Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grass-Fed Beef page 2

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Shop Now

CC, grass fed cannot be more tender because there is less fat. Doesn't mean it has to be tough and stringy. Fat is what makes beef tender, the marbling. Knowing what you are eating makes for a poor sampling, you know.

As to flavor, you might well be right.

Of course, there are many factors that affect beef quality. A grass fed steer slaughtered young will probably be very good eating, not so much nearing the end of life. Yet, "grass fed, no grains."

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

OTB, what is considered young? 18-24 months?

I grok, therefore I am.

Darned if I know. I used to shovel dairy manure, that's about as close as I've gotten to beef.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

As far as I understood from the farmers I got my beef from, 24 months is not young, but when it comes to grass-fed cows, that's about as long as it takes to reach the full size.

OTB, I didn't quite understand the comment about knowing what one eats and it making for the poor sampling.

However, from a personal experience, last year we purchased 3 cases of Prime Black Angus steaks from a local wholesaler. Those same steaks were going for $1,400 for 3 boxes on their web-site, so I assume it was suppose to be a good quality. They were not grass-fed. We still have a few left over from last year when we got our 1/4 of a grass-fed cow, and I SWEAR, the grass-fed stuff was much more tender and better tasting overall.

CC, it's simple. Your interpretation of your experiences is subjective. Our minds can play large tricks on us. That's why good science comparison uses double blind testing.

To have two very different products and knowing which you are eating is not a valid comparison.

I remember a friend saying that, oh yeah, he can tell the difference in vodka quality. So we set him up a few from El Cheapo to something fairly good but not expensive and he picked the El Cheapo every time as the better one.

I'm not saying your experience isn't valid, nor that you may not be correct, but in general feedlot beef will be more tender. That's why they do it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12