Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone here smoke cigarettes? page 5

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    I gave up almost two years ago. I quit cold turkey - I tried the electronic cigs for a bit but they made me want a real cigarette even more.

For me cigarettes were a stress reliever and a comfort. It was hard to give up what was my crutch. I had the urge to replace it with alcohol but resisted.

I was heavily into fitness and PB eating (for about two years) which was partly why I quit eventually. But over time I lost my resolve and began to comfort eat and do less and less exercise until I stopped bothering all together, telling myself that it was okay because at least I wasn't smoking. Two years later I am two stone heavier! I think smoking messed with my metabolism. Its a clear appetite suppressant but then, as I said, I am a comfort eater. I can be quite anxious and stressy and thats what attracted me to smoking - it calmed me down. Food replaced it and I ballooned.

I think to give up smoking you have to understand why you liked it in the first place and what you were using it for. Then deal with that thing. So for me, I have been dealing with my anxiety and stress and learning not to comfort eat and have been able to get back onto exercising and eating well again and remembering why PB is so good.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    When I decided to "take charge" of my health a few years ago, I gave it some thought, and quit the 30 year smoking habit first (started in high school).

It wasn't easy, and wasn't cold turkey per se since I used the hell out of nicotine mints for a long time, but it broke the reflex, and broke the association of needing a smoke after food, drink, stress or sex.

After two years of being smoke free (and a few months off the mints), I was also at my heaviest ever at 316 pounds, up 30 pounds from the start of my smoking cessation (47, Male, 5'11"). That's when I started Primal/paleo, in November of 2011. Once again, I gave it a great deal of thought and decided to keep it simple. Eat real food, keep the carbs low, and avoid "working out" but at the same time increase my walking and basic moving.

As of this morning I'm 199 pounds. There were a few plateaus, and a few periods away from home where I had to go off the reservation, but overall the loss has been steady and my health is remarkably better. Now that I've hit my personal goal of being under 200 pounds, I'm ready to move on to the "lift heavy things" phase.

That's just me though, I knew I had to focus on one thing at a time, or risk not doing any of it.
    Last edited by Croak; 04-01-2013 at 12:28 AM.

elvenhp is offline Member
    I quit a year and 3 months ago. I smoked for 24 years ending at about a pack and a half a day. I quit by using chantix for 3 months. Best decision I ever made. Both parents died of lung and heart problems. Hardest thing I ever did and I still battle some days but its worth it. Good luck!!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Tobacco free since March 2011 here.

elvenhp is offline Member
    I quit last march after smoking a pack and a half a day for 24 years. I used chantix for 3 months. Best and hardest thing I've ever done.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paneristi View Post
    ...if you're still a smoker, do you want to quit in the near future?
    Nope.

I guess I'm weird. I smoke a cigarette a few times a week, other times I go months and don't smoke one, doesn't seem to addict me.

It goes good with a drink every now and then, quite tasty.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    I quit by using an electronic cigarette. I bought my own nicotine base, vegetable glycerine, and propylene glycol to make my own e-juice(much cheaper than buying). I've tried everything else and this was by far the easiest and almost effortless stab I took at quitting. It's been years since I quit. Still have all my e-smoking stuff, not sure why. I think at one time I was going to use no nicotine juice as a crutch during trying times.

piotruslalka is offline Junior Member
    I highly suggest looking into the Allen Carr Book.
    I used to smoke around a pack a day. I bought the book because I thought it was a joke that the reviews were so good on amazon. I haven't smoked since August 6th. I know its not a long time, but its more the mindset. I really feel as though I have zero desire to smoke again and am confident I will not have another one ever again.

It's weird. It's not even really that much brainwashing and saying you will never smoke blah blah blah. it's more like just breaking down every little excuse you could have to want to or enjoy smoking and then leave you thinking -- why do I smoke?

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    Quit date-04/01/13
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I quit in Feb 2004. My last cig is a whole story in itself but that's just to long to write it, and quite embarrassing ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast