Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please judge this chicken source page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

Please judge this chicken source

Primal Fuel
    Whole9 got me to thinking about food sources.

Because of my location, I have access to Miller Amish Chicken. I know the word "Amish" pretty much means nothing. I don't have money to buy pastured poultry. Following is some info from their website:

Pine Manor/Miller Poultry strictly adheres to the humane treatment policies defined by the Whole Foods animal welfare spokesperson, Temple Grandin. Furthermore, we do not use the practice of de-beaking and we use both male and female chickens in our program. We take animal husbandry very seriously and go to great lengths to handle our animals in a humane manner throughout their life cycle.

More:

To All Valued Customers:

Our chickens are hatched, grown and processed in Northern Indiana, Southern Michigan area. Our locally home-grown chickens are fed a corn and soy-based diet with no antibiotics, no artificial ingredients or coloring, no hormones, which is produced at our own feed mill in New Paris, Indiana. Our farms are in a smaller regional area, located within miles of our processing plant, so our carbon footprint is minimized.

What we process today is often at your store tomorrow. Our goal is to provide the freshest and healthiest chicken available to you.

Miller Poultry chickens are raised primarily by Amish families in smaller flocks. While they are free to roam within the chicken house, they are not "free-range" for several reasons. Free-range chickens are often found outdoors, where they are challenged by weather, disease and the risk of airborne contaminates. Baby chickens need to be warm and dry during the first two weeks of their life and could not survive the elements. Also older chickens would be under extreme stress in temperatures colder or warmer than ideal with our midwestern weather, which could lead to extreme stress or even cause death. Miller chickens are raised in a stress-free environment where they have access to fresh water and feed with natural light and ventilation and are free to roam within the chicken house on open floors. The chickens are cared for by peace loving Amish families.

I know the corn/soy feed isn't great and they're not able to eat bugs. But, organic chicken is also fed this and not pastured. When this is on sale at our local market, it's very affordable so I stock up. Does this seem okay given the circumstances?

TIA!

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to say yes even though I am far from an expert. I believe I heard that birds were adapted to eating grains, not mammals. So there.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Ditto what kcult said. Corn and soy is horrible feed for CATTLE, but not for poultry.

Sounds like a good source to me.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    the only downside is that there is sometimes antibiotics in the feed, and i've found that local farmers here are not always aware (as in they haven't even checked the bag). the other downside is that it's almost certain those grains are gmo. but, if that's what you can afford, it's better than the alternative! (btw, i'm in the same boat)

As some one who actually owns chickens, I'm going to pretend I didn't read that last paragraph there and just say "go for it!".
    And don't assume that just because they're tucked away "safely" indoors that they have no access to bugs. My chicken coop typically houses the odd spider or grasshopper...not for very long mind you.

If they're milling their own grain, I imagine they know exactly what is going into the feed so antibiotic would be low on my list of concerns. Just for future reference though, baby chicks can be fed their first grain meal with an antibiotic feed (to prevent cocci) and as long as they're exposed to no more antibiotics, they're considered anti-biotic free.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    CAFO chicken beats a pasta dinner any day. If thats what you can afford, go for it. Edited to say: the chickens you are looking at seem a significant step above CAFOs.
    Most soy in the us that isn't labeled organic is GMO. Same with corn. Especially in animal feed.
    Chickens are not grain eaters naturally. They are omnivores, like us. Chickens like worms and meat, too). My chickens (laying hens), eat like people. If there's bread around, they'll fight over it and eat that first. If there isn't, they search out the protein. Bugs, lizards, snakes, even mice my cats have caught. Yes, the chickens will steal it from them.
    If you have a backyard, you could raise laying hens and have a free source of eggs. Coops can sometimes be had for cheap or free on craigslist or freecycle. You could also raise meat chickens if you have the stomach for butchering (I don't think I do). Check out backyardchickens.com. Its a great resource for people with just a few chickens, or wondering how to start.
    Last edited by fitmom; 12-30-2010 at 11:05 AM.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by angorarabbit View Post
    If they're milling their own grain, I imagine they know exactly what is going into the feed so antibiotic would be low on my list of concerns.
    oops, apparently i skimmed over that part. gmo concern still stands. most local farmers i've talked to say their grains are non-gmo, but after some digging it turns out they have no clue what gmo really is.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, but we're talking about the Amish here. They probably get new dirt-sifters on their birthdays so they can strain out seeds from the previous year's crops, which date back to their great-great-great-great-grand-daddies.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    I think these are about as good as chickens can get today (at least in the US). You can increase the nutrient value by cooking and consuming the whole chicken, organs and all; and using the bones for broth.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Nice excuse for not allowing their animals fresh air and sunlight. Saying that their probably better than most super market poultry.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast