all but occasional sleep aids. All my health markers improved greatly.My increasing blood sugar issues normalized. I could now walk 5 miles a day on the treadmill (started with 5 min).

My eating was solid. Not perfect as I love pizza and Diet Pepsi is my drug of choice. It was something I could/can do long term.

I was successful. And, oh yeah, I was no longer obese. Focusing on health and daily choices and keeping the agreement I made to myself resulted in the number of "the machine" going down by almost 50.

It's been over 3 years since I made the agreement with myself. There have been bumps in the road- thyroid adjustments, family issues, deaths, the list goes on... However, I still live up to my agreement and continue to be successful.

I have finally learned I am so much more than a number on a stupid machine, a clothing size, or what society may or may not see as normal/worthy.
    Some very apt advice for those of us who just keep on hitting a weight loss wall. I wanted so much to think that committing to a diet and exercise regimen would be all I really needed. But when I reflect on the times I've lost weight while eating primal, it's never been during a time of intensive exercise or focused caloric restriction. I lost my first 20 pounds during one month of blissful relaxation. The month after graduating from school I didn't obligate myself to apply for jobs. I just ate healthy (no dairy or fruit during this intro to primal), slept as much as I wanted, took long, relaxing walks. The next month I continued eating the same, but focused more on applying for jobs/moved to my parents'. No weight loss. Summer continued to be unpredictable, much more frequent junk food consumption (but plenty of fun) with no weight loss, but hardly any gain either. Then I went to a stressful internship in DC, I continued eating the same but didn't think about weight. I did a lot of walking and running to metro stations to cover different events and do interviews. I would eat a solid egg breakfast most of the time, sometimes eat lunch, then eat dinner. Half the time I was too lazy to cook so that meant pork rinds and coconut milk. To my surprise I had actually lost weight by the beginning of November. The whole summer I'd been around 205 and suddenly I was at 198. Coming home for the holidays I ate some more junk and got back around 203-205.

After the holidays I started journaling on here and recommitting to everything primal - not just the diet but the exercise. Within two weeks I was 195. Three months later, after watching calories, weight training, sprinting, going VLC and - despite inconsistency - getting more sleep than I was getting last year, I am still hovering around 195. I've been extremely stressed out the entire time because of unemployment, financial woes, living back at home and haven't been doing as many long walks as I started out with in January.

So, if I just look at my experience, weight loss has only happened when at least one of the following was happening: a) I wasn't stressed and b) I was doing long/consistent bouts of slow moving exercise. As much as I don't want it to be true, I think my only route to weight loss these days is doing basically what you're doing plus stress management and lots of slow moving. In the meantime, I have to accept myself as I am because I don't have as much conscious control over the shape of my body as I would like to think. There is no point in looking at the weight scale for me any more because I really have no idea how my body works right now or what it wants from me before it slims down. I want to start gauging progress not on the weight scale, but my lifestyle and my mood.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Thanks for sharing Lex26. You have some great insight there.
    I tend to lose weight in spring and summer as the school year winds down and the weather gets better. I'm hoping that changing my focus to health and not obssesing over the numbers will make a difference.

Gym tonight. biceps, shoulders, legs. 6 exercises/4sets/20reps.
    Getting stronger again now that I upped my carbs.

2 days to spring break!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad that so many of us are interested in marcadav's five rules. I think putting weight last, and concentrating on our health, is the best thing any of us can do. I love how eating right (and sleeping! and getting sun!) make me FEEL.

vanessa40 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I'm glad that so many of us are interested in marcadav's five rules. I think putting weight last, and concentrating on our health, is the best thing any of us can do. I love how eating right (and sleeping! and getting sun!) make me FEEL.

I agree. When i have tunnel vision where my weigh is concerned i never seem to lose and the daily weighing drives me insane. I need to my hubby hid my scale too
    To Err Is Human
    To Forgive Is Canine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread94923.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    SW~220
    CW~136
    GW-125

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sleep 5:42. Restless

My metabolism is really revving. I kept waking up last night feeling like my body was doing something good. Weird Huh?

The no weighing is so freeing. I did not realize how much that number dictated everything. How I should feel, eat, exercise...

My oldest son was invited to a sweet 16 birthday party. He has been talking about this girl for 2 months. Apparently, she sent her friends to ask him if he likes her. He said very diplomatically, "Well, I don't really know her, but she seems nice." It is so cute that he is being pursued. That never happened to me in HS. He let me see her picture on FB. I said, "Damn boy, she's cute. Good Job." Then I said "OK Mom is done embarrassing you." He seems really happy. I'm so glad he feels close enough to me to share stuff like this.