Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow Grok Exercises page

LaurenKM is offline Member

Snow Grok Exercises

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I live in the Northeast and was hit with 2-3 feet of snow! I hate being indoors so I still did my workout outside although it took an hour.

This is what I did tell me what you think or any suggestions for Groking out in the snow. The entire work out I carried a heavy duty backpack with small free weights unevenly distributed for a total of 25 pounds.

Basically I alternated between walking and sprinting the entire time through uneven snow drifts. Brrrr.

I also alternated how I carried the weighted back pack during the walk/sprints such as:
    Traditional School Bag style
    One Handed on top of Right/Left Shoulder
    Gripping the ends out in front and away from my body
    Close to my body balanced on forearms
    Lifted over my head
    Held tightly to my chest

Then....
    3 sets of 12 Squats in the snow holding the backpack to my chest.
    10 times Throwing the backpack both in front and behind me

I also did some shoveling but I'm not counting that.

Any other ideas for deep snow? Honestly just trying to walk through it over small hills got my heart-rate up.

Thanks!
    Silly rabbit, grains are for birds.

frances is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! I wish I'd thought of that!!

My husband and I took a four mile walk through the snow (which took way longer than normal!). I sprinted through some of the driftier bits. I did practice some muay thai clinching techniques on my husband, dropped him into the snowbanks a few times. He did not like this, but I have mad skillz, and was able to withstand his counterattacks.

The walk took almost two hours, and my legs and butt were pretty tired by the end.

Thanks Frances! I'll still be off from work tomorrow maybe I'll try a walk with the backpack for a couple hours because I was so bored today.

Haha sounds like your husband has some practicing to do!

Nicholaas is offline Junior Member
    Shoveling. Seriously. I know you didn't count it, but digging a car out of waist-deep snow is a hell of a workout on the legs and shoulders.

Two cars! I did my elderly neighbor's as well. I think if most people are home from work again tomorrow I'll stick to shoveling. Pretty sure I freaked out my neighbors throwing a backpack around while wearing ski goggles and dragging a shovel behind me.

Nicholaas is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurenKM View Post
    Two cars! I did my elderly neighbor's as well. I think if most people are home from work again tomorrow I'll stick to shoveling. Pretty sure I freaked out my neighbors throwing a backpack around while wearing ski goggles and dragging a shovel behind me.
    Good on you, being all neighborly. I would imagine if you're shoveling them out, your neighbors would probably overlook the backpack tossing.

Hopefully!

skline2 is offline Senior Member
    After just two months of PB eTing and fitness I have noticed that shoveling my driveway is not nearly the workout that it was last year. I already have so much more strength - especially in my core.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    that sounds like a really good workout. doing anything in the snow makes it harder.
    i agree about shoveling...you're using a ton of different muscles.
    i also think that building a snow man could be a really primal exercise. you grok crawl to get a good sized snowball moving, you push around a ton of weight (make it a big snowman), and then you lift a bunch of weight. this also doubles as playing, which is key.

Quote Originally Posted by skline2 View Post
    After just two months of PB eTing and fitness I have noticed that shoveling my driveway is not nearly the workout that it was last year. I already have so much more strength - especially in my core.

That's great progress already. I really need more exercises to strengthen my core I guess anything that uses my whole body would do that though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast