Page 15 of 1139 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725651155151015 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bedrock Journal - ( Pebbles67) page 15

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Clean day yesterday. Went to bed dreaming of buns (of the edible kind not cute backsides, sadly).

Best Advice for New Primals

I spoke to my dearest friend in the whole wide world yesterday (Hi Lisa!). She was interested in reading more about the Primal Lifestyle. When we hung up she was on MDA reading my journal. (Hope You liked it.)

In her honor, just in case she and Steve decide to try Primal, I am going to list my best advice for newbies.

1) Ditch Grains and sugar 1st. Try not to cheat (believe me cheating happens) for at least 4 weeks to give your body time to heal and start burning body fat. The longer you eat cleanly, the less you will crave garbage.
    Don't worry about eating Fruit and Dairy unless you have a lot to lose or are allergic. At the beginning I ate 2-3 fruits/day. Don't obsess about the "grass fed" thing either. Yes, that is the ideal, but some of us just can't afford to go that route.

2) No "tweaks" at first. Do Primal as laid out in Primal 101. ie. Don't try to Fast yet. There is lots of great (and not so great) advice on MDA. You can't possibly try it all at once so save experimentation for later.

3) Exercise. Download the "Primal Fitness" E-book. In my experience, Lifting Heavy Things (resistance training or the 5 essential moves) is the most important.

4) Add lots of Healthy Fats. Cook everything in Olive Oil, Coconut Oil or Real butter (Yes, butter is allowed). Use OO on salads. Add coconut oil to coffee or tea. Eat avocados.

5) "Carb Flu" - General tiredness, dizzyness, mental fuzziness etc. which occurs anytime from about the second week on is mostly a symptom of electrolyte imbalance. Drink 1-2 cups of Bouillon (veg, chicken or beef) per day to offset these problems. Sorry, it won't help with cravings.

6) Supplements - I take a lot, but to start everyone should take the following: Vitamin D (I take 8000iu), Omega 3 (I take 2000mg) and Magnesium chelate pills or Natural Calm powder ( I do 3 teaspoons in tea daily). There is plenty of research that shows the marked benefits of these 3 and most of us are deficient.

7) Take body measurements, Weight, Before Pics. (I also do body fat and BMI) It really helps with inspiring one to keep going.
    BUT...Remember this is a not a diet but a lifestyle that will heal your body if you stick to it. You may not lose weight right away, but changes are happening!

Hope this helps! Primal has saved my life. I want it to save yours too.

Paula

geostump is offline Senior Member
    That's a great list Paula. I think we all should go back and re-read that periodically.
    Georgette

azleah is offline Junior Member
    I also read your journal. In fact, you were the one who made me decide to go primal. I'm down 9 pounds in 4 weeks, and feel so much better!

Keep plugging away sister, we've got your back!

AZLEAH, That Rocks! Thanks for posting.

Haven't posted in almost a week. We are having 4 hour nightly practices for "The Music Man" which opens in six days. I may be very quiet for the next two weeks.

My eating has been poor this week. 4 off days out of the last 7. TOM is due any day now, so I should be able to get things back under control soon. I want several clean days in before the show starts.

Dean Dwyer over at beingprimal.com has been doing a series of videos on planned cheating. I'm going to try out some of his ideas.

Thoughts on Living with Cancer

My uncle Tom died last night in Wisconsin. He had fought Liver cancer for over ten years. My Mom just returned from a 2 week visit there. She and her two remaining brothers had a really special time together. He got sick again right at the end of the family reunion on July 9th and went into the hospital. Mom came home just last Tuesday. Tom was the baby brother, only 62, so this is especially hard on her. She has also had to accept that she may be the last survivor of 11 siblings. My Uncle Don is older than she is and in poor health. Interestingly, 6 of the 11 siblings had cancer, all different types. 5 have died of it.

I may have mentioned before that my Mom, who is seventy two, also has cancer. She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer 3.5 years ago. She almost died of fluid build up before the diagnosis was made, so the last 3 years we have had together have been a gift. On Friday, we went to see her oncologist. She told him that she had been feeling short of breath and tired. Her oxygenation has been only 94% the last few days. This means that the cancer is spreading again and she is filling with fluid. So we are back in the fight! She has appointments for fluid removal and a CT scan this week and chemo will restart as well. The Doctor gave her several months off chemo, because at her age it could kill her as easily as the cancer. He has been so smart about balancing treatment with quality of life. I'm thankful for him. ( Not to mention that he is a cute Italian, with an adorable accent who make my and my Mom's hearts go pitter pat.)

Mom and I have learned to take each day as it comes. Yes, every battle to beat back the cancer gets tougher each time. You rarely get remission from Ovarian Cancer. This could very well be the last battle...or not.

Finally, a reminder to myself. I am a prime candidate for a female cancer. In addition to a family history, I was raised on Long Island, NY which has a huge breat cancer cluster of unknown origin. I know that cancers feed on sugar, so the Primal diet is one that could prevent cancer from thriving in my body. ( And it helps prevent blood clots as I have mentioned before)

I need to remember these facts before I take that first bite of garbage.

Thanks for reading,
    Paula

Sorry for the loss of your uncle Tom. Praying for your family for not only you and your uncle but your mom as well. Sending love.
    Georgette

Thanks for the prayers Geo,

Today, Mom has to go for a paracentesis to remove the fluid that is making breathing difficult. Long Day. Eating Clean will make it easier.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Good thing primal eating helps with feelings of stress and anxiety as well. I'll be thinking of you.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good luck today and I hope that things go well for your mom.
    Georgette