Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Today page

akplatt Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Im not sure if I am doing this right, but I just wanted to say I am starting SERIOUS paleo today. Had a good day of eating to kick it off. My main problem is sugar and diet soda. So here we go...

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member

Good luck, akplatt. What is your ultimate goal with paleo/primal eating?

Tarlach is offline Member

Good on you akplatt. Most people lack the fortitude to go serious paleo.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

grandma is offline Member

Go for it man!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

klcarbaugh Guest

I am doing the same thing. It will be one of the hardest things you will ever do... but if you can get passes all cravings you will be home free! When you want junk, go work out and eat some fat... it WILL pass.

Stay strong!!!

Best of luck

like Tarlach said, good for you for going all the way into the paleo, not just primal deal. Try eating something you really like only a few days a week. I have coconut milk smoothies and almond butter as treats when I need 'em.

akplatt Guest

Well, I dont know if I started off so well today. Any feedback is appreciated.

Last night dinner- chicken breasts/sauteed spinach and mushrooms. About 32 oz Diet coke( its like crack for me. Gonna be the hardest to break...)

8pm snack (because I always want something now) - 2 HUGE spoonfuls of ALmond butter. I wanted the half pan of brownies sitting there, staring at me. Instead I went for the butter..

9-15

Breakfast - 3 egg whites, 1 egg, handful of tomatoes, 1/4 avocado. Coffee/cream. Lots.

STARVING at 9:45, had a handful of almonds.

Noon - fell off the wagon (I think). At our Central Market here, they have these spring rolls with avocado/carrots/cukes/lettuce/ and nice pieces of tuna sashimi. YUM. Its just wrapped in rice paper so I think thats not paleo/primal, is it? STill hungry, so had an additional 4oz or so meat.

Does anyone realize how great a HUGE Diet Dr Pepper would be right NOW?

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Eat your eggs!! Don't ever ever throw the yolks away again, that's exactly why you were starving at 9:45. There is absolutely no reason to throw away yolks, they're the only nutritious part of the egg. If you're concerned about the cholesterol, just read Mark's post on it and you'll understand.

You're right, the spring rolls aren't primal, the rice paper is still rice! That and Tarlach will tell you the carrots, cucumber, and lettuce aren't Paleo either (not sure about the avocado?? Tarlach??)

With your dinner last night, you'll want to start moving away from chicken breast unless you add serious amounts of fat to the rest of your meal. There just isn't enough fat compared to the protein to keep you full. I really only like whole chicken anymore, and that's so I can eat the skin and dark meat. I'll mix the breast meat with (homemade) mayonaise to make chicken salad, because otherwise it's too dry and boring. You could wrap the breasts in bacon as well (nitrate free), that would add quite a bit more fat.

My husband is still addicted to Diet Coke, it drives me crazy. In my opinion you have to go cold turkey, get through the caffeine withdrawal, and never look back. Diet soda (and all sugary drinks really) taste so bad to me now after about a year or so without them, you just have to get away from all that sugar (or sugar substitute in the case of diet).

Stay strong, don't cave to the soda if you really want to get over it!!!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

akplatt Guest

Hannahc,

You rock. Thank you so much for your input. Will you continue to check on me? or maybe I can just check in with you. The avocado HAS to be paleo.. Im going to go check on that right now. Its so yummy and loaded with fat I assumed it was right under eating MEAT.

So no carrots or cucumbers, huh? Well Im okay with broccoli and spinach and tomatoes, but what else? I just bought a bag of sugar snap peas to snack on raw... are they out?

I have plenty of apples and grapes. A few peaches cause they taste so good right now.

Another question for all you out there. What about school lunches? It seems impossible to me to get my kids paleo when they have to tote a brown bag to school. Suggestions?

Travis G Guest

I just found an amazing way to kill a sugar craving and don't know why i didn't think of this earlier. Last night I sliced an apple, put a little almond butter on it, then some raisins on top of that and it was a fantastic way to end a day. The easiest (and cheapest )way to get your kids paleo, is to make them fast every day for school lunches. (jokes).

John F Guest

Diet Dr. Pepper....... stop drinking it.

Egg yolks......start eating those.

Eat more of the vegetables, meat, nuts, and less of the fruits. Consume 0 oz of diet Dr. Pepper per day.

That's my advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast