Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep It Simple Silly...Go Caveman! page

IntrinsicArt is offline Senior Member

Keep It Simple Silly...Go Caveman!

Primal Fuel
    I posted this in the "Meet and Greet" forum. After reading and browsing, I've decided to start a journal
    Here it goes:
    I am jumping in with both feet.

I was always fit in high school. Even without a workout schedule or doing sports. I walked to and from school and work. I played. I ate low grain and didn't even realize it.
    College. Eating meat was expensive. Carbs and sugar were yummy and readily available. I gained weight. Lost a little of it. Got married. Got pregnant. Lost a little bit of the college and baby weight. Got pregnant again. After my second baby, I am sure I topped out at 185 on my 5 ft. 5 in. medium frame.
    We bought a house that needed a TON of work. I lost a few pounds. Then nothing. I started reading and learning about nutrition (conventional nutrition). I counted calories. Cut sugar and some refined carbs. I found Turbo Jam and started working out 5-6 days a week for at LEAST 45 minutes. In a little under a year, I lost about 35 lbs. At my lowest, I weighed about 145 lbs.
    Then I went back to work. I kept it off for the first year. Then with the stress of teaching kindergarten, I gained about 10 lbs. back. Sugar was always in the workroom, and I ALWAYS found it.
    The next year, I taught a different age group. Lost about 5 lbs. and That is where I have been stuck for the past 2 1/2 years. I still worked out. I even worked out harder. More strength training. More cardio. Counting calories more. Nothing.
    I kept telling myself that I just wasn't working hard enough. I cheated to many times with sugar from the staff workroom. This is where I am meant to be. Bull. I should be 20 lbs. lighter. Then, I tell myself I will settle for 145 again. But I can't get there.

On the weekend of Oct. 20th, I overheard a conversation about coconut oil. I thought, "good grief...what crazy fad diet is out there now". I Googled it and found some very enlightening information about coconut oils and fat in our diets. I had some under the sink that I had been using for moisturizing. I started adding a little to my diet every day. I cut sugar completely (but not grains). I lost a pound or two.

And then, while I was digging around, I found a post about Robb Wolf. Then Mark's Daily Apple. I have been a reading fool since. I have cut out grains, legumes, and sugars in the past two weeks. I share information with my husband here and there. He's willing to give it a try, even though he hacks on my here and there. "What, no noodles with our spaghetti?" Nope. Sorry. They are a grain, they don't grown on a noodle tree!!

I felt great the first week. A few mornings with a nauseous tummy. A few dizzy moments. Overall though, really good.
    Then we got sick this week. It was hard not to go for the toast. But, I made it through. Two weeks, full paleo (but I still eat dairy).
    I've lost about 4 lbs. It was a little lower while I was sick, but I think that was dehydration.

The funny things is, I had checked amazon.com once for a book that was more "natural" or "back to basic" for nutrition. I wanted something simpler. I didn't find anything about Paleo. All good things come to those who wait. I have found loads of information now that I know what I am looking for.

I'm excited to see where this goes. Thank you to the person I overheard discussing coconut oil. Who knew?!!

Here's to being a Primal Human

Rhoda

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Rhoda and welcome,
    Have you tried coconut flour yet? You can make some really yummy breads and muffins and such that could help keep your husband on the bandwagon with you. There was even an MDA post about a pizza crust recipe made with almond flour. I haven't tried that one yet. There are lots of alternatives to grains to keep the transition from being too arduous.

Robin

JAYTEEWHY is offline Senior Member
    welcome , glad to have you
    "Misfortune
    can force you into doing things you should be doing anyway. Lessons
    come from adversity. Anything can happen to anyone... You can find a
    new lease on life - more meaning than you thought possible in simple
    things... Let go. Live in the moment. Go forward". Christopher Reeve

Thanks for the welcome

Have you tried coconut flour yet? You can make some really yummy breads and muffins and such that could help keep your husband on the bandwagon with you.
    I haven't found any coconut flour locally yet. I did find some fine organic shredded coconut, and just put it in the processor to grind it up more. I have done some gluten free pancakes for them once or twice (we were a Sunday Waffles family). I tried the Paleo pancakes. Didn't go over very well. Even I didn't like them :P
    Amazingly, he is pretty much on board now. There was a little bit of grumbling. And then when the dinners kept coming to the table all meat and veggies, his comment was "I'm glad you found a plan that matches what I like...please tell me you won't ever make those nasty grains again"
    Breakfast was the hardest, but I think we are past that now. We both teach, so mornings are usually pretty fast paced trying to get ourselves and the kids out the door.

It's been 59 days since I went Primal. No grains at all. Sugar was out until Christmas. I had a piece of fudge and felt like I had downed a shot. I held out for some Christmas Keelies. I had two of those last night. Not nearly as yummy as I remembered. And my teeth hurt afterwards. I asked my husband, and he said his did too.
    I've officially converted him!! He made popcorn last night (his vice) and only ate a few handfuls. Said that it just didn't taste right. Wahoo
    I have some before pics to get posted. Later today maybe. I'm scared!!

Have you tried coconut flour yet? You can make some really yummy breads and muffins.
    I saw your recipe on your journal. Planning to try it (at least for the family). It would make a great breakfast to grab and go.

I'm starting a Whole30 today (other than the HC in my coffee). I have been drinking way to much coffee during the break. I know that will stop again when school starts back up. Until then, it will be my only cheat

Okay. Here goes.
    This is my before-before picture. It was before I started Turbo Jam and cutting sugar. Introducing "better" whole grains and low fat eating

I got to here and then the weight started to creep back on when I started teaching. I was still working out the same, even harder (P90X). The sugar in the workroom was my nemesis.

So. Here I am. 59 days into Paleo. I've lost 7 lbs. (6 inches overall).

I am starting the Whole30 today and won't measure or weigh again until January 31st. My only cheat will be some heavy cream in my coffee and I plan to cut that when we go back to school on the 3rd.

My stats this morning:
    Weight - 152#
    Bodyfat (w/ calipers) - 21%
    Waist - 29 3/4 in.
    Hips - 38 1/2 in.
    Thigh - 20 in.
    Upper Arm - 11 in.
    Chest - 34

Ready to bring out the caveman/woman in myself
    I have only worked out twice and done a couple of hikes and moderate walks in the past 60 days.
    Yesterday I did a ChaLean Extreme workout. My plan is to continue to use my DVD's. Do yoga. Walk.

Rhoda

Paleobird Guest
    You are so brave and I am such a wuss. I salute you and your willingness to make your imperfections public, knowing that they will soon be history.

Robin

MasterB is offline Member
    Good luck with it! You have already done so well, keep it up!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You are so brave and I am such a wuss.
    Robin...I doubt that. There was anxiety and then posting remorse. I considered deleting it right after I posted it. Then, I realized that I won't wear that silly bikini swimming, but I just posted it on the internet. That's more people seeing me in it than would ever be at the busiest swimming hole around here!! AHHH!! It's a very vulnerable feeling. I'm just hoping it works to my advantage by motivating me.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast