Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Jen AlcesAlces) page 11

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Came across a good post today called Seven reasons why you can't lose weight on beingprimal blog (linked from PrimalToad, thanks!)

Dang it, the truth hurts. I know I fall into several of these traps. Here are some (paraphrased) :
    * Vague goals
    Yep, I want to lose weight. Let's clean that up: I want to lose approximately 20 pounds of fat, I would like to wear shorts and not be self-conscious, and I want to be able to hike uphill with a 30 pound pack without feeling like I will die.

* Thinking it is all about diet & exercise
    My endless diet and exercise tweaking totally ignores the roots of my problems which are hormonal and emotional. The lent challenge attempted to expose that, but what action have I taken since? This man speaks the truth: "Until you are willing to plunge into the depths of your murky inner self and figure out why you do what you do, all the other stuff is meaningless, because it won’t last." My hormonal issues are not exactly addressed here (my thyroid hates me), but that is something I have to face and eventually deal with, just like the emotional and psychological aspects.

* You see you NOT as you are, but as you think you are
    OUCH!

Seriously, read this post if you need a reality check. I'm bookmarking it for times when a slap in the face is required.

Working on my eating philosophy, stealing the idea from Dean at being primal . com.

Here are some ideas:

1. Eat for nutrition, not energy. When I concentrate on eating enough vitamins, minerals and amino acids throughout the day, I naturally follow a paleo/primal way of eating. It does not feel restrictive or difficult. On the contrary, when I focus on calories and carbs, I tend toward more SAD choices. This is a personal quirk.
    2. Prepare for the late-afternoon snacking. I can eat a huge lunch, a late lunch, different macro lunch, and nutrient-dense lunch, but I always always feel a need to snack around 4-5pm. As I am not able to cut this habit as of now, I will prepare to have paleo/primal choices available and ready for this time. HB eggs, PaleoStix, occasional greek yogurt, or almonds.
    3. Trigger foods (paleo). Identify and limit. Strict portion control of foods such as bacon, paleo baked goods, and sweet potatoes, either by only cooking one serving or immediately storing extra portions in tupperware (thanks D!)
    4. Trigger foods (non-paleo). Do not buy these things. If non-paleo food is given to me by others, only eat it if (1) it is time for a treat/cheat; (2) I want to eat it. Foods that fall into this category are: Grandma's enchiladas, homemade non-paleo desserts.

Will keep adding as I come up with more and changing as I change...

Some more ideas:

5. Starbucks. Already half-way there by eliminating the sugars & syrups from my drinks. Now the next step: Only Tall size beverages, no Grandes or Ventis. One per day. I can order a 2nd drink if (1) it is time for treat/cheat; (2) I have the $ available in my starbucks fund.
    6. Wheat and other glutenycrap. Special handling for this food, as it makes me foggy-brained and sick. Already out of my regular diet, but still occasionally makes its way into cheats/treats. If it falls into the guidelines of #4 above, proceed with caution: small portion only. I will not be afraid to eat the toppings off the pizza and throw away the crust. I will not feel bad for eating the burger and tossing the bun. People already suspect that I'm weird, so why not confirm it for them.

PRIMAL CHUNKY MONKEY Attempt #2
    Ingredients:
    1 can coconut milk
    1 scoop natural whey protein (has a slight vanilla flavor, but no sweeteners)
    2 ripe bananas
    1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Method:
    Blended first 3 ingredients until fluffy, then folded in dark chocolate chips. As this is a trigger food for me, I portioned into 4 ramekins, covered, and put in the freezer immediately. After an hour, ate one ramekin.

Grade: B-. Although the flavor was ok, it was just not banana-y enough. Perhaps 3-4 bananas, even riper would help (or maybe caramelized bananas? Hmmm). The dark chocolate was good, but need bigger chunks. Still, much better than last time. I'd have to give attempt #1 a D- (I don't think I posted about that here, oh well). The good news is that I am looking forward to having a second ramekin after dinner tonight, but it still isn't as good as Ben & Jerry's.

ETA: I finally got to see Zombieland last night (primal chunky monkey was my movie treat)... kinda gross, but funny as hell.
    Last edited by Jen AlcesAlces; 06-10-2011 at 02:10 PM.

YAY! My cafeteria got it right today....

That's tilapia, baked with spices, mashed sweet potatoes, and broccoli.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Had a bit of a setback last week, thanks to sleep-deprivation and over-consumption of beer. I hate beer, except New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red... it tastes like a mix of beer, wine, and cherry soda. That description makes it quite clear why it is bad.... cherry soda. Sugar, booze & wheat in one luscious drink. So, now after a weird rash and a thyroid setback, I'm back on the horse. And restating my eating philosophy as it is now:

Jen's Eating Philosophy
    1. Eat for nutrition, not just energy. When I concentrate on eating enough vitamins, minerals and protein throughout the day, I naturally follow a paleo/primal way of eating. It does not feel restrictive or difficult. On the contrary, when I focus on calories and carbs, I tend toward poor choices. This is a personal quirk; deal with it.
    2. Prepare for the late-afternoon snacking. I can eat a huge lunch, a late lunch, different macro lunch, and nutrient-dense lunch, but I always always feel a need to snack around 4-5pm. As I am not able to cut this habit now, I will prepare to have paleo/primal choices available and ready for this time. HB eggs, PaleoStix, occasional greek yogurt, or almonds.
    3. Trigger foods (paleo). Identify and limit. Strict portion control of foods such as bacon, paleo baked goods, and sweet potatoes, either by only cooking one serving or immediately storing extra portions in tupperware (thanks D!)
    4. Trigger foods (non-paleo). Do not buy these things. If non-paleo food is given to me by others, only eat it if (1) it is time for a treat/cheat; (2) I want to eat it; (3) it is worth it. Foods that fall into this category are: Grandma's enchiladas, GOOD non-paleo desserts.
    5. Wheat and other gluteny crap. Special handling for this food, as it makes me foggy-brained and sick. Already out of my regular diet, but still occasionally makes its way into cheats/treats. If it falls into the guidelines of #4 above, proceed with caution: small portion only. I will not be afraid to eat the toppings off the pizza and throw away the crust. I will not feel bad for eating the burger and tossing the bun. People already suspect that I'm weird, so why not confirm it for them.
    6. Starbucks. Already half-way there by eliminating the sugars & syrups from my drinks. Now the next step: Only Tall size beverages, no Grandes or Ventis. One per day. I can order a 2nd drink if (1) it is time for treat/cheat; (2) I have the $ available in my starbucks fund.
    7. Booze. Stick to red wine & vodka/soda. Beer & mike's hard lemonade - consume one bottle/can or less per week. No feeling bad for this... just because someone else wants me to have beer does not mean I should.
    8. Trust No One. Do not leave my nutritional needs to anyone else. If I have dinner with others or at someone else's house, be prepared. If someone offers to pick up food for me, be clear on my needs without guilt.

Hmm, today. Did fairly well, despite feeling like poo. Tomorrow I should get all the blood test results back, hopefully things are ok & this weird skin, throat & joint thing is fluke. Drank a lot of water & some herbal tea today... a little heavy on the dairy, but I'll forgive myself today.
    Lunch: Earl Grey Latte w/out syrup; 1 cup yellow squash sauteed in 1/2 pat butter; 2 eggs over easy cooked in 1/2 pat butter
    Snack: Greek Yogurt w/strawberries; 2 paleostix; 1 packet Emergen-C multi-vitamin
    Dinner: Fried Cauliflower "Rice" w/carrots, mushrooms, onions, peas, chicken, egg; 1/4 tsp sesame oil; 1/2 Tbls olive oil; gluten free soy sauce
    Dessert: About 8 raspberries, drizzle of heavy whipping cream; 1 square 72% dark chocolate
    28P/19C/53F, ~1100 calories
    Last edited by Jen AlcesAlces; 06-20-2011 at 09:06 PM.

Apparently I have some kind of tonsillitis thing going on... looked down my throat in the mirror w/a flashlight... ack! Eating some coconut manna now, hoping it helps. Luckily, the pain isn't as bad as it was yesterday, and the dr said to give it another day or two.

Anyway, I love coconut manna.

My mum has mentioned before that her doctor wants to put her on statins for high cholesterol. Yesterday, she told me her total cholesterol at the last test was 300. She didn't know HDL, LDL, trigs. Also, last time her inflammation markers were supposedly off the charts. So... she just had more blood tests performed this morning, and I asked her to get actual results/numbers so I could investigate and help her come up with a dietary strategy. I will be giving some tough love, but she seems open to it. Convincing her not to eat bread is going to be tough.

2 weird things about being more consistent with PB:

1. My fingernails are growing strong and fast. They used to always chip before I had to trim them, but now they are not breaking and I actually have to file them down. (yay)
    2. My fingers are less bloated and fat. In fact, I've acquired a bad habit of feeling the bones in my pinky finger when I'm nervous... weird huh?

OK back to work.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast