Thread: Hemorrhoid Causes and Treatments?? page

FairyRae is offline Senior Member

Hemorrhoid Causes and Treatments??

Primal Fuel
    My cousin is turning 17 this weekend. She recently told me she has a hemorrhoid (possibly more than one) and she's not sure why. She does not strain to go to the bathroom, eats a lot of vegetables, etc...She does not eat a primal diet (but has the mda link and is totally interested--yay!). I think she had an issue with her digestive system a few years ago (a tear in her colon or something--some kind of bleeding inside--I really don't know or recall the details!)

She was wondering what might cause hemorrhoids in someone so young, and what are things she can do about it? I'm googling stuff (alternative treatments, etc) now for her, but would love any expert advice from all you primals if you've got any knowledge about this. Also, are they linked to any sorts of nutrient deficiencies, etc? She ordering some supps soon (I've shared the basic recs here--a good multi, vit D, fish oil, mag, etc...) so I'm sure would be open to trying anything that might help.

TIA for any info you can share!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    The mag by mouth is instant diarrhea for some people, so she needs to know that. If she is one, transdermal magnesium chloride ("magnesium oil") can get around it.

I send anyone with such issues to gutsense.org. And if she's on some kind of fiber, like metamucil, she'd be better off without it, IMO.

Another excellent book is "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall. This has helped multitudes of people with extreme diseases like Crohns, Ulcerative Colitis, and IBS. Fixed 50 years of hay fever for me two years ago.

Thanks PDL. I'm excited to check out gutsense! She's not had a diagnosis of some specific digestive disorder that I'm aware of or taking any kind of supps atm--but I need to talk to her more about it. I have multiple SCD/GAPS related books she could borrow if she's interested...thanks for pointing me in that direction.

And thanks for the reminder about mag by mouth. I can do mag citrate at no more than 100 mg at a time (taken throughout the day I can get up to 400-500mg with no problem*) but any more at once is a no-go for me...

*Edited b/c I got my #s wrong
    Last edited by FairyRae; 12-29-2010 at 04:20 PM.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

Grizz is offline Banned
    She needs to get off of grains & sugars ASAP. Her problems are caused by unhealthy stools which result from the CW diet.

Show her this link on stool analysis:
    http://www.gillianmckeith.info/yourb...ispoochart.php
    Also here:
    http://www.gutsense.org/

Since going primal, Mrs Grizz & I now have picture perfect stools, and I have noticed more & more frequently that toilet paper is not even needed. An event that I call "Ghost Poo." Prior to going Primal, my poo was HORRIBLE, and required a LOT of toilet paper. Just simply disgusting. And of course wiping with all that toilet paper irritated the hemorrhoids with resulting flare ups.

Best of health to all,
    Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-29-2010 at 12:00 PM.

LOL on the 'ghost poo'--I totally know what you're talking about.

She's *planning* to go primal so we'll see what happens! Thanks Grizz!
    Last edited by FairyRae; 12-29-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    My Before/After Pics

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    OK. Is she using those wipes instead of regular dry toilet paper?

I had one hemorrhoid exactly once in my life (at the age of 40), after I began using wipes (my fave was the cucumber water one....). Once I went back to TP, it went away on its own. Wow, they are uncomfortable, and all the time too.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

spughy is offline Senior Member
    I got hemmorhoids when I was about that age - it was because I started taking a multivitamin that had iron in it. Supplemental iron will do it every time! She could also be not drinking enough water, or reacting to something in her diet, or walking too far wearing thong underwear (I am NOT joking about that!!!).

Is it internal or external?

I believe external spughy, but I really don't know all the details.

I need to send her the link to this thread so she can look into the responses. Weird on the wipes TigerLily! WAY weird! I'll pass that info to my mom and sis as well as I know they both use wipes. (Not sure if they are dealing with this kind of thing though.)

Thanks for the replies, if anyone has other thoughts please share!!
    My Before/After Pics