Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes page 4

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    i love his picture on his blog. he looks so erudite.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    He has a new book, just out, written in more accessible terms: Why We Get Fat.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

denise is offline Senior Member
    I read - and underlined parts of The Diet Delusion". OK I may not remember it all perfectly - and so be capable of gaffs like ones mentioned in this thread - but BOY has it convinced me once and for all that CW/low fat/high carbs etc etc is a pile of .... ....well I'll leave that to the imagination.

kcult is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I would also recommend the Eades' books (start with Protein Power) and Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Oh, and definitely read "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Colpo.
    How scientifical is the Colpo book? I'm currently in a debate with my Dad about cholesterol and feel like I have a better chance if he could read something during his leisure time instead of me half assedly trying to explain it to him.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcult View Post
    How scientifical is the Colpo book? I'm currently in a debate with my Dad about cholesterol and feel like I have a better chance if he could read something during his leisure time instead of me half assedly trying to explain it to him.
    The movie Fat Head has a great segment about cholesterol with a cartoon illustration. It's very concise and easy to understand, but really gets the point across.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcult View Post
    It is pretty dry and scientific at times, lots of Appendices, and hundreds and hundreds of entries in the References section. Depends on whether you think your Dad would be likely to find it interesting or overwhelming.

megalodon is offline Senior Member
    Watch Gary Taubes on Youtube.He lectures in U.S. colleges,appears with Dr. Oz and Dean Ornish amongst other things and always puts over the good science argument in opposition to conventional "wisdom" with great effect.

In my opinion these are "must views" for any sceptic.

Pluto is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Actually, the way you describe his writing (which is accurate) is the way academics write generally. His new book is written for the layman and probably won't do that, but when you're writing to other academics, redundancy and repetition of important points is the standard way to write.
    100% true - piling on evidence is more worthy in that domain than a really vibrant case (scientist vs lawyer style)

Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm currently reading GCBC, and enjoying it quite a bit. The academics don't detract from his overall thrust for me; being naturally an academic, I find it quite refreshing.

Since I'm really not that far into the book, I'm curious to know why it is that the helpfulness of Banting's findings and self-experiment, and subsequent bantingism, was not evidence enough for the scientists to state that maybe Banting and his dietary predecessors were right. Mind you, I can hazard a guess that because grains have bolstered economies since the ancient Egyptians, the scientists may have enjoyed a pay-raise to propagate specious information.

Betty Crocker and her gang of grain-brained hooligans!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234