Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Jen AlcesAlces) page 2

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Several ladies have started a 2011 pull-up challenge, and I joined! I can't do one unassisted... Never could. So, I just bought a doorway pull-up bar on Amazon... This is going to be fun!

Paleobird Guest
    Yes it is going to be fun! Thanks for taking part.

About the backpacking snacks. I don't know if you have time to make it now but pemmican is really good. Mark did a post on it a while back so check the archives. It can be a lot yummier than he makes it sound if you just add some spices. It also keeps for a really long time regardless of temperatures.

Robin

@Paleobird - Thanks for putting together the challenge! No time to make pemmican for this weekend, but I'd like to try it out for my next trip. Thanks for the tip about the spices, as I am wondering about the taste. It seems that the calorie & fat content cannot be beat! Backpacking is the one time that I try to pack in as many calories as possible, and the pemmican bars I see online are so high-cal and high-fat (yay)!

Thanks again!

zsadie is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried the nut butter bars from the PB cookbook yet? Those are absolutely yummy and while I haven't gone hiking yet, I imagine they'd make a great hiking food! The pull-up challenge sounds intriguing! I might have to look into that! I started PB on the 3rd (second try from November) and so far I feel fantastic ( a little sleepy today but I think that's because of my work hours and I don't get enough sleep for myself). I absolutely love dark chocolate! I can't get enough of the stuff it seems, but I've been able to indulge in a few small squares after dinner on occasion and from what I've read dark chocolate 73% plus has excellent antioxidants! I get the dark chocolate from Trader Joe's!

I wish you the bestest success!!
    "Achievement begins with belief."

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson-

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27309.html

Hi zsadie! No, haven't tried the nut butter bars... yet. Thank you for the suggestion; they sound very good and definitely something I'd take hiking. Although eating a bunch of Trader Joe's chocolate sounds good too! Glad to hear that you are doing so well on PB... it's very encouraging to hear that as I'm still having the low-carb flu... I look forward to feeling fantastic too!

Definitely look into the pull-up challenge if you are interested; I'm pretty excited about it! If you are also being snowed on (like we are here), be careful out there!

Didn't go camping due to snow and very cold temps. We just couldn't justify it... and I was so looking forward to getting away. We're going to wait until things start to thaw out. Gives me time to experiment with some of the backpacking food suggested here.

Been sick for a couple of days. Wondering if anyone else feels this crappy after a carb binge. I was not feeling well to begin with, so this hit me pretty hard. Wish I knew what was going on with me.

Saturday, I went to a birthday party and got "into the spirit" by having cake and ice cream. I ate a primal meal before, but afterward, I was feeling so sleepy, dizzy and achy that I didn't have much of an appetite. I ended up eating a few tablespoons of guacamole then went to sleep. Overall, I only had 125g of carbs that day, but I'm thinking that it was having all of the carbs at once that caused the problem. Or maybe it is the wheat in the cake?

Sunday, I was dizzy and tired. Started the day with a good snack (homemade deviled eggs), later had a BAS with cheese, some almonds for a snack. Went for a walk and thought I was better. For dinner, though, my boyfriend wanted to eat the last of the lobster pot pies that he got for his birthday. Thinking I could handle it, I had one too. Yummy but more wheat was probably not a good idea. About 4 hours later, I was in the bathroom. Will leave it at that. Not a good night.

Feeling a little better today - just had a hard boiled egg for breakfast with some leftover veggies in butter. Guess I will stay the course and hope this goes away soon.

Looking forward to another snowstorm.
    Last edited by Jen AlcesAlces; 01-10-2011 at 08:29 AM.

oh please let these cravings go away. I am going through a crave/binge phase - probably due to my carb-fest this past weekend. Well, there is a lesson to learn here. Cake is not worth it.

Today so far:
    B: Small Earl Grey Latte (unsweetened)
    L: Spinach Omelette with Sausage
    S: Dry roasted cashews
    D: probably leftover "Cheesesteak salad". Ribeye, green peppers, onions, mushrooms with a little cheese.. grilled up and served on a salad.

Had cashews, but it seems like I'm still full from lunch (?). Stupid emotional eating. Another poster said that IFing helped that. Will see how I feel tomorrow, maybe that will get me back into PB shape.

Lacking on my exercise lately, as I have been busy at work and my random walks are fewer and shorter. Perhaps some sprinting or Zumba will fix that tonight.
    Last edited by Jen AlcesAlces; 01-12-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Yep, I've been sticking to PB, and the cravings have gone away... except one incident involving chocolate-covered almonds. (covered under the 20% rule, WOO!)

Yesterday's food:
    B: Leftover salad with roast beef slices
    L: Greek yogurt -full fat- with strawberries and a scrambled egg
    S: Small handful of almonds
    D: Leftover beef bourguignonne (sp?) with carrots and mashed cauliflower (kinda chunky, so maybe more like cauliflower rice)

Yesterday's exercise - LHT from PBF.
    *Pushups (incline) are getting better, more controlled.
    *Pullups seem impossible, although I am doing 1-leg assisted like a champ! Negatives very tough... but that is the next step, so I'll keep trying.
    *Planks (hands/feet) ok, but I still shake a lot toward the end.
    *Full Squats - have creaky knees, but overall feel fantastic!
    *Jack-knife Presses - these are fun!
    *Added deadlifts, thanks to the Al Kavadlo motivating video.
    *Went to Zumba class. Was a really tough workout, but instead of hitting a wall, I was able to get through it without stopping. My body feels different; maybe this is what it feels like to burn fat?

Doing great lately... experimenting with primal recipes. The bacon cheddar scones really satisifed an urge for a bready food the other day. I'll try it with berries & some vanilla soon, to see if it will be good for an occasional treat with tea. Mashed cauliflower was fantastic. Going to try nut butter bars next.

Feeling full most of the time lately and have gained 2 pounds (although I believe the weight gain was due to my sugary indulgences a little while back). I've cut out most snacking, as I don't really need it. Instead, I sip tea.

Have done IFs a few times this week, mostly skipping breakfast and not eating lunch until mid-afternoon. I'm still amazed at how different it feels to not have sugar crashes. When I get hungry now, I don't really feel it in my stomach; instead I get a headache. It feels slightly similar to the migraines I got while riding the sugar rollercoaster, but it goes away quickly and doesn't have nausea or the other symptoms. Weird.

Crazy thyroid update: went for my blood tests today, to see if the synthroid needs to be adjusted. Last few days, I've been really warm and anxious - similar to when I was hyperthyroid. Anyway, maybe this means I can lower the synthroid dose... keeping my fingers crossed! (Background: a little over a year ago, I had subacute thyroiditis which causes temporary hyperthyroidism followed by hypothyroidism... supposed to also be temporary, but mine is sticking around.)

The nice lady who works in the cafeteria brought me some pan dulce (sweet mexican bread). It was nice of her, but not sure what to do with it. I'm not really tempted to eat it, but feel wasteful throwing it out.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast