Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to eat when you've got the flu? page

duckmama is offline Senior Member

What to eat when you've got the flu?

What do you eat when you've got the flu? My hubby & I have been sick with a stomach bug for a few days. We're starting to feel better and wanting to eat a little bit, but the traditional B.R.A.T. diet that's recommended for flu-recovery is not very primal. I tried eating a scrambled egg this morning, and it didn't sit well at all. Any suggestions? Should we just follow the B.R.A.T. diet for a few days until this passes?

jimpag is offline Senior Member
    I would say absolutely not. Try things like primal soups, bone broths and very light primal stuffs, maybe some veggie juice etc. And eat very very slow and feel how your body reacts.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I seem to remember BRAT has been disproven as a way to speed recovery anyway. (Which, given the dominance of grains in BRAT, makes sense!)

Eat exactly what you feel like eating...your body knows what it needs to recover.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Feed a cold/starve a fever. Just go with what feels right. You may find nice hot crispy bacon will go down well, I'd avoid eggs and dairy though as they are mucus encouraging. What is B.R.A.T?
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Grizz is offline Banned
    If you were taking enough Vitamin D you would not have got the flu. You need 5,000 IU to 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 daily.

Now that you have the flu, take 20,000 IU daily for a week, then settle back to 10,000 IU daily for 2 months, get your blood test and adjust your dosage for an optimum blood level. See details below.

Your immune system does not function properly without Vitamin D, and this makes you susceptible to MANY diseases.
    http://www.naturalnews.com/z028357_v...eficiency.html

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 12-27-2010 at 02:18 PM.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    I just went through the same thing, lasted about a day and a half.

I didn't eat anything, just coconut juice and water for hydration. Some sugar in the coconut juice but I was fine.

Came out of it a couple pounds lighter, lol.

When I was ready to eat I just had a normal meal. If I weren't eating primally it would have been a VERY different story. I would have been ravenous 12 hours into my unplanned fast and would have forced myself to eat something.

Now, thanks to my better body and appetite, I sailed through the stomach flu just fine, and even avoided being chained to the toilet by not eating. Who knows if that's healthy, but my body was signaling that it was fine.
    Last edited by shiggles; 12-27-2010 at 01:32 PM.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Chicken soup with lots of celery, onions and garlic, carrots, cabbage. Call it "Jewish Penicillin" or "Croatian Penicillin" or whatever goes in your family, but have lots.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    It would be bone broths for me. And some water with lemon/lime in it.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    If you were taking enough Vitamin D you would not have got the flu. You need 5,000 IU to 10,000 IU Vitamin D3 daily.

Now that you have the flu, take 20,000 IU daily for a week, then settle back to 10,000 IU daily for 2 months, get your blood test and adjust your dosage for an optimum blood level. See details below.

Your immune system does not function properly without Vitamin D, and this makes you susceptible to MANY diseases.

Grizz
    Hey Grizz~ My husband who has been taking 12,000 IUs /day D3 for a year got a bad head cold over Christmas--and I didn't (I take 8,000 IUs.) He hasn't had his levels checked yet, and I am certainly interested in knowing what they are! As you know, I tested at 91 this month.

IntrinsicArt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What is B.R.A.T?
    It is supposed to be an easy to digest diet. Our nurse recommended it the first time my daughter caught a stomach bug.
    Bananas
    Rice
    Apples
    Toast
    My hubby and I caught a stomach bug about 2 weeks into Primal. I know it wasn't carb flu because he wasn't full on board yet and we both went down. It was hard to find things that settled when all we could think of was warm buttered toast. We made it though.
    Soups. Water. And lots of sleep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast