Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ?'s for parents page 2

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm sure going Primal will be great for your 2 yr old with Down's. And starting now, it'll become habit for her - just her idea of the normal, right things to eat - and she really will be set for life. (Thinking of my 35-year-old 'little' brother who has Down's too - habit is a powerful thing!) There's the weight advantage... and maybe it'll reduce susceptibility to depression in adult life, too, and reduce the ever-present catarrh in the meantime... and not to forget way less risk of tooth decay and needing dental work...

The more I think about this, the more excited I am for her

wifeymomof3 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    You CAN make primal fruit leather. Do you have a dehydrator?
    I had a dehydrator...sadly I sold it at a yard sale and wish I had it back. I also need to find a really good food processor...any budget friendly thoughts?

My children are big pasta and tomato sauce eaters! They just love noodles. I actually bought a can of coconut milk to try out on them. I like it, I hope they will too. The stevia is a problem for me, it's a turn off and taste bitter. I've been a big Splenda user (I know really bad), and I'm trying to break away from that.

For breakfast they like oatmeal too.

I think besides cooking more, I really need to invest in a good food processor!
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    I love Meadow's reply (along with others here.) Dealing with food intolerances, substitutions have been huge for our family. Learning how to make foods we used to eat using different ingredients has been super helpful. My husband and son don't eat strictly primal, but our son is totally gluten, dairy, corn, soy free (food sensitivities) and eats mostly primal plus white rice (cooked in bone broth) and potatoes, sometimes tapioca. Sometimes beans as well, but very occasionally. I do use maple syrup and stevia to make cococonut flour cupcakes, pancakes/waffles and muffins for him. The comfy belly blog is one of my favorite for substitution recipes (yum!) IME, from early on, I've always offered him a wide range of foods and allowed him to choose. Whether he's choosing a (pretty healthy) coconut flour cupcake for breakfast or broccoli dipped in ghee (or both!), it all seems to even out. I don't put a huge emphasis on 'dessert' or 'dinner'--everything is food and he can eat what he likes--I just make it all with ingredients I feel are nourishing to his body. This has kept us from having battles about food and, I think, has led to him eating more of a balance (meat/fat/veggies/fruits etc) than he might be eating otherwise. Some meals he'll just want a lot of fatty meat, some he'll want a lot of salad and nothing else, some he'll fill up on starches. It all seems to even out for him though, and he is almost always eating *real food*, and usually primal food at that. It has worked well for us.

Like dragonmama said, we focus on what we *can* eat. If my son wants cookies, I'll find a way to make him for them with ingredients I'm happier with. Mmmm--as for ice cream--frozen strawberries + coconut cream (cream on top of the can of full fat coconut milk) + vanilla extract + a squeeze of lemon juice + a little stevia in a food processor is amazing! You can also just combine frozen banana with strawberries (or anything else!) and a little coconut cream to make fabulous, totally primal ice cream. Finding out what your kids want, you can get really creative and find a new way to make it with different ingredients. (If you've got favorite meals you'd like to convert to primal, let us know and maybe we can help you!)

Getting the kids involved in the prep can be helpful as well. My son is much more likely to try something if he helped to make it. Sometimes he's not in the mood though, and that's ok too.

Like others said, I'd just go slow. Even start with one meal a day being primal (dinner is an easy one to make primal--meat + veg + a starch for those who want/need it--could be potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, etc...go based on what your family will eat!) You can work on adding primal substitutions as you learn them. And try out different recipes until you find the ones that work for *your* family. There are TONS out there once you start looking.

One sub for cereal is to take a/b 1/4 cup nuts (any combination), put them in a food processor and chop until the nuts are in chunks. Toss them in a bowl with some raisins and cinnamon, maybe a little stevia, and pour some coconut milk over and serve. Very much like eating breakfast cereal--has taken care of my cereal cravings when I've had them. Your kids *might* like it?

Good luck! HTH!

Yes, it's amazing the advances they are making to lead for a better life for our kiddos! At the same time, I still know food is an issue. I'm glad you are excited for her...it makes me want to really work hard to make a positive difference in her life, so her eating habits will not have negative consequences for her future!

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    I'm sure going Primal will be great for your 2 yr old with Down's. And starting now, it'll become habit for her - just her idea of the normal, right things to eat - and she really will be set for life. (Thinking of my 35-year-old 'little' brother who has Down's too - habit is a powerful thing!) There's the weight advantage... and maybe it'll reduce susceptibility to depression in adult life, too, and reduce the ever-present catarrh in the meantime... and not to forget way less risk of tooth decay and needing dental work...

The more I think about this, the more excited I am for her

TornadoGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wifeymomof3 View Post
    I had a dehydrator...sadly I sold it at a yard sale and wish I had it back. I also need to find a really good food processor...any budget friendly thoughts?
    Hamilton Beach was suggested in another thread as a good, cheap processor. I ordered model 70670 and am happy with it. Less than $50 on Amazon.

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I learned about high fat, low carb eating just over a year ago. It just rang so true for me and made me feel so much better. And I began switching my family over to "better choices" (at the time, I had a 20-yo DS, 16-yo DS, 13-yo DD, 9-yo DD and husband). I kept hoping they'd really get turned on to the idea like I have, but all they focused on was their upset tongues over the food changes. Having "stuff" in the house that we should not eat has not worked out. If they don't like what I serve, then they migrate to those poor choice foods. I wouldnt have minded if they'd have just used them "occasionally". But esp my now 17-yo DS will just sit and eat the stuff by the handfuls (and grumble cuz he's got a belly on him!). So i've decided as of now, when the bad stuff runs out, it does not come back in the house. At the same time, tho, I have really tried to prepare dishes that they like. And lots of meat. I try to always have some meat in the fridge (already prepared) so they can grab that out if they need something to eat. It has been so heartening to watch my 17-yo grab chicken out of the fridge, put a glob of butter in a pan and heat up that chicken just to eat it. I know now we are making progress.

I made an apple crisp and pumpkin pie for Christmas (using the Nourishing Traditions recipes) and neither were a hit. so there is still a lot of hit and miss as we try to find out way to being a primal family...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12