Thread: Lost 37 lbs with a Fingerstick page

Grizz is offline Banned

Lost 37 lbs with a Fingerstick

Shop Now
    I thought this was an amazing report from my favorite cardiologist, Dr. Wm Davis. So I am sharing it with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Davis
    Jack needed to lose weight. At 5 ft 7 inches, he weighed in at 273 lbs, putting his BMI at a sobering 42.8. (A BMI of 30 or above is classified as "obese.") In addition to lipoprotein(a), Jack had an extravagant quantity of small LDL (the evil "partner" of lipoprotein(a)), high triglycerides, and blood sugars in the diabetic range. With a heart scan score of 1670, Jack had little room for compromises.

Try as he might, Jack could simply not stick to the diet I urged him to follow. Three days, for instance, of avoiding wheat was promptly interrupted by his wife's tempting him with a nice BLT sandwich. This triggered his appetite, with diet spiraling downward in short order.

So I taught Jack how to check his blood sugars using a fingerstick device, what I call the most important weight loss tool available. I asked Jack to check his pre-meal blood glucose and his one-hour after-meal blood glucose and not allow the after-meal blood glucose to rise any higher than the pre-meal. For example, if blood glucose pre-meal was 115 mg/dl, after-meal blood glucose should be no higher than 115 mg/dl.

If any food or combination of foods increase blood glucose more than the pre-meal value, then eliminate the culprit food or reduce the portion size. For example, if dinner consists of baked salmon, asparagus, and mashed potatoes, and pre-meal blood glucose is 115 mg/dl, post-meal 155 mg/dl, reduce or eliminate the mashed potatoes. If slow-cooked, stone ground oatmeal causes blood glucose to increase from 115 mg/dl to 185 mg/dl (a typical response to oatmeal), then eliminate it.

Having immediate feedback on the effects of various foods finally did it for Jack: It identified foods that were triggering excessive blood sugar rises (and thereby insulin) and foods that did not.

What Jack did not do is limit or restrict calories. In fact, I asked him to eat portion sizes that left him comfortable. There was no need to reduce calories, push the plate away, etc. Just don't allow blood sugars to rise.

Six months later, Jack came back 37 lbs lighter. And he got there without calorie-counting, without regulating portion sizes, without hunger.
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...ngerstick.html

The MOST important weight loss tool:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...loss-tool.html

Fascinating concept to motivate weight loss,
    Grizz

Grizz is offline Banned
    This begs the question, where can we go to shop for the best prices on fingerstick test strips?

Google Search for test strip prices comes up with this, where 100 strips are $84 for the Ultratouch Any ideas?
    http://www.diabetesstore.com/listite...tname=OneTouch

I don't have a meter yet and I want minimal cost for the strips. Any recommendations for which meter has the best prices for strips?

Grizz

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Very cool, gotta love how doctors are finally starting to pick up on the "high carb is bad" idea.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

DanC is offline Senior Member
    Wow, Ive had to prick my fingers for years and hate it! Its hard to imagine you want to do that. But in my experience anything under a dollar a strip is a good price. They give the meters away to get you on the strips.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Grizz/everyone, does anybody read the "My carb Sane-Asylum" blog? it's the first thing I thought of when I read this, I didn't know it, but the author of that blog already addressed this issue here: http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2010/...king-diet.html

Regarding the bit about Jack not having to count calories, not going hungry, etc, she says:

I'm all for ad libitum diets that reduce intake spontaneously, but as my regular readers know well, I can't stand the misrepresentation of such diets as not restricting calories or intake. If Jack lost 37 pounds it had nothing to do with his insulin and blood glucose levels, it was because he was eating a VLC diet known for rather significant reductions in intake w/o deliberate restriction. Gosh folks! This IS the BEAUTY of low carbing! I long for the day that the "gurus" embrace this rather than trying to convince people that they really do lose weight without eating less. There are literally thousands of folks out there diligently following a low carb plan and wondering why they aren't losing weight ... or worse, gaining.

I also have to pipe up a bit about hunger. It's a NATURAL sensation. If you are eating a diet that has your body signalling properly, etc., being hungry should not be an issue that sends you face down into a pile of insert-fave-food-here. Sure, starving yourself so that you get so hungry that you lose control is not the answer, but to expect that your body will be in energy deficit to get you all the way down to an ideal weight without ever experiencing a hunger pang is unrealistic. I'm sure there's someone out there who can claim that to be the case, but let's talk reasonable expectations for the rest of us.
    My two cents: It wasn't until I started incorporating Intermittent Fasting into my lifestyle that I started experiencing some hunger. During my first few months of eliminating wheat and refined carbs I definitely had a reduction of hunger that seems to accompany most LC diets. However, I do agree with her that while it's awesome to not experience hunger constantly, experiencing hunger in general is not an evil thing, it's a necessary thing for human development for if we were never hungry we'd never eat and subsequently die. I love not being hungry, or being able to "understand" my hunger, but still I think sometimes people get a wee bit carried away on the "I'm never hungry!" train. I also agree with her that while Jack may not have counted calories (and I never do, either) he most likely did reduce his calories because he wasn't eating highly caloric foods anymore, so he definitely reduced calories despite not counting them.

Read through her blog, she did a whole series where she defends insulin, since insulin seems to get a really bad rap when it comes to weight loss and weight gain. For the record, the author of the blog is a LC to VLC eater, but she likes to keep things "carb sane" hence the name of the blog. She's not advocating people to go out and eat grains, etc, but rather to not simply pin carbs as evil.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Grizz,
    I tracked BGL and it helped me lose 65+ lbs. I bought the Reli-on meter and strips at Walmart. The meter was $9 and 100 strips were $40.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    Ferriss did this experiment in the 4-Hour Body and tried to keep it under 100. Being a nut, he used some type of implanted device that gave readings every 5 seconds or so. He details his observations on what/how to keep blood glucose levels low. Nothing that comes as a surprise to the primal crowd, so I am going to skip the finger prick.

chris q is offline Junior Member
    I'm a data junkie and love tracking. I've thought before about tracking blood glucose but it wasn't until reading 4-Hour Body that I even realized I could. I'd have sworn up and down that you couldn't get glucometers/strips without a prescription.

Adding a glucometer to the list of things to buy.