Thread: Holiday weight gain? page

Stryder is offline Junior Member

Holiday weight gain?

I have been on PB since mid September and did lose about 8 lbs over that time period. I have been a long term runner and athlete, but my weight was sneaking up on a vegan diet due to a recommendation of a diet to help my wife after a stroke.

My cholesterol actually went up in 18 months on a meatless diet and my wife's numbers never improved either. So, I had lost weight before on the Zone diet and came across information on the PB on Barefoot Ted's website (I am a barefoot runner).

The change to PB was easy for me, with no problem areas, except one night around Christmas I has a peanut butter craving, and ate like a half cup, and also had peanut butter and chocolate "buckeyes" but only 4-5 on a separate night.

It seems I have gained 3lbs almost overnight with no other changes in my diet. I have not run for three days either but I am trying to get away from exercise as a means to lose weight. I am close to my ideal weight (within 5lbs probably), and my body fat is low enough for good health. I am just curious what would cause such a quick weight gain that has stayed on for 2-3 days.

Any ideas?

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    It just sounds like water retention. You should be back to normal after a few days. When I was on holiday in the U.S recently I put on eight pounds in a week. It all came off after a few days when I came home.

r_squared02 is offline Member
    I had a similar issue - I KNEW I shouldn't have stepped on the scale this morning, lol. In 3 days I gained 4 pounds. I'm hoping that it is mostly water weight. I expected a couple of pounds, but dang!

My plan is (as of yesterday) eat as cleanly as possible and drink lots of water! I think I dehydrated myself with overindulgence in alcohol, yikes.

yeah, calories from alcohol probably didn't help either...

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    If you're going to weigh yourself at all, don't do it more than once a week. Heck, once a month is probably better, always on the same day and same time of day. Your short-term weight fluctuations usually don't reflect what you've been doing in your diet and exercise.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

r_squared02 is offline Member
    Yeah, I wouldn't really change anything about the indulgences I decided to partake in, so I'm just dealing with it now, ;-)

The number on the scale is helping combat the "sugar tantrums" my body is having today, along with the sugar hangover I had yesterday! I'm officially buckled back down.

How do you feel about it?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am probably over-obsessing...so my wife says...lol. As Mark wisely writes...I probably need to lightened...well, er loosen up...relax as it were!