Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any one have tips on recovering from general ansethesia? page

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member

Any one have tips on recovering from general ansethesia?

Primal Fuel
    I had my sterilization procedure re-done yesterday under general anesthesia - since it didn't take the first time around... the first time I wasn't primal... this time I am - and it seems to be harder for me to recover. I IF'd for the procedure - and my first meal was an egg and cheese omelet - The weird thing is the laproscopy recovery is more painful than my C-section recovery! I'm up walking and sitting (While working from home today) and I plan to take a bit of a nap later...

does anyone have any tips that will help me get back on my feet quicker. This am I had a smaller bkfst of a 1egg & cheese omelet, and a chicken bkfst sausage and of course coffee w/coconut creamer! I plan on having a good primal lunch - don't know what yet - but it will be something good since I'm here at home!

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Drink loads of water is the only thing I did... under the assumption that it would "flush out" all the stuff from my system. I don't know if that's true or not, but between that and sleeping it off, it seemed to wear off after about a day. I'd imagine that eating good fat would help, too.

I don't envy you I hope you didn't get those annoying itchies that don't go away no matter what Those were the worst part for me.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Is your Vitamin D sufficient?

Also arnica (homeopathic 30c) tablets are really helpful for recovery.

redtoycar is offline Member
    Many anesthetics are lipid-soluble, so eating a higher fat diet may have something to do with metabolizing them, but I'm not sure exactly how.

Are you recovering from anesthesia (feeling drunk/loopy/sleepy) or the procedure itself (sore, painful, stiff)? Either way, lots of veggies and R&R should help. Get well soon!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Laproscopies are horrendous, you have my sympathies.
    I would say protein and fat to help you heal. Keep it simple, maybe nothing spicy. Water. Sleep. Take things easy. Hope you feel better soon

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I had general anesthesia for both of my cataract surgeries and other than wanting to eat lightly and nap (I just listened to my body), I didn't do anything different.

Both times I woke up feeling fine, but my eye doctor/surgeon warned me that I'd be tired and not to plan to do anything for the rest of the day. I wasn't hungry for hours, but I began to feel tired early that afternoon (surgery was early morning), and slept well for several hours. Like you, I ate an omelet and had hot tea when I woke. Later I had some soup. I'm normally a great meat eater, but I just didn't want anything 'heavy' the rest of the day.

The next day, I was 'myself' fully, along with appetite and energy. The anesthesias used these days have many fewer 'side effects' than years ago.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone! I've got arnica tablet as well as an arnica based cream that' I've been rubbing over the entire area. I'm definitely getting my fat/protein on! : ) I'm tired that's for sure - but that' s probably from being up from 2-5am w/my 2yo who was having nightmares about monsters (no idea where she got that) and she wouldn't go to sleep. I'm going to lie down for a while for a nap - then get back to work. I've also been alternating w/hot and cold packs. Its taking longer to recover from the anesthesia this time around, and I'm also sore from the procedure itself... I definitely have some inflammation from the procedure (laproscopy - they fill your abdomen w/ air to actually provide room to do the procedure) so I'm sure once the inflammation goes down I'll be feeling better

slacker is offline Senior Member
    I would say lots of liquids and vitamin C. That Emergen-C with electrolytes is really good. I would go at a little good healthy fruit. Carbs are not always evil. Have a couple of good organic oranges or some slices of fresh pineapple. There are lots of things good for healing in those. Anything that helps detox the liver will be good. Milk thistle caps if you have them.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Are you taking arnica pellets internally, too? That can be so helpful!

Proteolytic systemic enzymes (like Wobenzyme or something equivalent) taken on an empty stomach several times/day are good for healing, reducing inflammation and preventing excessive scar tissue: http://www.modernherbalist.com/wobenz.html#SURGERY

Seacure, a fermented whitefish protein capsule, is also great for post-surgery healing (and great for the gut lining):
    http://www.iherb.com/Proper-Nutritio...ules/4950?at=0

Paleobird Guest
    I saw your post title and cringed. Been there done that and worn out several tee shirts. GA sucks. No two ways around it.

Only advice I have. Drink as much water as you can, even if you don't feel thirsty, push some more through anyway. Flush it out.

I wish you well.

Robin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast