Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie: What's the deal with jogging? page

aswimmy is offline Junior Member

Newbie: What's the deal with jogging?

Okay I wanted to ask you more experienced PBFs out there...I've always enjoyed going for short runs (20-30 minutes) 1-3 a week. However I understand the physical reactions to getting my heart rate about 75% at a sustained pace. Has anyone who enjoys jogging/running found something that works for them that fits within the PBF framework? Jogging at a slower pace, jogging less oftern, etc.? I'd love to know!

To add to this in the PBF eBook Mark says "Once in a while it can be beneficial to exceed your 75% limit for a sustained workout." What does "once in a while" mean? Once a week? When you feel like it?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I go for a long run a week (3 miles)... it's fine. That's not chronic.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I'm all for jogging! Throw in some sprints (or longer "threshold runs") once every week or two and you're set.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

geoffspakes is offline Member
    As an avid trail runner that is going primal I'm also curious about this. I'll do a 5 - 10 mile run once a week that takes between one and two hours depending upon the trail. I've done some calculations and determined that 75% of my maximum heart rate is around 135 - 140; I wear a heart rate/footpod watch and usually average around this for the entire run. Sometimes higher spikes, sometimes lower stretches.

So, I'm guessing this is all good.

Clint W is offline Junior Member
    I still jog once or twice a week. Sometimes I'll either throw a sprint in the middle or a walk during the jog just to keep my heart "guessing."
    Jogging for me is like yoga for others. It centers my mind and relaxes me. I think the chronic cardio Mark speaks of is geared more towards marathoners etc. A couple of times a week should be fine.
    Good luck!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    The whole chronic cardio thing is a gray area, mostly because it's hard to define what chronic cardio is with any sort of consensus, since for some active people jogging 4-5 miles is a warm-up to lifting or what-have-you but for less active people (or those like me that just don't love to jog unless I'm chasing after a ball or something) 5 miles seems like "too much".

The way I figure it, if the ONLY reason why you're jogging is because you think that's the ONLY way you're going to lose weight, that's chronic cardio. That literally was me just a year ago, I would set out on daily 3-5 mile jogs in the morning, monday through friday without fail for about two months before I stopped because I was still as tubby as I was and I hated the jogging. That was right around the time I found MDA and the rest is history.

If, like Clint W said, jogging is something that relaxes you and you understand that you're not doing just for weight loss purposes, then more power to you, especially if you space out your runs and aren't hitting the pavement every single day and dreading it every time.

Running in general is a great workout, but like any other great workout it should be done moderately, I just see way too many folks sweating it out at any random time of the day (veeeery early in the morning is what creeps me out the most, go to sleep) and I often wonder if they know there's other things they could be doing to improve their body composition, both in diet and exercise. I'd say 80% of the time they are going along with CW.

Bit off topic but, has anyone else noticed that in most commercials for "healthy" food, people are always jogging? I can't remember a recent commercial in which somebody was lifting a heavy weight or anything like that, unless the commercial was specifically geared towards that audience. Most Kashi or cereal commecials are about jogging or something similar...

Mattman is offline Member
    My two cents: It doesn't make a bit of difference in the long run. If you feel like jogging then jog. If I feel like having one of my mums' chocolate chip cupcakes then I'll have one. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    Here's my resolve.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Great post Iniquity

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks everyone this helps a lot! I definitely run because, like Clint W, jogging to me is like yoga to others. And I usually do a trail run that has hills and I'll do sprints or longer thrush-hold runs sometimes.

Also like Mattman said, this is why I love the PB...don't sweat the small the because that leads to burnout both on diet and exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast