Thread: Easing back into Primal Fitness page

maba is offline Senior Member

Easing back into Primal Fitness

Shop Now
    I was incorporating some forms of Primal Fitness into my routine until I got pregnant. I still tried to lift heavy when I could and tried walking long distance when I had the opportunity. But after having the baby, both my diet and fitness have taken a back seat. Now that the baby is 3 months old, I no longer want to use newborn as an excuse and want to get back into the Primal lifestyle. What can I do to ease back into doing primal forms of exercises? It's extremely cold and snows often where I live, so walking outdoors is not an option. Also my left wrist has been hurting for the last 2 months (most likely from improper usage, twisting and such) and I'm not sure if lifting light weights at home is an option until I get the problem taken care of. What exercise do you recommend?

P.S.: I have P90X at home.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    I introduced my girls to a simple work out they can do at home (with the exception of pull-ups).

roll-ups (do as many as you can in one minute)
    push-ups (yesterday, I challenged them to try a second set after they'd rested a bit)
    pull-ups (don't have a pull-up bar but I enrolled them at my gym)
    kangaroo jumps (again, I challenged them to do a second set!)
    flies (where you're on your belly and then lift the top and bottom half of your body off the floor; superman style)

the push-ups might not do if you've got a wrist injury, however.

Blessings on your new addition!

maba is offline Senior Member
    Thanks it1958 for your suggestions!

jguyc is offline Member
    PB fitness E-book has a starting point for everyone. It is really a great full body workout that doesnt take much time to do!

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    I second jguyc's recommendation of the PBF ebook. Bodyweight's a great way to keep from doing too much damage to joints, however you still need to pay attention of course! You might even want to start at the bottom of the progression ladder for the push-up, overhead press, and plank, since these involve having your wrist at a 90-degree angle and bearing weight. When you hit a point in the progression where your wrist hurts, don't advance beyond that exercise even if you can do the requisite number of reps. Stop when the wrist starts hurting, or just a little after -- a little twinge is ok, but you shouldn't push through it to acute pain. If your case is like mine you'll soon strengthen your wrist to the point that it doesn't hurt doing the exercises anymore and at that point you can progress!

I also want to say congratulations on the newborn, and I wish you the best of results in your endeavor.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Doesn't px90 include resistance bands? By holding the straps on your forearms you could take your wrists out of the equation. You could sub pushups for resistance band flies, and I'm sure you can do some form of bicep curl aswell with a little imagination. For legs and lower back you can do squat variations and lunges. Rear deltoid flyes and front deltoid raises could work shoulders and possibly upper back (again with resistance bands)

There are tons of great instructional videos on youtube. If px90 doesnt include resistance bands, then it is probably gonna be hard to train the upper body (maybe with a partner offering resistance)