Page 170 of 996 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270670 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 9954

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 170

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I went to see my chiropractor today. I laid it all out for him...how I went VLC, developed a sugar/carb binge issue, then had a physical crash with lots of scary symptoms and have now been diagnosed with hypoglycemia.

He nodded his head and said "Well, No wonder. You have turned your body into a Ferrari with Paleo eating. When you started messing around with the fuel you had an acute breakdown due to inflammation." It is very common for those on this type of eating program to have extreme reactions when slipping back into old ways. He said it is likely that there really is nothing wrong with my thyroid and the hypoglycemia will resolve itself with a stable diet, as will the bingeing and other symptoms.

He has always preached Paleo as Veg,Veg,Veg, & Meat. He never understood my need to get 130+grams of protein if I wasn't able to eat an optimal amount of veggies. I am finally listening.

His suggestion:

Specifically, he wants me to add starchy vegetables such as yams, beets, squash etc. to give my body something to run on in addition to the salad and other veg. that I already eat.

I asked about fruit. He said "fruit and nuts are a condiment or rarely, dessert".

He is also anti dairy like other Paleo purists, but he is ok with whey protein once in a while as long as it has no AS.

He wants me to tone down the exercise to a manageable level. He suggested kettlebells. I'll try to do short lifting workouts at the gym.

He was excited because he had just gone to see Robb Wolf and spent 1/2 an hour picking his brain. Apparently, they got along very well.

I love my chiro because he is always the voice of reason. His ideas are easy to follow and make sense. I feel much calmer after my adjustment and our talk. At least I now have a clear path to follow.

***The lesson: In my desperate need to get thin, I lost sight of the big picture, optimal health. If I don't take care of my "Ferrari", I may crash and burn and never reach my destination.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-12-2012 at 02:10 PM.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Specifically, he wants me to add starchy vegetables such as yams, beets, squash etc. to give my body something to run on in addition to the salad and other veg. that I already eat.
    Can I echo this a bit?

You will be happy eating upwards of two white potatoes a day... Give it a try!

Example day.

http://superraw.x10.mx/?p=52

This has made ALL the difference! You might want a bit more calories, but that's just the basis for my calorie intake (I add some cheese here and there/a bit more beef on days I workout.)

He wants me to tone down the exercise to a manageable level. He suggested kettlebells. I'll try to do short lifting workouts at the gym.
    Any heavy lifting should take 30 minutes at the gym. No more. Short quick bursts like in High Intensity Interval Training is awesome.

Of course, this is just what has been working for me. I hope everything works out for you!
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Josh Yes, He and I prefer sweet potatoes though.

If you have any short gym workout ideas let me know. I need to have a couple of options to change it up often.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Josh Yes, He and I prefer sweet potatoes though.

If you have any short gym workout ideas let me know. I need to have a couple of options to change it up often.
    Remember, two medium sized white potatoes still put you under 100g of sugar which is totally acceptable.

I was also happy to find out that the potato is a COMPLETE source of protein. I think the high glycemic load of white potatoes is overhyped and I've yet to see my triglycerides go up yet.

As for the workout, might I suggest doing a big 3 workout.

3 sets of 20 reps circuit of 3 major exercises. As long as you use a good weight at maybe 40% max you should feel it at the end of the workout for sure!

Squats/lat pulldowns/benchpress
    Deadlifts/row/pushups

leg/pull/push

This is a crossfit routine I saw on youtube somewhere...

Do one circuit with minimal rest in between each exercise, then wait 2 minutes for glycogen repletion.

If you do it right, your time (plus warmup) should be 25 minutes.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    sounds like a great chiro, and such a relief! i hope this works out for you.

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    I hope his suggestions help for you and you'll start feeling better soon!
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Wt. 228 Wheat bloat. I will be weighing 1x/wk from now on. (Fri or Sat). 6hrs sleep + a nap yesterday afternoon.

I have my first cold in 6 months. That may have been compounding my inability to breathe. No anxiety last night. I made sure to take all meds and supplements no later than 6pm. LHT at the gym.

Today is my first official day of the new plan.

B. 2 eggs 2 bacon 1/2cup peppers, onions mushrooms
    L. Chicken 1/2 cup beets, 1/2 cup "spring" vegetables
    D. meat, salad, sweet potato.
    Last edited by Pebbles67; 03-13-2012 at 05:30 AM.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Looks lovely, hope this is it! I am finding that staying under 100g of carbs as opposed to staying under 40g is a bit better for my energy levels. Of course I am careful about where those extra ones come from.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I tend to do best between 75 and 100 g carbs, anything below that causes nasty mental effects, anything above that starts feeling like a sugar rush or just dirty.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

PrimalCon New York
    I have just responded to the second person this week complaining of hypothyroid symptoms due to a long period of eating VLC.

Interesting. People are posting many links that show how long term vlc can be detrimental. How come I didn't know this before? Because I was blinded by my "get thin" obsession.