Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why does Robb Wolf's salad have no oil or fat? page

janagram is offline Senior Member

why does Robb Wolf's salad have no oil or fat?

Shop Now
    I bought Robb Wolf's book, but it didn't resemble my concept of paleo...the salads have only lemon juice for dressing, and he fries everything in evoo....? Can evoo really stand up to the heat? And, well, he's kinda just.....low fat!!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Could be he doesn't like fatty dressings? I'm personally not crazy about the idea of oily vegetables which is why I almost NEVER eat cold salads (but do eat hot veggies almost daily) does he have avocado and nuts in the salads? those are sources of fat, bacon bits, meat in general?

I haven't cooked with evoo in months and months, but when I first started PB I used it almost exclusively and it seemed to do ok in heat. I switched to coconut oil, eventually I need to get some lard from a good grass fed source though. I'm very happy using CO for now. Edit: My coconut oil is Spectrum "refined" and doesn't taste like coconut to me at all, this is key because when I was getting the extra virgin variety it was harder to reconcile myself with the idea of eating things that tasted of coconut too much. It's possible Robb has a similar dilemma. I recommend that Spectrum brand to anybody that wants to use coconut oil but doesn't like the coconut taste. You can find them at A&P if you don't feel like going to Whole Foods. I also have a tub of "White Manna" coconut butter/oil but that one I use only for mashed sweet potatoes because it contains more pure coconut which leaves odd residues when it dries. I learned the hard way by using it in coffee, yuck.

Also, let's not forget that Robb Wolf, while a knowledgeable person in the Paleo world, he's also just a man with certain tastes, and those will translate to his book and recipes. I wouldn't go an advice anyone to eat something in a style I'm not used to eating it, he's probably thinking the same. That being said, a lot of these authors that are in the new spotlight on Paleo are cautious about what they say so they don't turn people away, especially newcomers which is where the money is (book sales, etc) not everybody is ready to revert to eating high fat, or start at it for that matter.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 12-29-2010 at 12:16 PM.

thanks. I was super surprised cuz most of the paleos eat quite a bit of fat. thanks for the tip on coconut oil.

hazmat is offline Senior Member
    People who preach the paleo way of life still think that saturated fat is bad for you.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmat View Post
    People who preach the paleo way of life still think that saturated fat is bad for you.
    Given his oft declared love of heavy cream in espresso, I don't think sat fats are the issue with Robb.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Robb has always said that the things he says in his book are not meant to be statements set in stone. He has retracted a few things here and there as new information is discovered. You have to remember his mentor was Loren Courdain who is considered one of the father's of the paleo diet. (he has been writing about Paleo way before Mark has and he has conducted many of his own testing) Courdain is the one who really pushes lean meats as opposed to the fattier cuts. I listen to Robb Wolf's weekly podcast The Paleo Solution and I know for a fact he uses coconut oil. He talks about the coconut oil he gets from Tropical Traditions on a few occassions. I also know that when he cooks it is mostly very low heat. So when he uses EVOO it is always medium and lower from what I understand. Which is the correct way to be using EVOO. The only thing I know Robb Wolf doesn't use to cook is butter since it has some traces of dairy which can cause inflammation.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

hmm, so that's it. I cook my eggs in butter, so I wondered why he doesn't. It holds up better than evoo, ..but its all good.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Paleo is a lot lower in fat than Primal is. I believe that was one of the key/few distinctions between the two. On this side of the street, we lard it up!@
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
    Paleo is a lot lower in fat than Primal is. I believe that was one of the key/few distinctions between the two. On this side of the street, we lard it up!@
    I would have to disagree. I think primal is a facet of paleo, and they are basically the same thing. Cordains paleo is different from kurt harris's is different from robb wolfs and so on and so forth. Dairy could be one arguable distinction, but even there there are lacto paleos and primals who avoid dairy. I consider my diet paleo (with dairy) and I am about 70 percent fat. But, it is also primal. I really don't think there is a difference

thenicole is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've cooked meat/veggies/everything in EVOO for years. It stands up, you just might have to cook things a little longer, at a slightly lower heat.

I don't go for charred, I go for cooked.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast