Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghee page

swathorne is offline Junior Member

Ghee

Shop Now
    Anyone cook with ghee? I picked some up and have been using it for pan frying. Wegmans seems to have stopped carrying coconut oil in their international section so I went with it as an alternative as it has been repped pretty hard over at PaNu. Not sure if it suits my taste. The smell repulses me for some reason....I can't really explain it lol.

Has anyone else found coconut oil at any brick and mortar chain gorceries? I haven't checked Whole Foods but I try to stay away from there as a rule because the prices are ridiculous and Wegmans supplies many of the same things at fair rate.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    We order our Nutiva from amazon and get a much better deal than any stores will have. I think a lot of people order from Tropical Traditions also.

Our local grocery stores, Kroger and Publix, do carry coconut oil, usually in what we call the "natural foods" section. Vitamin stores are also starting to carry it as well.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I thought it might be blasphemy to admit it here, but I don't like ghee either. I bought some from the place that offered up some prize in Mark's last 30-day primal challenge and, well, I just don't like it. Has a funny smell/taste.

I get coconut oil at Whole Foods, but then I prefer to shop there for most things.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I finally made some Ghee after encouragement from one of my customers at work (from India) who said it was super easy. It was great for stir-fry! I made it from grass-fed butter. The smell isn't that bad.. its just conscentrated buttery. Whole Foods 365 brand carries a 14 oz jar of coconut oil for 6.99. At conventional stores, if you find it extra cheap, sometimes its highly-refined stuff. What sort was yours? My area doesn't have a Wegmans. Do they have grass-fed meats?

Little Saiyan

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Swathorne, your wegmans probably has its coconut oil in the health/natural section, near the alternative flours. At least, that's where the several wegmans around me shelve theirs.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I buy the 365 brand coconut oil...some of the brands they carry had a similar "weird" smell/taste as ghee...particularly the Now! Foods brand of coconut oil. blech, I was glad when that container was empty!
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    When I first bought ghee, I also found the smell and taste unpleasant - I wouldn't have thought something could be *too* buttery, but somehow it managed it. I used tiny bits where I wouldn't taste it. Then I discovered ghee-scrambled eggs - revelation! And somehow I wound up using it for more things... and somehow now when I use it I lick the spoon. Tastes change. (Mine have been changing at a rate of knots.)

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Funny this post popped up today. I bought some ghee yesterday to try, if I had not read this first the smell probably would have really taken me aback.

I must say, ghee smells like......hrmmm....farmy. That's the best I can describe it. Its not really gamey per say, but it has a distinct smell.

I used a bit to reheat some sauteed cabbage. While the smell by itself in the pan was strong, it did not change the flavor of my dish at all. Think I will test it on a few things, see how it goes.

maba is offline Senior Member
    I personally love the smell and flavor of ghee, but then I've never buy it from the store - I make it at home from grass-fed butter. If you'd like to make it flavored, while clarifying the butter, you can add spice of your choice. I usually add a cardamom or two.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I love butter, but not so keen on ghee. Will try making some at home though.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast