Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I drink some OJ to get more iron? page

hollie is offline Junior Member

Question Should I drink some OJ to get more iron?

Shop Now
    Hey folks,

In my pre-paleo life, I've been struggling with on and off anemia thanks to years of trying to go vegan (I'm overweight by about 40 pounds, and I just don't get enough protein generally to sustain me). I've been working at being paleo the last few days, and it's going well. My first attempt at paleo failed due to some personal issues, but this time is going much better and my husband is trying it with me and loves it (yay!). My primary care physician is also totally on board - she's paleo herself!

Right now the doc has me on liquid iron to supplement, but it was also suggested that I drink a little OJ with my meals to increase the iron absorption. I'm a little concerned about the carb load and the level of sugar with each meal, so I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone else has had experience with this. Should I be concerned about a half cup of OJ with each meal?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    How about eating an actual ORANGE (with the pulp) and not just the juice?

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    or a vegetable high in Vitamin C like brocolli or bok choy

tarek is offline Senior Member
    A cup of orange juice will provide around 25 grams of carbohydrate. Whether or not that's acceptable is totally up to you. Most commercial orange juices are pasteurized and heavily processed, but if you can find truly fresh-squeezed orange juice, I'd say go for it. Also, as dragonmamma said, it might be more beneficial to just eat a whole orange.

hollie is offline Junior Member
    Yeah, we have some yummy little satsumas, I could just eat one of those with each meal. Oh, and the juice is Odwalla fresh-squeezed (or so it says), and it's pretty tasty and doesn't have that processed feel. I also made sure to get something NOT inundated with calcium, since calciums inhibits iron absorption.

Kasey is offline Member
    It would have been nice if your doctor told you that it's the vitamin C in particular that assists with iron absorption. Since all orange juice is pasteurized which destroys the vitamin C, they must add ascorbic acid back to the juice as a lame attempt to make up for the real vitamin C lost.

So you might as well just take a supplement cause that's what your doing anyways with the OJ, but this way you don't get all the sugar with it. I'd go for a whole food form of vitamin C like Camu Camu berry powder. Or just eat some raw leafy greens with your meals.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Or, you could juice the oranges yourself if you really want to have orange juice.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    25g's of carbs in a glass of OJ is roughly 25% of reccomended low end weight loss carb intake. I would say you would be better off go with a few broccoli florets, califlower, brussel sprouts, berries or cantalope to get the vitamin C.

Just be sure to avoid high quantities of oxalic acid (spinach and most nuts/seeds), phosphates (dairy, egg whites) and sodas when you take the iron.

Additional dietary Phylates will also reduce iron absorbtion but if you are paleo, the biggest source, beans, are not in your diet anyway.

Finally, tannins in black tea and coffee will also limit iron absorbtion.

How about just eating some liver?

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Satsumas I believe are the same as clementines which have a lower carb count from what I remember than regular oranges. When I used to eat fruit, clementices were my fruit of choice. Anything with Vitamin C is what you want to help your body with iron absorption and orange juice is the number 1 pick of doctors. I would say a clementine would do the the trick. Since your doc is paleo as well, ask them about that. Good for your doc!

profdjj is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    There are some liquid iron supplements that have the necessary Vit C already built in. I love love love Floradix. I struggle on/off with anemia too.

http://www.floradix.net/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast