Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do about your doctor and cholesterol? page

Paleo Bill is offline Junior Member

What to do about your doctor and cholesterol?

Shop Now
    I have a great doctor in all aspects except one. He buys into the Cholesterol - Lipid Hypothesis completely. Even when my total cholesterol was just 215 he want to write a prescription for a statin. But I talked him into letting me try for 90 days to get it under control. Which I did and now he is happy.

That was 3 years ago. Now every year I need to see him for my annual visit to get my prescriptions renewed (for blood pressure medication). I know he is going to check my cholesterol. Starting about 6 weeks before my annual visit I switch to a low fat diet and go so far as to take CholestOff and Red Rice Yeast (basically an over the counter form of a statin), just to make sure my numbers are where he wants them. What do the rest of you do?

Also it appears that I will be buying my own health insurance. So I need to play this game just so I don't get higher rates because I don't meet a number that was basically pulled out of thin air.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    i found a doctor who isn't blinded by drug companies and is willing to listen to logic. Sounds like you need a new doctor.

Lojasmo is offline Senior Member
    My doctor is happy because my cholesterol and blood pressure have improved. I will not take statins, so that's that. A doctor cannot make you do anything.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    If you're not going to take the advice of the doctor if the numbers are high, then refuse the test in the first place. That way if it goes high, you don't have to disclose diagnosed high cholesterol on health risk forms.

If you want to know the numbers for your own benefit, pay for the test out of pocket and order it through one of the no-doctor-needed labs online.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I just say "no thank you" to the statins. Do you know that your cholesterol is elevated without your six weeks of low fat? How are your triglycerides? You could ask for the VAP testing to convince him of your heart risk.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Print out the Cholesterol Primer and give it to him? There's nothing you can do about the insurers; they've bought this nonsense hook, line and sinker (and are probably selling it at a profit). But you have the right to tell him no, you know. Doctors are not God.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Paleo Bill is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I just say "no thank you" to the statins. Do you know that your cholesterol is elevated without your six weeks of low fat? How are your triglycerides? You could ask for the VAP testing to convince him of your heart risk.
    Triglycerides about 80. Yes, my cholesterol was elevated at 215 before my 6 weeks of low fat and the two over the counter cholesterol meds. I know 215 isn't much but to doctors it is the end of the world.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    My doctor was very cool about it. My total cholesterol and LDL were high. He ordered an NMR at my request which the results showed I had the good LDL. He said, "You were right!" He was not familiar with my diet, and took careful notes about what I am eating. He said that cholesterol is just one of several risk factors related to cardiovascular disease, and that he was not too concerned since I am very lean, exercise regularly and have good pulse and blood pressure.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I am not clear on understanding why, if one is otherwise healthy, it is necessary to see a doctor every year. I am finding the check-ups to be perfunctory at best and really just an opportunity to write scrips. Yes, my blood pressure is high but this is because I am fat. I was about to be put on a 3rd pill because the 1st 2 had no effect and I decided it was crazy to treat a symptom w/o treating the underlying cause. I have never been counseled about the weight (not that I expect good advice anyway) Primal has already moved the needle down after just 2 months. I expect supplementation and further weight loss to take me the rest of the way.

I see an opthamologist yearly. Glaucoma in the family and I'm pretty myopic to begin with. I see a dermatologist every couple of years. Fair skin w/ severe childhood sunburns. I plan on a colonoscopy when I hit 50. Other than that I'm all set w/ conventional GP's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast