Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal issues: undesired weight gain page

ylla is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Primal issues: undesired weight gain

Primal Fuel
    I have been primal for about 2 weeks now, I previously ate no grains, low carb and almost no fat, just mainly protein in the for of protein isolates. I was very very lean, awesome tone and muscle build ( I was 5ft female weighed about 97 lbs, I weigh about 110 now...and gaining still 5 ft 26 yrs old) and frequented the gym, Iwas never into cardio, i love to lift and did lots of low impact cycling and elliptical. Now I eat a lot of fat, in the form of coconut oil and animal fat mainly, also since everyone says that any sweets even sucralose (calorie free, pure not splenda) can cause an insulin response I have totally removed anything even sweet tasting. Now, I have major cravings for something sweet, so I consume almond butter and coconut milk, since they are slightly sweetish, I est about 4-6 tablespoons of almond butter and about 1/2 -3/4 coconut milk the almond butter I eat has 6 carbs for 2 tablespoon 4 of which are fiber, the coconut milk has 2 carbs for 1/2 1 of those being sugar. but they are a huge calorie bomb! I currently do crossfit in which most the members are all primal followers and the routines are all based on this theory. I do have an issue with hunger, I can eat food, and I mean eat! I feel hungry all the time it doesn't matter how much I eat; I dont feel satisfied. However when I used to conquer those feelings in the past I would drink about 7 cups of herb tea sweetened with sucralose. I consume zero added sugar now, I don't even eat berries much maybe 3-5 raspberries 3x per week
    I would really appreciate some honest comments, please. I am hoping to find others with a similar problem who have or are trying to conquer

By the way, My weight gain is not muscle or water, it is fat. And no, my jeans totally do not fit me....

I have just researched regarding insulin responses to non nutritive sweeteners such as sucralose they do trigger a insulin response http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0005106
    However in the research a plant originating from India was used to inhibit such insulin responses effectively http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnema_sylvestre
    I did more research it apparently used for diabetes! thoughts anyone???
    Last edited by ylla; 12-27-2010 at 03:26 PM.

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    Try use something like www.fitday.com to measure and track your ratios of fat, protein and carbohydrates so we can get an indication as to the total % of your diet from fat sources.

I have an exerspy so I track my calories on dotfit.com my ratios come out to 33% protein 6% carb 61% another day 20%protein 11% carb 69%fat
    another day 18% protein 9% carb 73 % fat

tarek is online now Senior Member
    Try cutting back on the almond butter. The average serving size of most nut butters is 2 tablespoons. Eating large amounts of nuts and seeds can produce many of the same undesirable effects of eating grains.

Agreed looks like i need to take out almond butter! but what is left to snack on?

what do you guys think about mims? (muffin in a minute, they are made of ground flaxmeal an egg 1 pat of butter 1/2 tsp baking pwdrand u can add salt or cinnamon) im eating a salad w a chicken sausage just about finished and i do believe i feel hungrier :/

tarek is online now Senior Member
    You can still snack on nuts, just watch how many you consume. Try eating a tablespoon or two of almond butter with an apple, a pear or some celery. You could also have a banana with creme fraiche, some berries with heavy whipping cream, or some frozen mango with coconut milk. If you're not too too keen on eating fruit, you could make lots of hardboiled eggs a few days in advance and snack on those. Jerky is another option. :]

mmmmmm jerky, sounds good. Well I will continue, I just purchased a ticket or whatever to primal con coming this april so I will thoroughly monitor and journal all experiences so that my questions can be properly assessed! Hopefully with enough research and of course trial and error we can all tweak accordingly

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    How many calories are you consuming? Maybe that much fat doesn't suit you?
    Last edited by Sue; 12-27-2010 at 04:41 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I consume about 2k calories a day. Maybe I should fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast