Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie: What's the deal with jogging? page 2

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by aswimmy View Post
    Okay I wanted to ask you more experienced PBFs out there...I've always enjoyed going for short runs (20-30 minutes) 1-3 a week. However I understand the physical reactions to getting my heart rate about 75% at a sustained pace. Has anyone who enjoys jogging/running found something that works for them that fits within the PBF framework? Jogging at a slower pace, jogging less oftern, etc.? I'd love to know!
    Twenty-thirty minutes, three times a week, keeping it slightly slower than 75%. Also do a set of eight full out sprints two or three times a week.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Runner here as well..... short runs 3 miles or less a few times a week. or a 1 mile warm up run on the TM before lifting. 1 sprint session every other week, keeps me humming along.... It's the soul draining 60+ minute workouts on an arc trainer or eliptical would be deemed chronic..... especially every single day like I see all the dummies in the gym doing whose bodies have not changed in 2 years......

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    It's the combination of intensity, length, and frequency: running at a medium-intensity for a sustained period is stressful to the body, but so is lifting weights. Done at a proper frequency (depending on intensity and length, the greater the two are, the lower the frequency) it causes the body to adapt, becoming stronger. Done too much, you never give the body a chance to heal but instead keep it in a state of chronic inflammation -- not good.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessGrok View Post
    Runner here as well..... short runs 3 miles or less a few times a week. or a 1 mile warm up run on the TM before lifting. 1 sprint session every other week, keeps me humming along.... It's the soul draining 60+ minute workouts on an arc trainer or eliptical would be deemed chronic..... especially every single day like I see all the dummies in the gym doing whose bodies have not changed in 2 years......
    I actually struggle with this. We're supposed to move slowly 3-5 hours a week, yet discourage long sessions on a particular device/machine. I do 40-45 minutes on the arc or elliptical with heart rate never going above 75%, and I don't mind spending that amount of time...

geoffspakes is offline Member
    As a newbie, I'm reading and trying to soak in the primal lifestyle and I struggle with this portion of it as well. However, I'm not out running trails to primarily get into shape, I do it because as an earlier poster mentioned it's an enjoyable escape. Keep in mind that I use the term "running" loosely because there's a ton of walking on the uphills.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffspakes View Post
    As a newbie, I'm reading and trying to soak in the primal lifestyle and I struggle with this portion of it as well. However, I'm not out running trails to primarily get into shape, I do it because as an earlier poster mentioned it's an enjoyable escape. Keep in mind that I use the term "running" loosely because there's a ton of walking on the uphills.
    What you want to do is more than fine.

Again, the unfortunate side of this is two things:

- Nobody can truly agree on what length of time, intensity, frequency, etc, really constitute "chronic cardio" and this CANNOT be done, because people have different levels of fitness so what to some may be over-doing it, to more conditioned people it's really just a way to get the blood flowing.

- Even if such a consensus were to be agreed upon, it's still up to the individual to decide if they want to subscribe to that or not. If Mark were to hop on and say "From now on, daily 2 mile jogs are chronic cardio... my children go on to the world and share my message" some people would say "Yep, that sits about right with my preconceived notion of chronic cardio" while others would think Mark has lost his marbles and wouldn't listen for a second.

Personally I think I need to actually jog more, I'm gaining an interest in Parkour so in order to train specifically towards learning some of those movements I have to get used to moving my feet in between feats (jumping, climbing, etc) so I need to work on my stamina. I think any run further than 3-4 miles would at this point for me be hard to complete and that's kind of absurd considering I'm not carrying much with me, but it's a "muscle" that's under-developed because I haven't been on a proper jog in a long while. Even before finding MDA I would try to spice up my jogs by leaping over small obstacles, being careful where I stepped on, sprinting, etc, so that it wouldn't be as boring. I want to have one hill sprint session every 10 days for stamina and strength development and a more traditional jog of up to 5 miles also every couple of days so I can start developing my endurance and stamina.

As far as I'm concerned since a lot of us here are into training that's "functional" and translates into real world movement we should be doing more running. I'm noticing a lot of endurance gains in my strength training (is that an oxymoron?) so I should strive for a more complete body by making sure I won't gas out after 3 miles.

You have to strive for balance.

You also have to remember these are all nothing but guidelines, you make the final decisions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12