Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (rant) Why won't people even TRY ? page

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member

(rant) Why won't people even TRY ?

Primal Fuel
    I've had some really frustrating conversations in the last few weeks. this is the usual rant I guess but I need to get it off my chest! What is it that people are such bloody SHEEP and won't consider that maybe, just maybe, what they think they know is wrong - and that their doctor doesn't have all the answers?

I explained to a someone about wheat, and how my tests had been negative but I felt so much better. They kept going on about dairy. 'maybe it's really dairy but you don't realize'. WTF? But I quit gluten and feel better. What's dairy got to do with it? Aparrently if medical tests don't prove it, it ain't so. They have ongoing IBS. I suggested they try giving up wheat for a few weeks. But they don't eat much bread....

And then another person. Diagnosed with diabetes. (It's all inter-related, I tell them). Now having tests for celiac. "I won't be able to eat ANYTHING!" they whine. I suggest she goes gluten free for a bit anyway, because not everyone creates measurable antibodies. It worked for me, why not try it? "Oh I'll wait and see what the tests say..."

I've read the studies. The evidence is clear, gluten can be bad for you whether you show measurable reactions or not. Some people have severe problems with it but it just doesn't register on the IgA test. Do I have to print out a sheet to pass out?

Oh and to cap it off, there was the saturated fats comment - she has to lose weight because of the diabetes. "You're so slim" she says. "I eat fats" I say. "Oh I can't, she said - I cut out the saturated fat and sugar and started walking." I sigh.... it was the walking and the sugar, and possibly overall calories... stop blaming the fat. But I don't say it. "There's evidence that saturated fat isn't bad for you" I say. "Not for me, she says.... the weight.... "

For heaven's sake. It makes me so sad - these people have serious health issues, issues that could become life threatening, but they won't even consider an alternative. It's not like I'm telling them I've seen a ghost or God spoke to me, they'd probably believe that. But give up wheat? Even for a few weeks? No, we won't try that.

I know I've whined about this before, I know it's pointless. It's just when you're sitting across the table from someone who is talking about their health, and you have a solution and they won't listen...

oh well....

Balance is offline Senior Member
    It's really difficult. I have to bite my tongue so I don't start a huge debate when my friends talk about low fat dieting, trianing for marathons and watching the Dr. Oz show. My dad always appears to know everything about the human body but his diet is so inconsistent. You can try to tell them but they have to be willing to make a lifestyle change which is hard to do. Some people don't really make the jump until something really goes wrong like auto-immune issues, or weight gain that doesn't stop even with tons of exercise.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    I have several friends absolutely going CRAZY trying to lose weight and gain energy... all of which watched over 70 lbs just melt off me over the course of a few months.... will they try what i did...NOPE! Why? Fear of heart attacks and high cholesteral.... UGHHH. I feel ya!
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    You cannot convert people. Keep before and after pics and test results and show them but if they won't see the light there is nothing you can do.

It is one of the situations where you have to be selfish and just worry about yourself and, where possible, lead by example.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

IntrinsicArt is offline Senior Member
    It's not like I'm telling them I've seen a ghost or God spoke to me, they'd probably believe that. But give up wheat? Even for a few weeks? No, we won't try that.
    LOL! So true.

Ditto most of what you just typed out. I had a few similar conversations over the weekend. You could see my words going in one ear and out the other.

It is one of the situations where you have to be selfish and just worry about yourself and, where possible, lead by example.
    It is unfortunate, but true. And so frustrating, especially if you care about the person. If they don't want to change, they won't. You can only work on fixing things for yourself.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    These days, health is for people lucky enough to be born with it. The rest of us have to suffer, you know. So be quiet and take your meds.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    These days, health is for people lucky enough to be born with it. The rest of us have to suffer, you know. So be quiet and take your meds.
    Bwahahaha! Oh that's so true!

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    We saw some family members over the holidays who we hadn't seen in quite a few months. They commented on how good DH & I looked and asked what we've been doing. DH smiled and said "eating lots of bacon, eggs, red meat, and butter!" They kind of said "No really, what have you been doing?"

We tried to explain but we got the gasping response of "how can you eat all that fat?!" Something must be working.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I am coming to the realization that everybody for the most part is insane. They have been trying the same way to lose weight for years and years with little to no results. Of course insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I have an overweight relative that I kept trying to change over to PB. She has been dieting for years with very little positive results. She keeps going back to weight watchers thinking that this time is the time and she is miserable as she does it. I tried explaining some of the ideals and nutrition and she told me that different things work for different people. I have stopped preaching anymore at family get togethers. My Dad hasn't though and he loves to use me as his example. I often hear him telling people that I lost 100lbs and have had no problems keeping it off using PB. The funny thing is that noone in their right mind will call me a health nut because in their eyes I am asfar from healthy as someone can get.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yep, I'm crazy, at least that's what people think when I start telling them about how I've changed my eating habits. How could I not eat rice or biscuits? I must be out of my mind to not want to have a desert after dinner, etc.

I've tried to get my Dad on board so that he may start feeling better, but he's very hesitant and makes excuses. I won't stop with him until he either gives in or tells me to fack off.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast