Thread: Fasting again! page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Fasting again!

Primal Fuel
    Have just had a coffee with some coconut milk, but other than than I'll be fasting today and planning to continue until NYE, to make up for some festive belt-loostening!

I haven't had grains/gluten, but more sugar, cheap chocolate, and overall more food than I need!

It feels pretty good to have come on here and commited to it actually. I have done something to my groin so my plans of having a fortnight of uber squats training have not been possible. I am, genuinley, gutted!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and enjoyed every moment!

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    48 hours ? Sounds tough, especially if you actually have food available... Oh well, good luck I guess ^^

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Extremes like this--excessive fasting to "make up" for overindulgence--seems like the road to an eating disorder to me.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Extremes like this--excessive fasting to "make up" for overindulgence--seems like the road to an eating disorder to me.
    I agree. Which begs the question: where's the line between eating disorder and fasting? Is it the motivation, the length of time...?
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    I agree. Which begs the question: where's the line between eating disorder and fasting? Is it the motivation, the length of time...?
    Definitely both. I don't really see anything too odd with what chronyx wants to do, as far as I remembered the poster understands fasting. I like the discipline it takes to not eat that long, and knowing that historically people have gone without food longer (David Blaine went 44 days in a glass box suspended over NYC -- though there could have been trickery I guess but the point remains) so I'm not as afraid or bothered by long term fasting. Many people on this board fast for 30+ continuous hours weekly and think nothing of it.

Personally I'd rather just resume a sensible eating schedule than just not eat for a long time. I extend my fasts by 5-6 hours sometimes, maybe once a week and usually by chance, but if I've been pigging out I don't automatically think of just not eating for a while because it could create that negative feedback loop. I think the body is probably better off with slightly longer fasts but still getting some nutrients at least every 24-36 hours, but admittedly that's a belief I hold from the repeated notion that one must eat or else one will fade away.

Edit: I remember some posts from Johnny at Lean Saloon where he had about 3-4 days of extended Warrior Diet style fasting (he ate once a day around 5-6pm, a decent but not huuuge meal) following a cruise in which he purposely wanted to just eat everything in sight and not practice moderation, or rather not turning food down because it wasn't in his eating window. He had breakfast, snacks, lunch, dinner etc, and while the food he listed didn't sound way off limits, some stuff is for those that are stricter around here. He noticed weight gain obviously, but he said in just 3-5 days he went back to the body fat level he's used to which is pretty dang lean. This is post one in a series of three: http://theleansaloon.com/2010/08/02/...loric-deficit/

I tried to Warrior Diet during the third week of my whole30 but it wasn't for me. I didn't give it enough time (only 2 days of warrior diet) perhaps, but I felt as though I didn't want to couple under-eating with regular workout schedule. I like to exercise, and I do think you have to have a trade-off when you enter a bigger caloric deficit, where if you're eating less, you should modify your workouts to be less intense (or less dependent on certain food groups such as starchy carbs) and at the time I didn't want to make that adjustment in my workouts so I resumed my regular 16hr fast with 2 meals a day and perhaps a snack. I enjoy that style of eating way more, I feel full of energy and I didn't while Warrior dieting, the "light" feeling was there, but I also got kind of dizzy twice from getting up and I couldn't attribute that to anything other than lack of food. To this day I haven't gone more than 30 hours fasting. I want to tackle that soon, just to see how it goes.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 12-29-2010 at 05:54 AM.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Personally I'd rather just resume a sensible eating schedule than just not eat for a long time. I extend my fasts by 5-6 hours sometimes, maybe once a week and usually by chance, but if I've been pigging out I don't automatically think of just not eating for a while because it could create that negative feedback loop. I think the body is probably better off with slightly longer fasts but still getting some nutrients at least every 24-36 hours, but admittedly that's a belief I hold from the repeated notion that one must eat or else one will fade away.
    I tend to do this after I go food crazy, I have found that just getting into my regular eating/workout style works better for me than trying to fast it away; I tend to give in again if I fast versus eating how I normally do. I also agree that adding an extra few hours here or there to your fasting is a good idea when trying to battle back the inevitable holiday weight gains.

All that being said, everyone is different. Good luck Chronyx *thumbs up*
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    that's a pretty long fast...good luck, and i hope the return to food doesn't disrupt your new years activities (eating after 35-40 hour fasts used to make me feel strange, and occasionally end up in the bathroom for a while).
    i don't necessarily thing a long fast after an eating binge is a bad idea, as long as you're not punishing yourself. in the grok sense of fasting, it's about the lean times when there was no food versus the occasional abundance of food.
    plus, a longer fast after a lot of crappy food can work as a sort of reset button.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Yes on the reset button and also on ridding your body of undesirable foods. When I used to get stoned and eat entire large bags of chips I would have an extended fast the following day because physically I felt I needed to and because I also wasn't hungry. It honestly wasn't punishment mentally at all but rather a desire to have a clean slate. It turned into a habit though for a while but I eventually got it under control and even though I still smoke I no longer eat garbage. Fasting also dent really help maintain any type of lean ness so I had to scratch the potato chip diet I was so eager to popularize.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the common sense replies. Eating disorder?! I'm a no-nonsense bloke, it's simply a very effective, means to an end. I like to challenge myself once in a while, mentally or physically.

I was If-ing daily, but dropped the habit. I'd like to use this to kick-start myself back into it.