Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting Today page 2

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Actually, protein is even more satiating than fat. It takes a lot longer to process.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

OTB, maybe it depends on the person? I don't do well (read: am hungry again too soon) with high protein/lower fat ratios.

akplatt, I think you're just confusing "Paleo" with "Primal." There's a post in the archives about the difference, and Tarlach has posted several times about the exclusions in "Hard-core Paleo" versus a Primal diet. They don't include nightshades for one (tomatoes, all peppers, eggplant), and also exclude all "modernly palatable foods" (which I do kind of understand, but not 100%). I can't go that far yet, but lean more and more that way as I get more used to Primal eating. Oh, and sugar snap peas (and all peas, because they are legumes) aren't even Primal. I used to eat them before, but actually found they would make my lips burn, not sure what the reaction was but obviously something bad! I'd shoot for really understanding the Primal Blueprint ideas first (look in the Primal Blueprint 101 section for great starter posts), and keep fine tuning your diet until it really works for you.

Also, if you search the forum you'll find a couple of really great conversations about school lunches, people have posted great ideas about what they do already!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Nick Guest

Fat is fast to process, except your gut slows down gastric emptying when fat hits it, so it's still going to satisfy you for a long time. Although it's easier to just say eat fat and protein, and you'll be satisfied.

Artificial sweeteners are every bit as addictive as cocaine. I've been addicted to a non-caffeinated soda before (20-24 cans/day).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17668074

Learning enough about them finally made me quit.

Sweeteners release insulin as soon as they hit your tongue:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2008.04.271

Probably going to be a bitch to drink diet coke and intermittently fast:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2359769

They make you overeat:

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v21/n1/abs/0800360a.html

Drinking something with aspartame causes the aspartame to be metabolized into three things:

1) Formaldehyde

2) Aspartic acid

3) Phenylalanine

The formaldehyde is a fairly common thing, but in excess it can cause problems.

The aspartic acid is a neuroexcitotoxin, just like the free glutamate in MSG, and it can easily kill/lesion nerve cells that are exposed to the bloodstream, most significantly the hypothalamus, which regulates appetite, activity, sex, and generally what's screwed up in people with metabolic syndrome/leptin resistance.

The phenylalanine, particularly if you're drinking the diet coke without any accompanying food, will outcompete tryptophan for passage across the blood brain barrier, and is both converted into L-Dopa and then into other catecholamines, producing a possibly addictive reward, and simultaneously downregulating serotonin production, making you more depressed.

Plus, guess who got his friend Ronald Reagan to overrule a unanimous FDA panel decision that aspartame was not safe to allow into the food supply? Donald Rumsfeld, of course, the same chap behind such lovely debacles as selling chemical weapons to Iraq in the late 80s and getting the government to buy billions of worthless Tamiflu a few years ago because he owns a ton of stock in it.

It's important to approach quitting diet coke just like you would quitting smoking in order to be successful. It's astonishingly easy to relapse.

akplatt Guest

Nick,

Thank you so much. Man, I think its so silly that I CANNOT quit... sometimes I talk myself into "its really not THAT bad" or "at least its not CRACK (and I guess it IS)", but sh**.... I WANT TO QUIT. Thanks for taking it so seriously. Sounds like you were just like me. There is hope! I just had 3 today.. I kinda gave up. I tried drinking green tea cause water just gets so dang boring, but it didnt cut it. Thanks for such convicting information. Tomorrow is a new day!

Had a pretty good eating day today, except for the soda.

Another question...

Do we care about proportions or eating combinations? Is it ok to have just an apple as a snack, or should it be coupled with almond butter, or can I have a slice of turkey or should it be wrapped around an avocado?

Thanks!

groquette is offline Senior Member

From my own experience (and my husband's) the thing that has cut our cravings is to dramatically increase fat intake.

LOTS of butter, fat meats, bacon, eggs, mayonnaise, etc. Seriously. Lots.

When we eat enough fat chocolate doesn't even sound good. Ditto on coke and ice cream.

I used to think mac and cheese was my favorite food. Turns out if I make an awesome cheese sauce and put it on broccoli or cauliflower I like it even better than mac and cheese.

akplatt Guest

Good day so far...

Morning - 3 eggs, avocado,asparagus. Tried Mrs Dash - YUCK. Needed flavor...

Snack - about would kill my first born for a DC, but squelched it with an acai green tea

Lunch - My homemade DELICIOUS balsamic dressing, spinach, apple/walnut/sliced beef salad. ROCK ON. Very happy with this.

Need to be aware of the 3pm munchie, though......

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yum that salad does sound good. Good job avoiding the diet coke, you can do it!

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12